1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius both headlights went out suddenly

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by RonJon, Nov 17, 2013.

1. RonJon

RonJon New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Headlights working fine, then as I started the car, noticed both headlights will not come on. Brights work, but even after toggling the light switch several times, headlights still will not come on. I find it hard to believe that they would both go out at the same time. Has anyone seen this in Gen 3 Prius? I did some research, this was a big problem in Gen 2's.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Betcha leave the headlights in the On position, right?

Doing so exposes the bulbs, relays, and switches in the headlight circuit to voltage surges and instability during startup. Your bulbs were probably close to failing, so when the current surge hit the filaments, they went out.

Your headlight bulbs will last much longer if you don't switch them on till several seconds have elapsed when starting up your car. This gives the current surges and instabilities time to subside before turning them on.

SCH-I535

3. RonJon

RonJon New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply.....I do leave my headlights in the "ON" position all the time, as I have a long commute every day. So from now on, i'll turn em' off when I shut her down.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is the reason I always turn my radio off when shutting down the car as well, to avoid exposing the radio electronic circuits to surges when starting the car.

5. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    why leave your headlight switch to "On"? if you set it to automatic, it'll turn on when its at night...

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The lower trim levels do not have the Auto setting, just Off, Parking, Headlight (2010-2011). Or DRL Off, Not sure what this position is labelled, Parking, Headlight (2012+).

7. NutzAboutBolts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    damn that sucks :( good to know, thanks for the info.

8. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Before you change the lamps, check the fuses, several generation Prius have four separate fuses for high and low beam, left and right. The layout of fuses should be in your owners manual and on the fuse box cover.

9. RonJon

RonJon New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Headlight bulbs replaced, not as bad as I had thought it would be. The cost for the HIB are exorbitant, but mine are only $25.00 each, so I feel a bit better. I will turn em off during daylight to conserve. Thanks for all the feedback Prius peeps!

10. NutzAboutBolts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    you're lucky they're not HID, those cost even more than 25$.