1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius front end seems low with a small clearance

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by vvjap, Sep 4, 2013.

1. vvjap

vvjap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Has anyone had trouble scraping the bottom of their car entering driveways or shopping centers with entrances that slope up. Even when properly turning the wheels so as not to back out of a driveway straight I have on several occasions in the past year scraped the bottom front of the car. A minor scrap on the engine compartment splash cover does not bother me. Nor does scraping the bottom of the front splash guards. But last week I had to turn around in someone's driveway which did not appear to be a problem. Entering was not a problem but as I backed out I was careful to turn back out on an angle but still managed to hid the bottom of the front bumper on the driver side. Of course it left a small scrape and took the paint off. It's only slightly visible from the front edge as it is underneath the bumper where it wraps underneath. It's annoying but the front bumper of the 2011 prius does seem relatively low in comparison. Now I'm thinking about touching this up, having it spot painted professionally, or applying some flat protective applique along the bottom front edge of the front bumper if there is such a thing. Everyone seems to be worried about the rear bumper protection.

2. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Others have mentioned it before, but to be quite honest it hasn't been much of an issue for me. I think it may come from what you were used to driving prior. My prior car was an Integra that had about 2-3" of clearance and would scrape on everything even if driven carefully. My wife's Odyssey has never scraped anything. I find my Prius (now lowered ~1.75") has scraped a few times if I'm not careful. Prior to lowering I didn't have any issue.

I don't think any vinyl protection would help your lower bumper much. You would have to form some metal to protect it the best as the vinyl will shred pretty quick.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    helps with aerodynamics, but can be problematic in certain situations.

4. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've had the same problem. Once, driving in the dark and not being able to see an unevenness in a driveway apron. I fractured the plastic panel that is installed horizontally just behind the bumper. Parts cost to repair was about $180. It's really an approach angle issue. I believe that the most recent Matrix has the same issue.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    All those folks lowering their Prius must live on the Bonneville salt flats, no where else would be smooth enough.

6. southjerseycraig

southjerseycraig Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I came out to my driveway a few weeks ago, and saw that the bumper had a tear on the driver's side. I couldn't remember any way I could have done it. So I took the car to my body shop. They said that I was doubtless a victim of the low concrete blocks placed at the front of parking spaces in 7 & 11 and similar establishments. Since the car has low clearance, the block rips the bumper as the driver backs up. They said this is not unique to Pruii; any low front clearance car has the same problem.

7. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It's a low car.

Just adjust. Take steep driveways at an angle.

If you can parallel park without scraping your wheels, you can get through almost any driveway without scraping.