1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 - won't start - dash lights up like Christmas tree

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Cyen, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Cyen

Cyen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looking for advice on this strange problem...
    2010 Prius.
    approx 75000 miles.

Went out yesterday, and car would not start, and dashboard lit up like crazy and started doing odd things.
    1) Car did sit for approx 5 days without being used (today is day 6).
    2) we had 1-2 days of warm temps (high 50's) and 2-3 days of cold temps (28º or so).

in 2015, I let car sit for 7 days and battery died completely. Jumped it and car was fine ever since.

I did a lot of searching on these message boards and my gut is telling me that it is a 12v battery issue, but wanted to hear what some of you thought about it.

Press Brake, push on button like normal, dash lights up.
    I hear beeping noise 5x.
    various dash lights are lit:
    • Slippery when wet
    • seat belt (I forgot to check if I had seatbelt on at that point, so that might go out).
    • Battery light
    • Brake light (emergency break) - (E brake is off).
    • Check engine
    • circle that looks like a steering wheel with exclamation point
    • ABS
    • Low tire pressure light

Now here's some more weirdness...
    Radio appears to be on (I have Sirius and it tells me what song is playing) BUT there's no music.
    When I press the break pedal, the radio turns off, and display goes blank. When I take foot off brake, radio turns back on (again with no sound).
    As I sit and watch the dash, sometimes it goes off completely, sometimes various lights go out.
    I hear a blower running - which I think is my heater.

Headlights seem to be ok (maybe a little dim? Checked it during the day).
    Dome light seems to be ok - again might be a little dim?

Could not shut the vehicle off, with foot on break, had to remove foot, then hit ON button and it seems to shut off then (as if it were in AUX mode).

I tried using a jump battery to jump it using the front fuse box method, with no change - same symptoms.
    (jump pack only registered at 50% charge, but light said it was ok to jump).

Tow truck is already on it's way, and will be dropping it off at dealer in a bit, but wanted to get some of your thoughts before I hear from the dealer - which they said their booked solid for today and won't look at it until tomorrow morning.

Sorry so long winded.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check the 12 volt with a multimeter, with the car off. Postpone the tow if possible, till after that check??

Depending on the outcome, I'd say you could just be getting a lift to Pep Boys, dealership or whatever, to pick up a replacement 12 volt. Towing to dealership sounds like an expensive exercise.

Is it the original battery, btw?

#2 Mendel Leisk, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    scona and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    concur^^^

scona likes this.
  4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That 12V battery should/maybe pass its life already.

Get another battery, and try it.

5. Cyen

Cyen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the replies already.
    UPDATE: Triple A guy showed up, asked what the issue was (I explained the above).
    He got in the driver seat, saw the same thing, and looked at the dome light, and said without any hesitation, "It's your battery."
    He proceeded to get out his "JNC660" portable jump starter, and hooked it up via the front fuse box, and sure enough... it started up with no problems at all.
    I've since driven it around for about 20 min, and it has restarted 2x now with no problems.
    I won't cancel my Toyota appointment until I get up early tomorrow and test it out after it has sat overnight.
    I may still need a battery, but for now I'm very much relieved that at least I know that's what the issue was and what caused all those crazy lights to come on.

I'll post again if there's any further change, but my lesson learned... don't let the vehicle sit for more than 3 days without running it.
    I'll start saving now for a new battery.

PS> Thanks to earlier posts I saw here, I called 2 local toyota dealerships and one quoted me a price of $298 for a new battery (labor inc), and the other quoted me at $200 (with Labor). BIG difference, and I'm glad I called ahead.

Raytheeagle, Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $200. is almost unrealistic. i hope it wasn't a monkey on the other end, not looking specifically at prius battery, or just trying to con you to come in.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you want to DIY: Pep boys is one US retailer with compatible battery, for maybe $135 ish? Maybe Bosch?

On their site put in your car info and see what comes up. I found their website a bit of a pain, but managed.

Install is just a 10 mm wrench and 15 minutes. Typically you pay $10~20 extra, get it back when you bring in the old one.

See if they have an electronic load tester (they should) and will demo its status before you take it.

8. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wish more companies would get into the Prius battery market so there would be some competition. I got a good deal on a yellow top Optima on line several years ago, not that I like or dislike Optima batteries but I checked again and no good deals to be had.
    Seems people love or hate Optima batteries. Mine worked for me so I can't complain.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are 4 or 5 now, i think. but the price probably reflects the size of the market, and perhaps the build type.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I went with Optima (about 2 1/4 years back), but I've heard it's CCA is much higher than needed, and to achieve that amp hours is a bit compromised, compared to some other replacement options. I don't really understand the ins and outs though.