1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Highlander Hybrid Purchase- Now a 2 Hybrid Family

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by CPSDarren, Apr 2, 2011.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How much are these things? 50k? Nice car.

2. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sadly, the Limited models are almost that much.

My base model was under 36k excluding tax. It's about a 5k premium over the equivalent regular Highlander base model with V6, AWD and tech package. Still way too pricey to have Prius-type appeal in my opinion.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is but SUVs as a whole tend to have a $5k premium over a similarly spec'd car (e.g. Highlander vs. Camry). Of course you lose the ground clearance and AWD. Here, the HiHy Limited 4x4 is very close in pricing to the Limited V6 4x4 w/ Nav package. When some provinces had incentives a few years back, the difference in cost was essentially wiped out.

4. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2011 Highlander Hybrid Purchase Fuel Economy Update

Haven't been driving it much as I've been driving media review cars for the most part. Just filled and got 35.7mpg according to the computer, but only 34.0 mpg based on actual miles/gallons. It's odd, because the computer was right on the money on the previous four fills. I blame a poorly calibrated gas pump! This tank I ran 40-42 psi in the tires cold. 87 octane gas. Conservative driving, mostly around town with speed limits 40mph or less where it seems to do the best. On highway trips my gas mileage always drops.

I suspect one more tank above 30mpg then it will be a struggle to stay close to the 28mpg EPA rating From December through February.

It's been a very nice vehicle so far, though I've only put just over 2000 miles on it in 6 months.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  5. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What's wrong with this picture?

Latest tank was 34.11 calculated, 32.8 computer. A little higher this time, perhaps because previous pumps under/overfilled a little, resulting in the discrepnacy last time also.

Anyway, here's an annoyance with the Highlander Hybrid past Fuel Economy display. What's wrong with this picture? The display for our Prius is attached for comparison.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Meg&Bear likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol... they don't expect you to get more than 30mpg. Clearly, it's the same screen lifted from the standard Highlander.

7. minispeed

minispeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: What's wrong with this picture?

That's one thing I like about Canada using the L/100, since the graphs are inverted you never max it out.

Thanks for all the info and tank updates, I've been looking at highlander hybrids for the wife and it's nice to know that they are capable of beating the EPA ratings.

8. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I'm still not putting a lot of miles on mine, so I don't have a lot of data like some drivers. December in Chicago was mostly in the 30s and 40s (F) and the tank was 28mpg. January was somewhat colder with one substantial snow and that tank is at 25 mpg. I suspect a really cold month with multiple snowstorms would be in the low 20s.

I find that my type of driving (mostly shorter trips under 45mph) lends itself toward good fuel economy in the warmer months, when the hybrid system warms up quickly and can run in EV mode frequently, even on short trips. Any longer trips at higher speeds often drag my fuel economy down somewhat. That changes in the winter, when I often can barely get it warm enough to automatically shut off the ICE on shorter trips. Now, I find that longer highway trips at higher speeds help fuel economy considerably in colder weather.

Anyway, our 2010 Prius loses about 30% of fuel economy from the best tanks in the summer to the worst tanks in the winter. The Highlander Hybrid appears to be pretty similar.

Sadly, I have not had much opportunity to test the AWD system yet. I'm still really liking it overall. Inside, it's very quiet and the ride is very smooth compared to the Odyssey minivan it replaced. It's not nearly as flexible for cargo or kids, of course, but so far it's been practical enough.

9. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Update: Computer has been reading around 33mpg for the most recent tanks. I expect this to go a little higher this summer as temps rise and I don't have as many short trips after school ends for the kids. Actual mpgs seem to be just over 1mpg less than the computer, on average.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Impressive! That's in the realm of compact cars.

11. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just had a Dodge Durango R/T for review. It really surprised me all around, in almost every area but fuel economy. I was getting 1mpg above the estimates of 13/20 according to the computer. The reality is that most midsize SUVs with a V6 get are lucky to get half the real world city fuel economy I'm getting.

Maybe the better comparison is that you can get 13-17 mpg city in a midsize SUV with a V6, or get 18-19 mpg city in a V6 minivan like Sienna or Odyssey that is bigger and more flexible. For those who commute and haul family and stuff in the suburbs, it would seem like a no-brainer to go for 19/28 in an Odyssey. If you really need to tow 7000 lbs, then maybe a Durango is the way to go.

I guess gas prices need to go up a few bucks before people stop buying the dinosaurs.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It went above $5.867/gal here middle of this past week. That might do it if it happened in your area.

13. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update- we got 63mpg last tank on our Prius, but with mostly highway miles. Yeah, the Highlander is no Prius, but I almost got 40mpg around town this tank after 600 miles. Summer temps and fewer short trips that we have during the school year really help. Basically double the city fuel economy of other midsize SUVs with a V6 and AWD, at least in summer. I have the Infinity JX next week for review, it will be interesting to see if I can get half of the 39mpg.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's amazing. That's similar to a Corolla's average mpg.

15. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just averaged over 31mpg on a 1250 mile highway trip around Lake Erie. Not bad considering we had the A/C on nearly all the time. Had a full load of 2 adults, 3 kids and luggage, including a hitch cargo carrier. Generally drove on cruise control around the speed limits of 65-75mpg, plus or minus a bit. I also dropped tire pressures from 40psi to 37psi "cold" (at 80 deg F) for a little better ride vs. my 39mpg, 600 mile tank around the suburbs.

Yeah, our Prius gets more than double that fuel economy in similar conditions, but it isn't nearly as quiet or smooth on the road and having all three kids in the second row of the Prius would make that 1250 miles seem like 5000 miles. I know a lot of the pro hypermilers dismiss the Highlander Hybrid, but I suspect most of them have never dealt with the reality of 3+ imperfectly behaved children riding in the vehicle regularly. That means air conditioning and safe driving, two things sometimes omitted by extreme hypermilers.

Having downsized from a minivan, I'm glad the Highlander Hybrid has exceeded my expectations for fuel economy and ride comfort. Our Odyssey tended to be a bit noisy and the ride was a little jittery on the highway sometimes. For having given up all the extra space in a minivan, at least I got a quiet, smooth ride, an extra 5mpg highway and about double the 18-19mpg or so I got around town in the summer with the Odyssey. Plus, I get AWD as a bonus for Chicago winters. Maybe we will get much colder and snowier winter this year so I can see how well the AWD works and how low the fuel economy will drop.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  16. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Love the updates Darren, keep em coming! ;)

Also, did yours come standard with the 2" hitch? Ever tow anything with it yet?

17. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No it was not standard, unfortunately. I put on the OEM Toyota hitch later, but it does have a 2" receiver. Have not towed anything yet. I put it on mostly to be able to use a hitch carrier and/or bike carrier, as we currently don't have anything to tow.

18. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Know anyone that has towed much with it? How does it do? 3500 lb trailer is the max, correct?

19. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nope, sorry. Toyota Nation is about the only other site with many discussions on the topic, but I don't recall one on towing with the hybrid model recently. It is rated to 3500lbs. CR, for what it's worth, had this to say, "Towing a 3,500-lb trailer, the maximum weight allowed, to 60 mph for the Hybrid took 13.8 seconds, a very good performance."

Meg&Bear likes this.
  20. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know.

Does the third row fit anyone other than children very well?