1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Toyota Prius Spy Shot

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Could it be? Real or fake? You guys take a look and see what you think.

[​IMG]

Originally from Flickr

Attached Files:

2. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Where is the Pic From??
    Hard to tell if its real or just a mod. :confused:

3. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Looks real to me. Looks like it has a few added panels taped on to disguise some things. Typical of a new model that's getting some highway testing.

We see stuff like that all the time around Mt Evans in Colorado. They come there for high altitude testing.

4. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well it's not photoshopped I don't think, but who knows if it's a new model testing or mods or what. What we do know is that IT UGLY!

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The picture is originally from a Flickr set - 2009/2010 Toyota Prius Spy Shot en Flickr: ¡Intercambio de fotos!

I'm not sure if I believe the photo or not... It is somewhat hard for me to believe that Toyota would allow a vehicle that they are trying to keep so closely guarded out into a busy area like that - it's a full parking lot, for Pete's sake.

6. abcdefgary

abcdefgary New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I like the wheels, though. Looks like something off the Lexus GS line.

It could be real, because it seems that every new car is doing the "accented edge by door handles" design thing (see picture below).

http://autoshow.roadfly.com/wp-content/gallery/2009-acura-tsx/2009-acura-tsx.jpg

But I thought it was going to be a bigger car? It looks a bit longer in the trunk area compared to that 2nd generation.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming it's not an amazing photoshop, I think that could be the 10. Better if they got both in pic w/o dude in the way.

The silhouette just does not resemble the current at all

The door sills (tops of doors) seem to be a little higher than current which is a trend on some new models (see the 2009 Matrix)

It appears slightly larger overall to me.

I don't know of any other car on the road like that.

-----------
    on list at 2 d'ships, targeting Early 2010 so as not to get first batch off the line.

8. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I like the trunk with the tail lights, but it is hard to tell if it's photoshoped or not. it also looks like they kept all that white plastic prtectant material over the lights and paint.

9. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Notic the changes in
    - wheels
    - tail lights
    - rear bumper
    - C-pillar
    - door handle (taped up)
    Overall, I think it has been "Camrized", and I don't mean that for a bad thing.

10. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    looks a bit smaller to me
    not longer but wider

11. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Look close. Note that the taillights and all the body panels are covered with something to disguise them. Those sharp edges and funky looking taillights are just covers. Typical of a new model being tested. They want to hide the new body from spy shots. The only thing that makes me think it's for real is the rear hatch. The license plate area is lower and a different shape entirely. That's different sheet metal for sure. The rest could just be cardboard

12. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If I was the manufacturer I would disguise a current model year Prius just to throw people off the scent. ;) If these decoy Prius' were traveling around then it would drive down the price/excitement of catching a new photo.... Hiding in plain site. :)

Mike

13. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it may be a spy shot. this is how toyota does it. I've been tracking their new entry cars for a while now. It's always like this. plus.. they test all their cars in the U.S. before they are released... just like any other car manufacturer...

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  15. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From everything I've read, including your 'inside' posts, it appears to be the real thing, the new '10. As I understand it the new model will still be a 5 door hatch just a little longer and wider, maybe a smidge lower. If so I'm not surprised that this looks much like the outgoing Gen2.

16. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It has the camo panels you always see on test mules. I'm sure it's the next gen undergoing testing. Don't get too excited about anything cosmetic (except, perhaps, the overall dimensions) since the real details are covered.

17. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    From enlarging the pic on my computer and comparing it to the current Prius, the body panels all around the car are clearly different. The front and rear corners of the side windows are a slightly different shape. Although it may be debatable over whether the pic is real or a photoshop fake, it looks real to me. So now, I ask myself whether it is a Toyota prototype or just an aftermarket custom. I have seen a lot of really advanced customized cars here in CA. I've seen customizers change pretty much everything. It could be a custom. The areas of the windows that are different do not affect the structural integrity of the A and C pillars - they look like simple sheet metal modifications. It's easy to cut a new shape piece of glass for the window. Changing the shape of the rear bumper is one of the most common modifications. HOWEVER, changing the shape of the doors is NOT a common modification - usually, you only see that for autoshow company cars. It is possible that this Prius could be for an aftermarket company for an autoshow. Or, it could be a Toyota - but wouldn't they be testing it in Japan? Maybe not. From what I've read, the Japanese aren't really that into cars these days. And San Francisco has one of the highest concentrations of Prius cars in the nation. It would be an excellent place to test public reaction. Because Flickr boy didn't post a full-size pic, the world may never know.
    Criticism/venting: I hate it when people don't post the original, full-size pics on Flickr!
    Usually, it is someone posting shots of themselves and their friends and trying to hide their flaws. What is this Prius poster trying to hide????

18. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow.. you just said a whole lot of nothing...

anyways... I like that CTS photo. it's a perfect example of how they test. Make it look like the current car.. and whatever doesn't look similar.. cover up. If it's too different, change the colors.. that way it's hard to tell what it really looks like because you can no longer eye out the angles.

example: [​IMG]

no.. that's a modified sequoia :rolleyes: haha.. when it's really the new 08 model we now see around. (again.. covering the changes from the current model.)

i can't wait to see more photos !

19. abcdefgary

abcdefgary New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Do you guys think that there is a possibility that this could be the 2009 model?

I do know that some cars get minor exterior changes (taillights, bumpers, etc.). The shape is entirely the same, I thought the new generation was going to be more aggressive.

But someone already said in another subforum that the '09 is just a carryover from the '08, so that's out of the question.

20. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No, there's no chance. Someone has already posted that they physically have in their procession a '09 model sales brochure and it's a carry over from '08.

Mike