1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius Check Hybrid System Light

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Dennis V Meneses, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Dennis V Meneses

Dennis V Meneses New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello Guys,
    I'm new to the prius chat forum and I have a question. I have a 2011 Toyota Prius Model III with 151,600 miles. My check hybrid light, check engine light, master warning light, slip indicator light and brake system warning light all appear when I turn on the vehicle and while I'm driving. When I turn my vehicle off, the engine shakes and sounds like it's going to die and shuts down. Also, when driving, my mps dip down to like 30 mpgs and it doesn't pick up speed and when going up a hill, it struggles. Any thoughts or opinions what might be the problem?

Attached Files:

2. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would suggest to have trouble codes pulled first...
    You can do it yourself with an OBDII scanner, or an auto parts store maybe able to help you with it...
    You will be able to diagnose your issue probably after knowing trouble codes..

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Johnny Cakes likes this.
  3. Dennis V Meneses

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh okay, I'll take it to O'Reillys or another autoparts store and have them run some tests and diagnose the problem.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    couple potential issues: egr clogged, blown head gasket, low 12v, oil burning, dead inverter pump, weak hybrid battery cell.

how long have you owned it? do you know the service history?

5. Dennis V Meneses

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Im the 2nd owner and owned it since June 2015 with 41,000 miles. Since I've owned it, I've been doing the regular oil and filter change, tire rotation and balance, top of the fluids. I haven't done any major services since I bought the vehicle.

bisco likes this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dang, the gas savings goes out the window as you once said in many posts ago.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    look at the 100k, 120k and 150k services in the maintenance booklet, or at toyota.com/owners

Dennis V Meneses likes this.
  8. Dennis V Meneses

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's a number of maintenance that I haven't performed which I think I should do such as the Transaxle fluid drain & refill, brake flush, rear sliding pins lubed, spark slugs, engine & inverter coolant drain & refill and last time I went in for 140k, Toyota recommend I do those services

9. Dennis V Meneses

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    used the OBDII scan and it read code P0A94, looks like I get to replace the inverter. Does anyone know if there's a recall that this will cover?