1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Yellow Triangle with exclamation point - Starter switch?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ireneb36, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Ireneb36

Ireneb36 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Car wouldn't start. Turned it on and off three times and it reset. Drove fine, but later that day, it happened again while driving. I was immediately able to pull over. Again turned it on and off three times and made it home. Brought it to Toyota today and they are saying they believe it is the starter switch and will cost $750+. Won't guarantee that is the problem, but that is where they want to start. Anyone else have this experience? It happened once before, but that time it was just a fuse. Toyota said they checked the fuse and that isn't the problem this time. I'm wondering how likely it isn't the starter switch and costs will add up. It only has 86600 miles on it.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Any lights on the dash?

What exactly did happen, if anything, when you stepped on the brake and pushed the switch?

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Starter switch? Do they mean the start-stop button. $700? Not likely. Used ones sell for almost nothing on eBay.

I don't believe that's likely the problem. It switches 5 volt ECU very low amperage currents. It might be the relay, but that's not likely, either.

I'd check the 12 volt battery first.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1.
    ^ That.
    Autozone has an aftermarket replacement for $50.
    Look for a Duralast Ignition Switch LS1531 which you can get and install in the same day.
    There are about a half-ton of used OEM switches out in the wild for about $40 if you don't mind waiting for the mail.

Yeah.
    The Duralast is an el-cheapo replacement, but if it fixes the car it will last until you can get a new or used OEM switch.....and if it doesn't fix the car then AutoZone or wherever you buy the part might allow returns......and let's face it.
    It's a glorified doorbell switch for goodness sakes.

The dealer is gambling with YOUR money and they're making some pretty stupid bets....but, hey.
    It's YOUR money.
    FWIW, the MSRP for the switch is about $250 in flyover country so they're either wildly over-charging you for the part (which probably will not be the problem) OR they expect you to believe that it costs about $500 in labor to install the part.

Either way?
    I'd tell them that the Earth will be orbiting a cold, dead, star before I gave them another dollar.

I noticed that you're not listing your location, which is actually pretty smart, but it's it's some place where there are a lot of Priuses, then I'd shop around for an independent mechanic. If your 2010 G3 is your only means of transportation, and your life situation does not happily tolerate unreliable transportation then I'm guessing that you're also a little price sensitive about repair costs.
    If they charge you $750 for THIS what happens the next time that the "change owner" light comes on?
    Or the time after THAT?

Normally?
    An almost 12-year-old Toyota with less than 100,000 miles is a pretty safe car to own.
    HOWEVER (comma!) you really need to think about this car as a star athlete that's on the back half of it's career, so you're really going to want to either BE or HIRE better mechanics.

Mice.
    They LOVE chewing on Prius wires.
    ANY electrical problem is a good opportunity to look at your cabin air filter.
    It' costs you nothing to look there, you can bang out some of the dirt or even replace the filter, and rule out nesting mieces.

Good Luck!

5. Ireneb36

Ireneb36 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All the dash board lights come on for a second, which is normal, and then they all went out except for the yellow triangle with the exclamation point..

6. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not really. A few years back, I disassembled one. All Gen 3 switches are the same, with the ones starting in 2012 having blue colored centers, instead of black. These have internal circuit boards with multiple pin connectors. I have maybe five used blue ones laying around; some with connectors and pigtails cut off of the wiring harness.
    start button Gen III.jpg

#6 Georgina Rudkus, Aug 20, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  7. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The Duralast one from Autozone is most likely made by the OE manufacturer, No after-marketer would spend the amount of research and manufacturer to make a duplicate for that price.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The yellow triangle with the exclamation point means that there are diagnostic codes waiting to be read that will explain why the power management control ECU has made the decision not to start the car.

At this point, I'm not seeing any reason to be talking about the power button, whether OEM or aftermarket. The car knew you pressed the button; that was why the lights came on and then the master warning light.

The main thing I see a reason to do at this point is to post the diagnostic codes so we have more information on why the car is electing not to start.

9. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  10. Ireneb36

Ireneb36 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks to you all. Brought to my local mechanic. Hope he can figure it out. I gave him all your suggestions. Btw, this is what Toyota reported:
    U0110, U0115, B2784 - communication and antenna coil DTC's - checked connections at inverter. All appear ok. B2784 suggests open circuit in antenna coil for start switch - could cause current issues. Recommend replace start switch as first course of action.

11. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    GET THE BATTERY AND IT'S MAIN CONNECTIONS TESTED.

ANY time a shop wants to start replacing parts on a guess, you need to get a written agreement that if the guess flails, the cost will be on THEM and not YOU.

12. Ireneb36

Ireneb36 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just realized that I misdescribed what initially happened. I've been saying it wouldn’t start, but when I started the car and the yellow triangle came on, I never even tried to put it in drive. I automatically shut it on and off three times because I knew that resets the system under most circumstances. I wanted to see if the light coming on was a fluke or if I needed to have it looked in to. When the light came on later when I was driving and it felt like the power died, I applied the brakes and went on to the shoulder.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In their own Repair Manual, in the workup section for B2784, replacing the power switch is the next-to-last thing to try, after checking the wiring between the certification ECU and the power switch (ECU pin 12 to switch pin 9, and ECU pin 13 to switch pin 10).

That aligns with my own intuition that, of all the places for a short or open to develop somehow in that circuit, the antenna and transceiver built into the power button might be less likely than something more exposed. (The only thing they put after trying a different power switch would be swapping the certification ECU itself.)

I am not sure that the B2784 issue would block you from starting the car, unless your fob battery was dead and you needed to use the hold-fob-to-power-button method. For that, it would definitely be a problem.

The U0110, however, is a failure to communicate between the power management control ECU and the MG ECU inside the inverter. The U0115, I think, is a failure to communicate with the engine's ECU. I could see either one of those codes putting a serious crimp in the ability to use the car.

The old download of the repair manual that I am looking in does not have much troubleshooting information on those two codes. (There are references to sections not included in the download, which might simply have been missed.) There is probably more complete and better information in the up-to-date Repair Manual online (more info).

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like corrosion, are you in a humid environment?

15. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The start-stop button almost never goes bad. There is almost no market for Gen 3 buttons, and there is a surplus in Toyota's possession. They do not fit Gen 4's. That's why Autozone can retail them for $50,

#15 Georgina Rudkus, Aug 20, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  16. Ireneb36

Ireneb36 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "
    Delaware. It has been hot and humid lately.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it can build up over time. the ecu connections corrode and cause voltage issues leading to trouble codes