1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 won't shift into gear

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ri prius, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Ri prius

Ri prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a 2010 prius. Prior to sitting due to Vivid it ran perfect. I tried to drive it recently. The vehicle powers up, however all the warning lights come on but the car won't go into gear (reverse or drive). Another weird thing is that I can't turn it off with foot in brake i can't seem to go d any information on this problem I need a little help, any ideas are very helpful

2. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is there a ready light?
    Check you 12V battery, located at the rear of the Prius..

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

tankyuong likes this.
  3. Ri prius

Ri prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I will have check on the ready light. I am embarrassed to say I never notice it. I will also look at the battery. Thank you for the s suggestion.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You're welcome and I hope it's as simple as 12V being discharged..

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Ri prius

Ri prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Switched out the battery back to running normal. Thanks so much.

Umar Ali likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  7. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you let it sit for too long with hybrid battery not enough charged, could have depleted your traction battery and now it cannot start ICE. just check traction battery level if it has any bars left

8. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think that would caused this though. We would never know, until he checks the 12V battery. Its the 12V that controls the electronics of the car, including powering up the HV relays, before the car can even go into ready. But in this case, he's looking at y it it didn't go into D/R.
    The dashboard could be lit, but if the juice in that battery is not OK, it would never go into D/R, talk less of READY.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thats true, aux battery does cause christmas lights. i have had that happen abt 3 years ago and it was throwing all kind of error codes making no sense but car would still go in drive.

10. Steve mack

Steve mack New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    2009 prius 120K miles. Bought used, has it inspected, all checks good. Drives fine for thousands of miles, took it for a recent 15 min drive, turn it off. About 5 min later, I came back and won't start, all lights flashing on dash, full gas tank shows 1 bar, won't shift, eventually all squares in the drive/park/reverse grid on the dash flash the borders and then engine check light comes on and also the triangle.. Try two more times to start, same result, lthe second time lights eventually stop turning on , car acts like 12 v battery is dead. Go to jump the car, car turns on and the middle screen says " "There is a problem with the transmission "P" lock mechanism Park your your car on a flat surface and fully apply the parking brake." While the car is running, I fully push the parking brake down, let it stay there for a few seconds and press it again to release. We removed the jumpers, I turn it off, try to restartt car goes back into fail mode, redo the jumpers, turn the car back on and then depress the parking brake fully, wait a second, release. And the car works. Ran an ODBI scan after it was running and no problems noted. This has been a reliable car, not sure what to make of the problem or the fix, but the car appears to know what was wrong and knew the message to display to fix it. Not sure why it took a jump to get there, can't say if this is a fix for all, but it worked this time.

bisco likes this.
  11. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Replace that 12volt battery with a new one. You just got the problem sorted put temporarily. The problem would still reoccur.