1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 vs 2011 vs 2012 oil consumption

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by yumseyo, Mar 10, 2016.

1. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Special measures...check the oil level when filling up. Worked in the "loose" engine old-days...still works now.

Greenteapri likes this.
  2. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Hmm, update time. Vehicle now at 237,073 miles getting regular 50-52 mpg. Got an oil change at my 230K dealer service and just now measured an astoundingly low burn rate. I don't have many data points but I do have some. After doing a little math I calculated an average oil burn rate up through February of this year of 3,856 miles per quart of oil. The last two plots though were at 6,467 and today 11,070 miles. I get the Toyota synthetic 0W20 at every 10K oil change, and I'm still topping up with the same Valvoline oil product. No changes to the route or weather, same old hot Arizona. Somewhat fewer miles the past three months due to telework. For those who will ask, no, I have not done anything with my EGR circuit. I haven't even gazed past the throttle plate to the bottom of the intake manifold. I used to be much more of a DIY. I should at least be thankful I suppose.

farmecologist and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Attila Fekete

Attila Fekete Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since about 1997 Toyota require oil change at 1 year / 15k km (~9320 miles).
    My 2015 prius have ~90k miles, oil changed about yearly / 9k miles with 0w-20 oil. No consumtion is recognised.
    My experience with thicker oil in other Toyota engine was it decreased the oil consumtion on a price killing the engine sooner.
    (I was using 5w-30, then 10w-30 for a year. The increment of oil consumption of 5w-30 was much more after that year.) Expected as oil will not replace failed rings.

4. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Those last two "measurements" were questionable at best. I could go back and check my math, but a better idea was to perform another measurement. Vehicle now at 244,008 miles and latest calculated one quart burn rate is back down to a more reasonable estimate of 4672 miles. I am beginning the search for a suitable replacement, thinking about a well maintained used around the 2017 model year. Wish me luck!