1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 xm radio issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by lenjack, May 23, 2019.

1. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Original owner since new. Perfect xm till today, then "No signal". Nothing, no sound at all. AM, FM fine. Definitely not a subscription issue. Don't have any extra $ laying around at the moment, so I want the easiest, cheapest self fix, so I'd be indebted for any help. Thanks in advance.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The XM box in the 2010 is down under the driver's seat, and the XM antenna is one of the multiple antennas built into the stubby bit on the back of the roof.

Any recent work in the dash or under the driver's seat or back at the antenna location that could have disconnected anything?

Here's your chance to go into the diagnostic screens on the headunit, you know, the ones everybody discovers and thinks they can get codes for the car from, but only gives codes for the audio and nav? Well, here those are the codes you want, for once!

3. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Many thanks. No work done at all in either location. How would I access these codes? My car is a level 3.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you have the touch screen, or just the lines-of-text LCD radio display?

If the touch screen, you press DISPLAY and then make six alternating touches at the top left and bottom left of the displayed rectangle; it's a little hard to describe, but there are lots of threads about it (because pretty much every new owner finds out about it and thinks they can get car codes that way).

If the LCD display, I'm not sure. If it has the capability, it'll be covered in the Repair Manual though (more info).

5. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No display capability at all. Just called XM tech support, who said latest refresh/reboot could take 24 hrs. I don't buy it. Is module under front seat? Left or right? Do you think problem is underseat module, or antenna module?I did find this Satellite radio fix | PriusChat. Do you think it relates to my problem? Thanks again.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I might be wrong about where the XM module is. In 2010s with the 7" touch screen and nav, it's under the driver's seat. In the non-nav, it may be part of the radio, or an "extension module" right under the radio.

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    this might not help troubleshoot, but siriusXM free promotion is going on right now til June 4.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've got non nav. Nothing under the driver's seat except my baseball glove. How would I access it?

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Probably all in the radio headunit then, or a little "extension module" box glommed onto the bottom of it.

The surrounding panels on the dash are pretty easy to remove once you know the order. Around the shifter is first. The Repair Manual has the details. There are probably lots of threads here and videos.

I would be surprised if there's no diagnostic capability at all in the radio, so that's something I would look for in the Repair Manual, for sure.

10. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just had an Advance Auto read my codes and found nothing. Wouldn't my XM problem have thrown a code? Also, do you think it's the module, or the antenna adaptor? Trying to avoid the dealer's $75 diagnostic.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All the early Prius infotainment systems (the MFD in gen 1 and gen 2, and at least the touch-screen versions in gen 3) have ways to retrieve trouble codes that are specific to the infotainment stuff.

For most people, the disappointment goes the other way: people discover the infotainment diagnostic menus and think "hey, I found a secret way to get the car codes!" and then they're disappointed to learn it's just for infotainment.

But it can be disappointing this way too; a code reader for the OBD chassis and powertrain trouble codes won't give you the codes you're looking for in the infotainment system.

In the gen 3 base radios with no touch-screen, I'd still be surprised if they didn't include some kind of easter-eggy menu for retrieving the codes ... I just don't know what it is.

12. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any opinion on the other part of my query...the module, or the antenna? Again, thanks.

13. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    NO. It is an add-on accessory even thought it came with the car.

If cash is REALLY tight.......learn to live without XM until you can get it fixed.
    Cancelling your XM subscription might even save you a few bucks too.

Wild guesses about which component might have failed are worthless.......unless there is some history of a common problem in one component on similar models.

14. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No...no history. Thanks, anyway. I'm scheduled for a diagnostic on the 4th.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Generally the add-on accessories do show up in the AVC-LAN health check, which will also show if they have 'disappeared'.

Back when I was trying to identify all the different antenna wires coming into the back of my 2010 headunit, I was more or less just unplugging them to see what errors came up. :)

I'm just not sure how to get to that info using a base radio, if there's a way (which I suspect there is).

16. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Follow up, $75 diagnostic today, Need antenna. Out of stock at dealer. Thinking of buying it online (86960-47011) for about $130 and self installing. Found Youtube video
    . Looks simple enough. Dealer, who I like, wants $174, plus installation.