1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Battery Failed due to over heating at 130k

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Tommyt2, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Tommyt2

Tommyt2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I own 6 Prius', 5 gen 3's one gen 2. The 2011 gen 3 I've had for the longest and its just had a battery failure due to over heating. The garage have managed to get the battery replaced under warranty but they are now telling me the reason for the overheating is due to the cabin air vent that cools the battery gets blocked. They have advised me Toyota do a replacement part that solves this problem (at cost to me, £150) He has advised me to get this done on my other generation 3's. Is this a problem other people have encountered? If so why are Toyota not cleaning the filter during service and why has this problem not been identified to me earlier?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What is the replacement part? Be happy you got a new battery

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Be glad they replaced your battery at 130,000 miles considering the UK warranty is only 100,000.

Do you use the cars for taxi work? If so, then yes the rear vent will get blocked.

4. Tommyt2

Tommyt2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am happy I've got a new battery, I'm just concerned about the other Vehicles. "Retro fit air vent for hybrid battery" is the part and the reprogrammed the ecu. I paid to extend the warranty due to the miles I do.

5. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not sure which filter you refer to in your original post. There is no filter to clean in the rear HV battery. To be fair, that's part of the problem, especially for owners with a dog that sheds fur or a harsh used taxi.

But you could think about all the tax benefits to running 6 Prii as commercial vehicles, and the zero road tax, and the saving on fuel and potentially the saving on the LCCZ. I suppose the £150 per vehicle is the cost of one years car tax for a low emission Mondeo.

To be honest, you should be more worried about your inverters overheating than the HV battery. I trust you've had the recall carried out?

6. Tommyt2

Tommyt2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes all the recalls have been carried out. I'm certainly not moaning about the Prius in general, maybe the tone of my post isn't what I intended. I have been extremely lucky that this hasn't cost me £2400. And the car has not had a single warranty claim or break down and that goes for all of them bar a leaky headlight. But this was an issue that was preventable and that I didn't know about. So if my post stops someone else's battery doing this its worth bringing up

7. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is and I didn't realise about this new air vent upgrade.

I can't blame Toyota as the problem has only come to light on the gen3 Prius after certain high mileage users in Europe were suffering premature HV battery failure. I think that's why we have had the Hybrid Health Check introduced in the UK giving 10 years/unlimited mileage warranty to the HV battery assuming you comply with the service conditions.

The gen3 uses the HV battery much more aggressively than the gen2 but from a smaller pack size if I recall. The cold air flow helps stop it getting hot and I think the more extreme start stop traffic on our smaller streets in Europe over heats the battery too. Add all that together and you end up with these premature failures.

I do think Toyota should offer this replacement part you refer to to all extreme use users (read taxi's).

On a separate note, how've you found your EGR valves? I had to have mine replaced at 75,000 miles.

8. Tommyt2

Tommyt2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's unlike Toyota not to do a recall as well. We've had no EGR problems at all. As I said the reliability has been unbelievable on all of them, coupled with the fact that major expenses on other cars such as duel mass flywheels and clutches are something I don't have to worry about. Then the fact that you can get 62 mpg around town.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    To OP: Did they say your fan was clogged? Any additional info, pictures, description, part no or link for the the replacement vent opening they're suggesting.?

Specifically, does it have a filter?

(Seems very expensive.)

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Perhaps the part including fitting and definitely included our 20% vat/sales tax.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Towards the end of the thread I linked, some of the purchasers of the item are starting to grumble, about the filter being very coarse, open, and non-matching color.

Earlier in that thread, I posted pictures including a DIY filter I put in behind the vent opening. It's a little more awkward to get to, for cleaning or removal. Also, I continue to worry a bit if it might be too much flow restriction. I think it's ok: it's a vacuum cleaner motor filter, fairly open weave.

It's as much a canary-in-coal-mine: I check it occasionally, just eyeballing through the grill opening with a strong light. It's picks up a few seeds and bits of lint/dust, but very little. I've taken it out once and blown compressed air through it in reverse, it was pretty clean.

I also have XGauges on my ScanGaugeII now, one for the middle HV battery temp sensor, one for the battery fan speed. If you've got a ScanGauge this is something worth monitoring on occasion.

13. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    G9230-76010

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is the filter mentioned in above linked thread:

G92DH-47010

(very open weave, though)

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Rude person's, i looked up that part number, but don't see where it's an upgrade or a solution to a known problem?

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    o/p is too vague, what is this upgraded part, and why are most of us not experiencing overheated batteries? i don't see any reason for a recall or even a tsb.

17. Tommyt2

Tommyt2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The part was around £30 plus fitting plus VAT

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You could achieve a slightly finer screen than that part, with a piece of mosquito screening. The advantage of purchased part is that it clips on the front, though.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mendel, how do you know he got the filter? $225. for a clip on screen, vat and labor?

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well I don't know. OP has not posted part no's (I think). What I have seen is in that linked thread. It's a very token mesh, very open.