1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 head gasket. Repair or move on?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Repinator, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Repinator

Repinator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello Prius owners! I am the original owner of 2011 Prius IV. What a fab car it has been for all 225,000 miles! Until last month the only maintenance it has has needed has been routine and recalls.

Even though this is only my second post since 2011, I have been in here now and then, it has been such a great resource.

It seems I missed all the discussions about Prius head gaskets. I guess it's an issue. And now its mine too, sadly. I am facing a huge repair bill. The dealer suggested a new (used) motor. I'm looking at about $2700. Ouch. He has a motor with 100k miles on it. That comes with a 6 month warranty. For another $300 I can get a 3 year warranty (parts & labor) on it. I'm wondering if I should I hold out for one with less miles. Or maybe just throw in the towel and trade it in for a new Prius.

Those of you who have over 200k miles on your Prius, what say you? Should I sink the money into this old and reliable until now car and hope it isn't just the beginning of the end? My inclination is to stay with it for one more year and hope it goes two more. I drive about 35,000 miles per year

The HG at this point has just a very minor leak, according to the Toyota dealer mechanic. The car drives fine, it does have the terrible shake upon a cold start and some rather nasty fumes until it warms up. A few weeks ago when the car was in having the EGR and manifold, replaced, he checked the HG and said it was fine. 1 day after the repair the shake and misfire codes returned. So back into the shop it went where it stayed for a few days, without much success at finding the issue. Finally, it was a re-calibration issue (not sure of what exactly, but that's what I was told). Anyway, the HG was looked at again, closely, and still no indication of it not performing properly. So off I went with just the calibration update, thinking all was good. A week later the shake and misfires returned! Several more hours in the shop and it is a very small leak in the HG that is causing the issue.

Opinions please. Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's a current thread here, someone replaced their head gasket. $400. parts and 28 hours labor

3. 4est

4est Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    I would guess the egr colet was pretty much blocked with junk?

4. Repinator

Repinator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wish I had the know how and the time to do the repair. But that's not likely in my lifetime.

Don't robots put these vehicles together in the factory? Maybe we need robot mechanics, too <ducking now> :)

bisco likes this.
  5. Repinator

Repinator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They didn't tell me if so. But a good guess, sure.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he had a mechanic friend do it. at $100./hr, you'd be better off looking for a low mile salvage

Repinator likes this.
  7. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I’d spend 2700

Repinator and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on an engine with 225k?

9. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Cheaper than new car

Jennifer150 likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    $3K installed with 3 year warranty seems the most direct option to me.

Have a look through this thread, watch the videos: it's basically using a low mileage fourth gen engine, with some adaptions. The engines are around $1500, and for a mechanic to do this I'd think at least another grand? But you come out with a near-new engine, with 4th gen improvements, ie: better pistons/rings. The 3rd gen manifolds and EGR are retained, and there's some mods for the coolant lines.

Swapping in a Gen 4 Prius&#039; 2ZR Engine into the Prius v | PriusChat

(He's doing this on a v, but the principals are the same. First time around he did the same swap on a third gen.)

Repinator likes this.
  11. Repinator

Repinator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you, all. One other question.... realistically, how long do you think it can go as is, with the HG leak? Being in New England, warm weather is at least 3 months away. I believe the HG prefers warm weather. I doubt I'll wait, I can't risk being out in the boonies during my travels and breaking down. I'm just curious.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ This. If you trade up with a car with a knackered engine, you'll be lucky to get $500. If OTOH you do the $3K swap with 3 year warranty, and trade up 2~3 years down the road, with a trade that's still road-worthy?

FWIW, our son recently did a trade up, going the $500 route. Their trade was truly knackered though, older, with multiple expensive issues: CVT transmission the main one, engine mounts, water pump, hybrid battery, and on and on, . The engine was ok though, lol.

13. 4est

4est Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    You could try some "magic" hg fix solutions. Look on YouTube, it's some stuff you put into coolant and it should fill up the cracks

Low chances, but still...

Repinator likes this.
  14. Jimi1976

Jimi1976 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2700 is cheaper than a new car payment (assuming you currently don’t have a car payment)

Jennifer150 and Repinator like this.
  15. Jimi1976

Jimi1976 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With that being said....I think 2700 is too high.
    1500-1800

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would try some head gasket sealant, can give you 50k miles and by that time, you'll retire the car. This costs a few dollars and very little effort

iskoos and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
  18. iskoos

iskoos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not if it gets done at the dealer and comes with a warranty.
    If I am gonna pay $2700, I would pay another $300 and get the 3-year warranty as Mendel recommended.

But if it was me, I would do a bit more research and try to understand the reason for the blown HG. If it is due to a wear&tear only, then I would remove the head and replace it myself in my garage. I think it can be done without removing the engine.

You are the original owner of that car, don't let it go for the pennies on the dollar...

19. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That’s the one I used in late March/early April and mine popped the weekend before July
    4. Your experience may vary.

20. ardashev

ardashev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Identical story happened to my 2010 with 220k.
    1. Tried hg sealant of brand a. It did seal the leak. few weeks later water pump died.
    Replaced water pump self, 250 baks. Flushed remains of sealant out. Happy :)

Till winter came next month, when I realized heater core clogged...

Flushed heater core self.

2. Month later miss-fire again !
    Tried sealant brand b. It did promptly seal the leak and heater core. And Few days later promptly water pump died. Replaced water pump self 250 baks. This time around flushed heater core too. Happy :)

3. 1 month later miss-fire back again “a little”
    Also noticed rattling of exhaust manifold shielding. Had a look - it’s all rusted through.

Had a long sad look at all other rusted parts, broken plastic in multiple places, recalled the horrors of being stuck on highway for hours waiting for tow truck and and sold it.

220k for $21000, it came out roughly 10k miles per $1000 - go find a lease like that :)

Bought 2018 Prius Prime Premium even cheaper than 2010 Prius yesterday. Incentives on it are crazy right now, so hurry before they disappear :)

#20 ardashev, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019