1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 with P2103 code

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Team_Geek, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Team_Geek

Team_Geek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

On Wednesday my boy forgot the dome lights on overnight. Thursday morning in the MN -20F weather the battery was pretty run down. I got the battery out of the car into my heated garage and proceeded to thaw it out. It had about 11v when I brought it in. Have it about an hour with a fan on it to warm up then charged for about four hours. It took a full charge and seemed to be ok.
    Put it back in the car and everything started up fine. Kids drove it to school on Friday no issues.

This morning my boy goes to use the car and the triangle and check engine lights are on and main display says check hybrid system. Torque says I have P2103 Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit High.

Car starts and idles ok. If I stomp the gas pedal it does rev the engine. Haven’t tried to drive it yet. Torque says 14.6v on the battery. HV battery is like 7/8 bars.

Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    start with the 12v, 14.6 is the inverter.

check it at the jump point with the car off. then turn the head lights on, and check it again after 15 minutes

3. Team_Geek

Team_Geek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah I’d suspect I’ve got a surface charge on the battery after running for 10 min. Will check the battery voltage after sitting overnight.

bisco likes this.
  4. Team_Geek

Team_Geek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do I need to clear the code before I test again? Assuming the battery is still in the 12.6v range after surface charge is gone.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just disconnect the 12v neg for a minute. maybe the throttle body just needs cleaning, idk

6. Team_Geek

Team_Geek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Battery this morning is at 12.18v or 55% SoC from what my charger says. It is -6F outside today. Ran the engine for about 10 min last night and this is about 16 hours later.
    Have the charger on it now will clear the code and see if it goes away. Suspect battery took more of a beating than I’d hoped when it discharged the other day.

Anyone else have thoughts?

bisco likes this.
  7. Team_Geek

Team_Geek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Battery finished charging. Pulled the negative cable for a minute and started it up. No codes at the moment.
    I went out for a little drive (still -5F) and it drained the hybrid battery down to like 40% going 55 mph and when I’d slow down the engine would rev quite high. I’m thinking this was some low power/cold mode as it seemed to get better after running for a while and my HV battery came back up to 60% of so after a little bit.
    I’ll check the 12v tomorrow morning and see what SoC it has. I’d bet it is low again.

8. Team_Geek

Team_Geek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Already back to 12.18v a few hours later and one short trip in town. Looks like I’m buying a battery

bisco likes this.