1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius 164 K Replace the Head Gasket or Engine (w/ Gen 3 or Gen 4)?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kevin tocke, Jul 27, 2022.

1. kevin tocke

kevin tocke New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    new to the form, been reading it for years. Appreciate all the advise.

My 3rd Prius; 2011with 164 k, needs a Head Gasket... or a new Engine. Do I do the Head Gasket and EGR or try to find a JDM Gen 3 or swap with a Gen 4 2016/17?

Current Engine. No oil Leak, used some coolant the couple days right before I stopped driving it, EGR was causing jitters at start-up. Temp warning light came on for less than a minute, then went away and never came back on. Changed the Plugs recently and nothing stood out as really followed/dirty build up. Took it to Toyota for the first appointment I could get. Now it's at my Mechanic waiting on my decision.

A Used low Gen 3 Engine may have probable Head Gasket issues down the road. Every thing else seems fine with the current engine although I do not know about the rings?

I have a good Mechanic.

Seems the difference in the two options is perhaps $300-500

Thoughts?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you can get a gen4 engine, and your mech is willing, that's your best bet.