1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 CT200h slower than Prius

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by tpfun, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That not true I seem to get better better gas mileage when I drive instead of the wife
    extra weight make you go farther
    I really does :D

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL. momentum then??

3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

indeed, european toyota site lists different weight for different models of Prius's and top equipment Prius weights the same as top level CT200h... it is just that CT200h in US starts already equipped with 17" tires, etc...

4. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The author has presumably tested a Prius before (3Gen?), but could not match one against the other. It is an example of perception of acoustic isolation (reverb time smaller), not objective assessment.

5. tanginapare

tanginapare New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i have both rides...the CT feels faster than the Prius, especially in the "sport" mode...the Prius, however is a lot roomier inside and has a bigger trunk as well...

6. patentcad

patentcad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    >>i have both rides...the CT feels faster than the Prius, especially in the "sport" mode...the Prius, however is a lot roomier inside and has a bigger trunk as well...<<

Yep. We have a 2011 Prius IV with leather/nav and a 2011 CT200 (no nav or leather). Lexus is MUCH more fun to drive, hotter styling, more luxurious interior, more comfortable (and power driver's) seating. LOVE driving the CT. The Prius not so much. But we also love the Prius. Hard to argue with 50 mpg and all that interior space. Love the CT. Hard to argue with that much luxury, style and fun to drive and 40 mpg. Both cars are winners. Very different cars despite the shared drive train.

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I read that the CT gets an extra boost from the battery in Sport mode while the Prius just gets a more sensitive gas pedal in Power mode. True?

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really an extra boost. The computer limits the maximum voltage through the inverter to 500V unless sport mode is selected, then it goes up to a maximum of 650V. In the Prius, the maximum is 650V regardless of mode (at least they did not mention any differences. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same as the CT btwn normal and PWR mode with regards to the maximum voltage).

9. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I gave the CT200H some thought but I feel the Prius, being cheaper in the lower trim levels and roomier, with better fuel economy, made a lot more sense.

10. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    It may be slower (I have no idea) but it sure doesn't feel slower. My Prius got slightly better mileage (but not commuting to work) but the CT200 feels much faster. I don't care if it is, I am not racing anyone but it is more than adequate. I do miss the extra space in the back, but I have never liked fast backs and I just liked the styling on the Lexus much more.

I wanted the luxury features and after one week, I am totally satisfied with my 2012 Pearl Blizzard F Sport.

11. Dozer42

Dozer42 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, sorry to say it, but if you picked either the Prius or the CT200h for straight line performance you've picked the wrong vehicle.

The 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are close enough to where a driver's reaction time would make more of a difference than which vehicle you driving.

But out here in the real world, at the first corner, the CT will start to edge out the prius. It is very, VERY good at conserving momentum through corners. It is very easy to drive quickly and smoothly. You can make excellent time in it. =]

I don't think I ever use WOT unless I'm getting on the freeway or trying to make a pass, which is pretty rare, and only for a few seconds. Otherwise I'm at about 70% throttle getting up to cruising speed as quickly and efficiently as possible when I know I won't be braking soon.

I've owned everything from a supercharged Z06 with over 700hp to a CT200h with 134hp, and while the Z06 was fun for about 2 seconds before getting into illegal territory, you can thrash the CT all day in sport mode and still get the estimated 42mpg. (I'm pulling just north of 50mpg calculated in mine).

It's much more fun to drive a slower car quickly than to drive an insane fast car slowly. YMMV.

1 person likes this.
  12. Tony420

Tony420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Whats up Dozer, I own a z06 also lol, but I want a ct200h next for the children...