1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 prius and a rattle

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Bill Collins, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Bill Collins

Bill Collins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just received my new prius a week ago and last couple of days I here a rattle that sounds like something bouncing. I say i hear it in like the empty clove boxes.. my wife says its more like in the trunk area.
    I have not put any thing in there yet. Is it possible that the plastic box under the cover is making this noise. spare tire and tools are secure and tight and not moving .hate having a new car and already having extra noise.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are you sure there are no extra parts in the tray cover or around the spare tire? A lot of the time the dealer will put spare pieces and parts back there. The only time I have heard any rattling in the trunk area was when something was left in the tray.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just wait till it gets colder. :)

I would go through the glove boxes, remove everything in the rear trunk area just to know what is back there and put everything back nice and tight. If it still rattles, take it back to the dealer and complain. Many here have.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The hard surfaces inside make it difficult to localize a sound source. For example, when the front cupholder on mine is incompletely closed it rattles, but sounds as though it's coming from inside the Sunglasses holder. Weird but true and demonstrated repeatedly. So look *everywhere* for loose items and try opening and re-closing *everything*.

5. Bill Collins

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've already checked if any items were in the Tray..Only items i have added to the car are rubber mats over the carpet in the cabin and a weather tech cargo tray in the rear.But i had the rattle before these add-ons. Tomorrow i'm going to take out the tray (the one that came with the Car from the factory) it self as i have a feeling that it's the culprit .And if it is i'll add some installation around where it sits.
    That don't work it's back to the Dealer..

6. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If the rear seat backs are not secured they make that kind of, hard to find, rattle. They have to be slammed to actually latch. Mine had that rattle, wife in pass seat said back and I said glove box. She was right and now we have no rattle.

7. DB28

DB28 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My rattle problem on my 2011 Prius IV was the rear license plate frame. The top is held in by screws & the bottom had nothing. 2 zip-ties later problem is gone. It may work for you too. Good Luck.

8. txl146

txl146 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am hearing rattle from front driver side seat belt height adjuster area... it's kind of annoying.

9. Bill Collins

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    done all the suggestions ..And also removed everything from the rear (Tray,Tire ,Jack tools etc) checked that the rear seats were in place and could not move ,emptyed the glove boxes, checked the seat belt height hookup,removed the cup holder etc. Licence plate is nice and secure no movement there .. drove around town abit and still the same noise or rattle like something jumping up and down or vibrating. and now i'm sure it's in the dashboard area. could be a plug of wires bumping the inside of the dash..going to the dealer to complain in a day or so when i have time. Other then this little problem I love the car and the MPG s that I never had before