1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 climate control panel vs 2012

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Hammond_Egger, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Hammond_Egger

Hammond_Egger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok, so I installed the 2012 JBL headunit and backup camera into my 2011 Prius four (it had the JBL non display radio).
    I purchased all the dash pieces and a 2012 climate control, but the plug on the back is different.

I just swapped over the plastic from the 2012 to my 2012 controls, but for some reason they decided to change the button layout for AC and filtered air (also, added light pipes to the temp arrows on the 2012).
    I have the 2010 manual, but cannot find the pinout for the climate control panel (plasmacenter).
    Does anyone have the pinouts for the plug on the 2012 and 2010/2011?

My guess is that only the plug is different, if so I will de-solder | swap plugs.

My other option is to remove the SMT switches and LED paths on the PCB and rewire them with wire wrap wire (I have a SMT soldering station).

If anyone could find it in your heart to grab the pinouts for the plugs, I would greatly appreciate it (and share my mods with others in here too).

Thanks!

2. Hammond_Egger

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok, here is an update for those who wish to do the same.
    After carefully looking at the traces on the PCB on the 2011 and the PCB on the 2012, they look nearly identical, only physical changes are different LEDs for the hot/cold button. The key swap must be logical, because the physical layout looks to be the same.

The plugs are slightly different (enough so that you cannot plug in the 2011 plug into the unit. With a little help from a file, I was able to remove the offending bit from the 2012 socket so that the 2011 plug fits now.

I plugged it in my prius, it works!

Hopefully this will help out someone else later on who wants to match color differences when installing a later factory radio in a 2010/2011 prius.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    By the way, the word "plasmacluster" on the control panel is not a name for the control panel. :) It's the name of the gizmo in the driver's air duct.

[​IMG]

Hammond_Egger likes this.
  4. Hammond_Egger

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Gotcha! Thanks :)