1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius AC question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 2ewes4me, Jun 17, 2018.

1. 2ewes4me

2ewes4me Junior Member

We just picked up a 2011 Prius with 200,000 miles (40K put on the last year)
    AC seems to be working fine now, but we have concerns after reviewing the repair history on Toyotaowner.com

One year ago, the seller said he'd had trouble with the AC while on vacation in Boulder CO, so he brought it in to a Toyota dealer there. The tech notes said 'performed evac and recharged. Found no leaks'.

Three months later, the seller brought it in to his regular Toyota dealer, complaining the AC seemed to be working fine on one side, but no air blowing from the other side. Tech notes said they 'tried to vac system but found it empty. Charged system, added dye, unable to find leak. Compressor is making grinding/whining sound.'

Now, 8 months later, (a week before we purchased the car) the seller brought it to a Toyota dealer complaining that the AC wasn't running cold. The tech notes say 'AC dye test, no leaks' but there was a charge for Freon, so they must have recharged?

What's been your experience- are we looking at a compressor problem?
    Any advice appreciated.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’d check the blend doors and functionality of the inside cabin equipment as well as look at the sight glass in the ac system to rule out those as causes.

Since the prior owner was complaining of one side being cool and the other side not being so much, that says blend doors.

Also check the cabin air filter isn’t clogged preventing the system from working properly.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Dxta likes this.
  3. 2ewes4me

2ewes4me Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestions Raytheeagle. I will check the cabin air filter

I called the dealer that witnessed the grinding/whining sounds from the compressor and they said they advised a new compressor may be needed, at a cost of $2,700!!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it has 200,000 miles.

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Where are you located?

If we have an idea of where you are, we could recommend an independent shop that may not have a boat payment to make;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

m.wynn likes this.