1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Blown Headgasket - how to find a mechanic

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jlouise4u, Nov 2, 2018.

1. jlouise4u

jlouise4u Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All,

This is my first post & I know this is not new, however, it's my turn to request advice! I have a 2011 Prius with 165k, still a reasonably nice car. However, the headgasket has failed. I want to get a replacement engine swapped into it, but I'm having trouble finding a mechanic here, in Syracuse, NY. The dealer wants over $2k (labor only) on 18 book hours to do a swap plus sourcing an expensive replacement. Independent mechanics are just throwing out big numbers or just saying 'no'. Anyone know how I'd find a competent mechanic to do a swap in Syracuse, or nearby? I don't really care if I source the engine, or the mechanic does, but I want an OK engine from a wrecked car.

2. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Maybe @m.wynn would know a good upstate New York mechanic.

m.wynn likes this.
  4. jlouise4u

jlouise4u Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I went through the Jasper website. No hits on the engine itself, but they have a couple installers listed that I'm going to call Monday.

5. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure I could make a good conscience recommendation in my immediate area, let alone CNY:unsure:...

Is the car driveable? I would find a way to get it to Eric O. (South Main Auto), but he's in Avoca, 100 miles from you. At least you could rest assured of humane treatment from a well loved, transparent and superbly skilled mechanic. Don't let the small town demeanor or degrading comments by ignorant Priuschat snobs fool you:rolleyes::). He's hugely respected by several of Youtube's most watched auto techs.

South Main Auto Repair LLC - YouTube

Regardless of whom you source to do the work, the most important part of the repair is making sure the EGR circuit is cleaned full length, EGR cooler - EGR valve - EGR pipe - intake manifold EGR main port and small veins to each of the 4 intake ports. The mechanic will need to understand this and actually follow through with it if your intent is to run the car another 100+k miles. Carbon clogging of this circuit is the single biggest contributor to premature head gasket failures in these engines. Is the EGR circuit fully cleaned on a reman engine?.. I'm guessing pulling the individual parts to verify is the only sure bet and wouldn't be surprised to find them dirty to a degree which directly relates to miles on the engine.

Maybe ask moderators here to add Central New York to your thread title? Perhaps this would flush a local member who may have a solid mechanic recommendation(y).

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I guess I didn’t realize Syracuse was central New York :sick:.

I remember Eric O’s video on the front wheel bearing hub assemblies replacement for the Prius where he’s got the impact gun blasting away on the hub nut :eek:.

All it would have taken would have been to drill the notch out of the nut and it would have saved the threads. But he never showed the damaged threads:whistle:.

Still got the job done though(y).

m.wynn likes this.
  7. jlouise4u

jlouise4u Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. I will look at South Main Auto repair. Yes, the car is mostly drivable. The car bucks when you are lightly on the gas. I have to push the engine, then coast/charge battery (repeat, repeat). I should be able to make it to South Main. I will call a few places & see what might work. Good point about EGR. I took the EGR pipe out & cleaned it about 15k miles ago. It all looked decent, so hopefully this is not the real underlying problem. Thanks for all the advice & help.

Raytheeagle likes this.