1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Unveiling Webcast - Where's Steve Jobs when you need him?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jpadc, Jan 12, 2009.

1. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't have any luck getting on between 7 and noon either.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We had a nice lunch but due to technical difficulties, the picture quality was poor and the colors somewhat washed out. Then some of the Prius folks began making "Mystery Science Theater 3000" comments as various shadows popped up at the bottom of the screen. I fully expected to see the shaddow of Crow T. Robot or Tom Servo ... we had their voices and attitudes. <grins>

What was funny was the reaction of the non-Prius folks, honored guests, who had never really met us before. They were bemused and sometimes confused at what we treated as applause lines. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Unfortunately the website was down because of technical unknowns (unreachable database)

4. txtabby

txtabby 2011 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's up now on the Toyota site... not the full press conference though. Anyone know when they are going to produce the plug-in Prius? Once that comes out then I'll trade in my '07.

5. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So it's not a plug in, correct? Only a gas hyrbrid, correct?

Also, I'd be willing to bet that the 2nd gen Prius value will plummet when the 2010 goes on sale. JMO.

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "zero-to-sixty acceleration time has dropped from the previous generation’s mid 10-second range to 9.8 seconds, making it comparable to that of an average midsize sedan with a 2.4-liter engine"

BALONEY!!!

And the improvement is not that much as predicted (.7 seconds or 6.7 % for a 20 % engine size increase). That extra engine weight, rotation momentum over power the two motors during electric launch enough to keep the time down compared to what simply a engine swap in a traditional vehicle might infer.

I am not interested in highway mileage myself. I rarely get out on road trips. I want my 74 mpg pulse and glides!!! With the extra weight and pulse consumption, I have a feeling the P and G perfromance will be down in the mid 60's now. What happened to the much balyhooed 25 % fuel economy increase spoken about? I think that got gobbled up by Mr. 1.8 liters!!! I am having an Americanized VW TDI moment here !!!

The exhaust heat recovery system is VERY welcomed modification for my driving enviorment.

The touch tracer is a response to the poor and unchanging (lack of functional indication) in the 2nd Gen Prius steering wheel button lights. Good Idea.

BUT THEY GOTTA MOVE THAT SPEEDOMETER BACK INLINE WITH THE DRIVER!

7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I seriously doubt it, especially when gas prices go back up (and they will). It will be one of the best fuel-mileage and most reliable used cars on the market.

8. mrv

mrv Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    for this shortish (5'2" on a good day) woman, I'm glad to see the spedometer back in the middle of the dash, where I'm used to it on my Classic Prius. There's a better sight line for us shorter folks to see over the dashboard with the info in the center, rather than blocking our view in front of the steering wheel.

Then again, with the adjustable-height driver's seat, and the telescoping/tilt steering wheel, the driver's seat is a lot more accomadating for more differently built people.

9. mrv

mrv Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    correct, not yet a plug-in.

Back in 2003, after the announcement of the newly redesigned 2004 Prius, sales of new 2003 Prius plummeted, and could be found cheaply on dealer lots. Once the new 2004 Prius was out, there was also a flood of used Classic Prius on the market as owners traded-up to the new model. But, sales of the used Prius were good, as some people "settled" on it instead of the months-long waiting lists at some dealers. Used sales of the 2004 Prius when people got their hands on one were usually selling for more than the new pricing (including taxes/registration), so there were a few Prius speculators "flipping" the new 2004 Prius at the time...

10. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I second MRV in her comments and please to add that me, being 6.1ft with long legs, all seat adjustments, lumbar, height and longer sliding travel is more accommodating to the American market, different than the original designed one. The dream of many already came through.

11. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I read, I think in "Consumer Reports", that the plug-in will only be available in fleet cars, at least at first. Correct me if I'm wrong.

12. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I predicted this last week. The atmosphere and hype here on PriusChat matched that over on TDIclub before the common-raid TDI was announced. It was going to be bigger, more powerful, faster, and more fuel-efficient.

The TDI went from 100 HP to 140 HP and from 11.0 seconds to 8.9 seconds in the 0-60 but fuel economy stayed the same.

Here on PriusChat the 2010 Prius was going to be bigger, faster, and go from 46 mpg to 60 mpg.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Remember, the tires are wider as well. Seeing it in person, I am impressive with the interior, exterior, and the build quality. This experience adds more itch to upgrade but I love my 06!