1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 brake actuator issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MonkeyKnifeFights, Apr 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MonkeyKnifeFights

MonkeyKnifeFights New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had several lights go on in the dashboard, and the dealership is telling me I need a new brake actuator. This is going to cost close to $4500. I know the fsecond generation cars had this issue, and an extended warranty was issued. Is anyone else having this problem with the third generation? Any news on a warranty? Any information would help.....a $4500 car bill is tough to swallow, and totally erases any savings I achieved due to the low gas mileage thus negating the reason I even got the car to start with.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That is, assuming that no other car you could have bought instead would ever require an expensive repair.

-Chap

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    MKF, if it makes you feel better, I believe our 2011 also has some problems with the brake actuator. It makes noises sometimes during harder brake applications, especially at low speed like when coming to a stop and then applying extra brake pressure just before stopping.

No warning lights though, just a "low frequency honking-like" sound coming from the left firewall side of the engine bay.

Have you noticed any unusual sounds during brake application?

4. MonkeyKnifeFights

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just a slight vibration/clicking on the brake pedal, nothing else. They need to get this issue fixed, it's ridiculous that they keep having the same issue

5. MonkeyKnifeFights

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True. That being said, I take great care of my cars and have never had a repair this expensive before. Also, The reason I said it is because it seems Toyota knows this is an ongoing problem, as opposed to just a routine or otherwise normal break