1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius 281k miles - would you replace the head gasket if you were in my situation?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by koukilights, Jun 3, 2023.

1. koukilights

koukilights Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've posted here before, but long story short. I'm moving 1000 miles away into an apartment and have no where to work on the Prius if anything goes wrong. Currently, I have a driveway to work in, jack, stands, tools, etc. and can do a head gasket replacement here for preventative measure. If I were to do the head gasket I'd have a week to do it, then I'm on the road.

I posted here before asking for advice and out of the advice I received, I installed a cat converter shield, cleaned out my EGR cooler and replaced the water pump. I tried to keep the maintenance fairly light, I didn't want to dive too deep into the engine. But the more I read about HG failures in gen 3's the more worried I'm getting.

I currently don't burn/consume any coolant, don't burn any oil, and haven't had the knock-on-cold-start except for the coldest of mornings over a year ago. The EGR cooler was dirty but not fully clogged, I could see a bit of light through it.

I've priced out some parts on Amazon and they can be here within 2 days. Felpro HG and head bolts, valve cover gasket, intake mani gasket, oil filter adapter o-rings, and a 10mm triple square bit (I know, I know, bi-hexagon is better). I can't seem to find the timing chain tensioner gasket (that would make it here in 2 days or less), or the under-valve-cover gaskets like the dick shaped one though.

I've done many head gaskets on other vehicles before. And I've watched several Gen 3 HG replacement vids.

Of course, the concern is that if I don't finish in time, or something goes wrong, I'd be screwed with my move. And doing a head gasket is like 2-3 days of work.

But if I don't do it and the HG craps out within the next 15-20k miles then I'd be in a tough spot. If it lasts longer than that, and I'd probably have the finances to just buy a newer car, or perhaps living situations would change to allow for a garage.

2. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have some challenging dilemmas. Perhaps a close look at all available resources might be helpful.
    1. Other people. Do you have trustworthy real friends or family at either place?
    2. Other vehicles. You appear to have significant mechanical experience. Has this allowed you to locate other possible vehicles to buy, use, borrrow?
    3. Credit. It appears you don’t have much money in reserve. Do you have access to credit? Like credit cards.
    4. What is definitely in this move for you?

There are many people who would pay you to use the automotive skills you have. Don’t overlook this as a resource. Don’t sell yourself short.

To more directly answer your question I would, in your shoes, try hard to get a reliable low mileage vehicle. Although this might be practically impossible. I would not start the job on your car until you have moved. Then I would figure out if I could live without a car. Then I would work hard to find a place to work on your car. Preferably in return for working on someone else’s car. I would regard your present high mileage car as unreliable for practical purposes. Your biggest asset is your skill set. Many many people can’t change their own oil.

Good luck. You bring a lot to the table.

Aaron Eiben and Montgomery like this.
  3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How many MILES on the car?
    It is no different than any other combustion engine.
    You should get the FULL head gasket kit from Toyota. The FULL one
    includes the throttle bodly gasket, water pump gasket, and the "O" rings for the
    oil filter housing. And get new head gasket bolts.
    If you've watched several different video's on replacing the gasket you should be ready.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if there is nothing wrong with your head gasket now, a new one isn't going to do anything. Cleaning out the EGR cooler and intake manifold, along with changing out the water pump and coolant should help in preventing the head gasket failure.

5. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Dang, that's a new one. Replace a Gen3 HG preventatively.... Before a big moving road trip..... Yikes!:confused:
    Isn't this asking for trouble?
    So much can go wrong. And the possibility of it showing up while on the road is real.....

(what a crappy engine design where some people have to consider doing this.... But I really like the one I have presently!):cool:

In brief, the HG gasket failing will not leave you stranded on the side of the road. It's a slow, easy to spot issue, and you can put snake oil in the coolant to keep it going for a long time.

Here's my one experience: TLDR
    I had a Gen3, w/240k miles, show the first signs while climbing the Rockies at high power. I got an 'over heat' light. We were almost at the summit and I pulled over, popped the hood, saw steam coming from the coolant reservoir, started the engine again and let it cool for while and continued on our vaca and never had it show up again. But also I didn't have to power up summits at high power for the rest of that trip.
    I remember once I got home it was determined I had exhaust byproducts in the coolant.
    I used Blue Devil "HG sealant", which is silica based. There's a procedure.
    All was good for almost a year and the next vaca the same issue showed up. (I didn't reduce power climbing to the summit, which may have helped.)
    That time it lost a bit of coolant which I topped up and all was well for the remainder of the trip.
    I sold it as-is when I got back. It ran fine and didn't do any knocking on start up and may be fine to this day.

On a previous to that Gen3 I had knock at start up once after putzing around a coastal town in cool, very high humidity conditions the night before.
    My pet theory is moisture/ice is accumulating in the intake system and settles out overnight in the intake manifold....

Good luck to you, young sir, which ever way you go....(y)

Grit likes this.
  6. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    IMHO; I wouldn't mess with it. Clean out the intake & EGR cooler and call it a day.

I would save up; line up a rebuilt engine as a backup and pay a shop to do the swap-out. I wouldn't trust just a HG job on an engine with over 100K miles on it. Everything else has that equivalent wear on it; better to drop in a fully rebuilt motor than chance something else breaking.

Just my 2 cents....

7. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    IMHO, 100k on a modern engine is nothing, barely broke in....;)
    I've had several in the +200k range that did not consume much oil.
    My current one is ~125k miles and has very low oil consumption!!
    I guess it depends on the previous owner's maintenance routines.

I have a courier friend that has had several in the +500 k mile range and no major issues, other than this dang crappy head gasket design.
    But then that's ideal usage, just cruising down the highway. He's had good results with 'Ring Soaks' when the oil consumption creeps up, and now has decided to start doing 5k oil changes.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Do not open that open deck engine . It's not friendly internally . With this type of engine you replace the center section reciprocating mass redo your head and then assemble all that That's in the $6,000 plus range for that kind of money I could put three JDM spec engines one after the other in any of the gen 3s that I own and still have a couple bucks left over those three JDM engines will easily outlast the thing you just spent $6,000 plus doing easily The car will be well ragged out quite a bit before I go through the three engines if the chassis even makes it through that a Gen 3 I don't think so A Gen 2 comfortably. But a three the whole car is going to fall apart all around you the interior is going to be trashed all the buttons will be clogged with garbage and it's just not a thing at least not for me these Gen 3s are kind of disposable You just get them all yucky and throw them out because all the cleaning and all of that stuff in the world will not help It will still look old and ugly especially the interior oh my God.

9. koukilights

koukilights Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha, well against everyone's advice, I've started doing the head gasket. Tore it down and got the head off tonight. And honestly the HG looked in pretty good shape. No signs to my untrained eye that it was going to leak any time soon. But it'll be good peace of mind to know that it's got a fresh HG in there.

10. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hopefully that Felpro HG will have a normal life span compared to the crappy OEM design!
    Good luck on the road trip and hopefully +200k miles into,,, the Future!(y)

Keep us posted!

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It seems to do just fine, if the EGR system is periodically cleaned, say every 50k.

12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No I wouldn’t. A Tesla can bought for $30,330 as of current time after rebates and state tax rebate incentives, since finances was not stated as limited.

#12 Grit, Jun 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    Bill Norton likes this.
  13. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Peace of mine is priceless!
    Not a hard job, just lots of things to unbolt, unscrew, remove, get out of the way..........
    Are you also doing the valve guide seals? And checking the sealing of the valves?
    Hopefully they are all sealing and you just need to change the seals.

Take photos. :)

14. Mr. F

Mr. F Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do we know of any specific features that might make the Fel-Pro a better choice than OEM?

15. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No, we don't. Only time will tell.
    We do know no matter how much fiddling under the hood you do in the hope of prolonging it, the HG will be the first thing to fail in a high mileage Prius.
    Other engine designs can go a very long time without the HG failing.
    Me and many others have examples. Us that keep a car running forever...(y)

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If that fiddling included periodic EGR clean up, I think that “crappy OEM head gasket” will be just fine.

17. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At this many miles, I'd look for a rebuilt or low miles used engine. Replacing the head gasket on a worn engine is a bandaid fix.

18. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Is there any proof that doing all this work keeps the HG from failing routinely in the +200k range?

No way to know, bc as you know the geeks on this forum are a very tiny amount of Pri owners.
    Most probably follow the normal recommendations and no way to know how long a typical HG lasts.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    But you know the head gasket is crappy.

20. OptimusPriustus

OptimusPriustus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius