1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius 4 suddenly wont start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 2011 Prius IV, Sep 16, 2018.

1. capolihu

capolihu Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I realized later Shame on me. Thanks though.

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the 12v battery is 8 years old. It's time to replace it. A worn out battery could read good one
    second bad the next. A loose or corroded terminal could give the same results.

You can look at the battery. Follow the cable on the right, the negative/ground cable.
    It bolts to the frame. It should look new. If not, remove it and clean it with a wire brush, or sand paper.
    The positive is on the left. It should look new also. If it's corroded, remove it after removing the negative
    cable and clean it.

Even though you jump it, an old worn battery will draw all the current from the jumper, and not allow any,
    or very little to go to the components to trip the relays that let the car start.

You could try disconnecting the negative terminal of your battery, and use jumper cables to connect a KNOWN good battery.
    This would eliminate the battery completely and the car should start easily. And everything the doors should unlock.
    And the brakes should build up pressure quickly.

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Friends, please stop telling him to buy a new battery before he knows if that will fix the problem, which it probably won't. Maybe it is due for a new one, but that sure doesn't sound like it'll make the car start reliably. Why spend lots of money and time before spending ten seconds checking the terminal connections and ground to the body? Then grab the wallet if you find that it's necessary. If you have a loose connection on the ground lug at the body, you can buy a thousand batteries and the car won't start reliably.

capolihu and Grit like this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We had one feller here that was having key fob battery remote issue and after a few button battery cell changes, he fixed the issue by trading the car in for car payments on a new gen 4.

pjksr02 and jerrymildred like this.
  5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I like my Prime so much more than any other car I've had, I might have done the same thing. There are better excuses for sure, but you take what you can get. :LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Grit likes this.
  6. capolihu

capolihu Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, doing nothing, next day early morning, empty street, it started. Now I suspect some automatic door opener or some other signal that prevented my start. I will double checkthe grounding too, as much as I can..
    Replaced the 8yrs old buttery later, just to make sure. Both fob battery measure fine 2.9-3.0 V.

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Dear friend:
    IF.....the battery is 8 years old, changing it certainly will fix SOMETHING but maybe not what is being described here.
    AND.....if the highest the voltage ever gets is 12.3......same thing.
    Those who are suggesting a new battery are NOT giving bad advice.......it just needs to be qualified a bit.

pjksr02 likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not saying it's bad. Just in the wrong sequence for getting out of the crisis. Pick the low hanging fruit first.

9. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    SIGH.
    You have been around here long enough to know that the 12 V battery most often **IS** the "low hanging fruit".

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LOL! Sorry. I forgot. :oops:

Ed Beaty likes this.