1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius 1 in need of new brake pads and rotors.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GoggleHat, Aug 29, 2022.

1. GoggleHat

GoggleHat New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I need to switch out my brake pads and rotors. I'm relatively new to owning cars, before this I only had a used 2003 Saturn that ran its course once the transmission was busted. I switched to a Prius because I am determined to avoid fossil fuels as much as I possibly can.

I brought my car to a shop to take a look at what was needed for maintenance, I'm going to need the tires replaced and an alignment. They also recommended I switch out the rotors and brake pads for new ones. I'm not sure how much width is left my brake pads, that could definitely help me make my decision. But I realize that it's a lot cheaper if I buy my own rotors and brake pads then pay them to switch them out (they're asking for over $1,000)

To help me switch out the rotors and brake pads, does anyone have any advice, or a recommended source? What's your experience with this kind of maintenance?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's a lot cheaper if you while you're buying pads and rotors because they're really cheap I would say bye a middle of the road set of pads around $38 I have cross-drilled slotted rotors bought off whoever site they were a whopping I don't know $38 a piece they also don't rust so far anyway some kind of coating on them yeah I know. Get yourself a lug wrench if you really want to treat yourself get an electric one a battery operated a quarter inch driver ratchet set said a combination wrenches slip joint pliers side cutters or dikes. And if you're stuck with the car jack for a few weeks oh well no problem and you will whip off those rotors and pads in no time no kidding it's a fun Saturday morning project not a big issue people here will put you on a live stream to help you.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When you go into any shop and ask "what do I need for maintenance", you're bound to get robbed in the process. A better approach will be to ask for a prepurchase inspection, as if you don't own the car yet. Since you are not about to pay them to repair anything (or they can't make up anything), they will probably be more straightforward and honest on what the car needs. The estimates are usually more accurate because they are hoping you buy the car and have them address the maintenance issues/repairs

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How many miles on your 2011? Our 2011 is coming up on 130K miles and is nowhere close to needing new brake pads and rotors.

I did have to replace the front rotors and pads on our 2010 Camry 3.5L SE though at 120K miles. Not due to wear, but due to warped rotors. It was an easy job.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only way to avoid this is to NOT use anything!
    The so called fossil fuels are what power the whole world.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

here's the thing,

you purchased a flawed car, and the sooner you learn how to diy, the better. you've come to the right place.
    ignore the shops recommendations and start from scratch:

1) how many miles on her?

2) log in to toyota.com/owners and check the maintenance history and recalls.

3) get a carfax

4) begin by following the toyota recommended maintenance schedule, compared to what the history shows has already been done.

5) clean the egr circuit. this is a big job, but can be critical to saving the headgasket, if it isn't already too late.

6) follow 5,000 mile oil and filter changes

7) change the tranny fluid

8) beging researching replacement 12 vo;t and hybrid batteries

9) get 2 fobs if if didn't come with them

10) lube the driver door lock and test the mechanical keys

11) learn about the jump point under the hood

12) learn how to open the hatch from the inside

13) read the manual

14) all the best!(y)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    good hit list by bisco, maybe print. For the quoted, there’s some links in my signature. If you’re on a phone, turn it landscape to see signatures.

bisco likes this.