1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Chevrolet Volt gets an EPA certified rating of 93 MPGe and 37 mpg in gasoline mode

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ajc, Nov 29, 2010.

1. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    AG, I only have to say that there is a 13 years gap between Volt and NHW10.
    For the rest, you have to compare apples to apples, and IMHO putting TCH and HS250h together with the Volt is out of common sense.

2. mcsj

mcsj Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So where is the "230MPG" hype they talked about few years ago, before GM becomes the "New GM"?

3. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in Portugal there is an expression "Epa" when someone is suddenly surprised.

I believe EPA is an expression that has surprised GM... :D

[also I believe it hasn't, but they fake it]

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I guess it was just showboating. Who got the last smile? :)

[​IMG]

5. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Volt is a fine vehicle. Please stop putting it down. It's our brother in the car world. If you want to put something down pick on a true gas hog like any full-sized suv or car.

2 people like this.
  6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was just posting what they said. Here is another one from the new CEO.

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-h...ius-geek-mobile-i-wouldnt-caught-dead-in.html

It is hard to praise it when it does not reach any of the promised features. Having said that, I am all for someone trading in H2 for the Volt.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    1 person likes this.
  8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't judge the fact there are Volts on eBay as an indicator of dissatisfaction. It is a very low volume, new product and some people probably simply want to make a profit.
    The lack of bids is interesting though.

***edit

OK, these are funny. Four of them have minimum bids above 40k.
    I don't believe the federal tax credit is available to reselling the car?
    One of the auctions is asking for $50K!

9. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First section of the quote.. states its an extreme challenge to get more out of that engine.. Its not the engine you need to worry about.. its the Fuel going in as a liquid.. the Engine it self is fine.. change the state of fuel in steps to achieve Vapor and inject the vapor with the right Retarted timing and boom you have MPG up the WAZO

10. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Brother vehicle? LOL good one.. its a chevy-Different brand car..

cant say its a brother more like brother in law from another family of cars

but i wouldn't put it there as the cost is ineffective.. only would be if you dont use gas at all for lets say the next 10 years.. to somewhat compensate for the $ 43,000 plus price tage vs the prius price tag

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I did a brief comparison over here.http://priuschat.com/forums/chevrol...r-gets-26-1-mpg-in-cs-mode-9.html#post1230531

The Volt gets better EPA fuel economy than either 2011 TCH or HS 250h with 37mpg to their 33 and 35 combined. The Volt does recommend premium, though it can handle regular. The EPA's reported annual fuel costs are; $1278 for the HS 250h, $1354 for the TCH, and $1302 for the Volt when driven on gas alone. On pure electric it's $601.

Out in the real world, the fuel reports for these cars will be close. Despite using the more expensive gas, the typical Volt driver will pay less in fuel costs.

Grab this from Autobytel.
    Volt TCH HS 250h
    Dimensions Wheelbase 105.7 109.3 106.3 Overall Length 177.1 189.2 184.8 Vehicle Height 56.6 57.5 59.3 Vehicle Width 70.4 71.7 70.3 Seating Capacity 4 5 5 Cargo Capacity 11 11 12 Front Headroom 37.8 38.8 38.0 Front Legroom 42.0 41.6 42.6 Rear Headroom 36.0 37.8 36.8 Rear Legroom 34.1 38.3 34.5

They are close in interior space. The Volt does lose a seat for the 35 mile EV range.

The Volt does cost more. $13,700 more than the TCH, and $5,180 than the HS 250h. That's just a quick comparison on price. Neither Toyota has a nav system standard, which could close the price gap by $2000. I believe the Lexus and Volt will be close out the door.

The Camry does have large advantage on price. It comes down to how much the EV ability is worth to a potential buyer.

12. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    He is asking minimum bid of $47500, $6000 above sticker price for a "used" Volt.

It is clear he is trying to make a profit due to sold out of the Volt and not available at the dealer. It has nothing to do with dissatisfaction nor loyalty.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ShellyT,

Both TCH and 250h are faster than the Volt. They also have fully independent rear suspension. Volt has torsion beam like an economy car but it drives like a tank due to its weight. Having said that, Prius also has torsion beam.

14. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't realise TCH and HS250h were so close in dimensions with the Volt.
    Camry is, in Portugal, 2 "levels" above Prius, even if not sold, we can remember how it was 10 years ago, when it was sold (battling against BMW 5 series). That is to say, Camry (bigger than) > Avensis > Prius.
    And HS250h is not sold here, also.

If they are that close to Volt, then Prius is a hell of a car!!! Economy, design and room!

15. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    According to Wikipedia:
    "The 2011 Volt was not submitted for application to the California Air Resources Board's Clean Vehicle Rebate Project rebate and therefore is not required to meet the 10-year 150.000 mile battery warranty requirement for partial zero-emissions vehicles (Enhanced AT-PZEV). The Volt team explained that for the launch GM decided to go with a common national package which includes an 8-year 100,000 mile battery warranty."

But my California Prius has a 150,000 mile battery warranty. Another ding against the Volt.

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Then how does the Prius drive?;)
    Most reviewers have preferred the Volt's handling over the Prius's. I don't recall "like a tank" being used in an article.
    If acceleration and handling are a priority to buyer, the Volt may not meet their needs. But consider this, the Mustang has a solid rear axle, like a truck, and Motor Trend called it a better car in handling, and other ares, than the Challenger and Camaro.

I don't know Telmo744's exact reasons for suggesting comparing the three, but I had some of the info because of comment of yours from the other thread.
    Guess what, the Volt doesn't have substandard MPG when compared to hybrids in the compact or midsized car classes. The only one to easily beat it is the Prius. The others that beat it, and most of the ones it beats, are close enough that the same driver, over the same close, might get the same fuel economy.

No one car will great at everything, and if the goal posts keep shifting, then you are going to find areas where the Volt loses. So what? If that area is more important to a buyer, then they won't be buying a Volt. But if having a pure EV range of greater than 30 miles, while also having the range of a gasoline powered car on the same vehicle is important to the buyer, then nothing beats the Volt.

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In fairness, the battery hump that takes out the middle back seat on the Volt, will take up some usable space in the cabin. A simple passenger cabin volume isn't as easy to find as the cargo one.

Yes, the Prius is a great car, and will fill the needs of most people.

That's only a ding 14 or 15 states.
    CO emissions are what kept the Volt from getting HOV stickers, the extended emission warranty, and SULEV II rating. It's lower in the Cruze, so I don't see this being a major hurdle to improve for the Volt. Which just is another reason to lease first model years.

18. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Folks, it's a GM. If that fact alone is not enough to deter you from buying one, the joke will most certainly be on you.

I don't care if it runs on air and shits gold out the tailpipe, it's pure GM junk at its core. Buyer beware.

-Brad

19. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Austingreen was the one that did it, I was only making my judgement and bringing along the subject. :ninja:

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Translate that into the fraction of US car sales for a more realistic understanding of the importance. Or even better, the fraction of the hybrid/alt-car market.