1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius Front Protection Options

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by bbqnosher, Mar 31, 2011.

1. bbqnosher

bbqnosher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    II
    Just purchased a 2011 Prius two classic silver and investigating my options for protecting the hood and front fascia. As I see it there are three options…protective film, hood deflector/protector and nothing. My questions are…(1) does the aerodynamics of the Prius prevent damage (I suspect not) or make the car more susceptible;? (2) for those who have the Prius hood protector do you find it functional ?(on my Subaru Forester the hood deflector was excellent in preventing damage); (3) in real life, does the front fascia show damage (on the Forester I saw virtually no damage after 5 years with no protection).

For the 3M film I received a quote of $360 for the bumper and $480 for full hood or $180 for ½ hood (18") coverage. After reading the quote the hood pricing seems a little odd and is probably negotiable.. Still, the film option is pricey at $540-$840 . Really don't like the look of the 1/2 hood and would go for the full hood coverage if I went with the film option.

I’m thinking of maybe the film on the fascia and the hood deflector for the hood for less than $500.....or maybe just the hood deflector of $120 Comments, suggestions and first hand /real life experiences would be appreciated.

2. EVPrii

EVPrii New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I already spent a ton on my window tinting, so I'm not doing much else yet. Let me know how it goes when you have decided. And make sure to post in our Silver Squadron thread!

3. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just for a reference, I went with an entire front kit from VentureShield. I saw it being installed by a certified installer on a new corvette and it just disappeared when they put it on. I was impressed and had them install it. Pricey ($700) but its been on since August of '09 and it still looks great. I have classic silver as well and I would do it again in a heartbeat. At the time I was driving 80 miles roundtrip each day so it was worth every penny to me. I'm sure 3M works just as good from what I've heard on priuschat.

4. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm still trying to find a full hood film protector for our new Highlander Hybrid. 3M precuts are only for half hood coverage. I don't care for the obvious line and would be worried about uneven weathering of the paint over time. A deflector may be better than nothing, but I'd hate to get a chip on the metal hood for something that bounced over it. I'm not all that concerned about the plastic bumper areas. They do get chips, but you can touch them up and they don't rust.

5. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've never had a rock go through the entire paint & base coat down to the metal. The hood is aluminum anyways. It doesn't rust, but it dents more easily and aluminum can not be bent back into shape as easily as steel.

I did my own cost benefit analysis and concluded paint job is going to be cheaper than clear film. On the other hand, the likelihood of me getting a paint job on a >5 y/o car for some paint chips is almost zero.

If you get some front end damage, I don't know if insurance will pay for replacing clear film.

6. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just traded in our minivan (2006, 50k miles) on the HiHy. It had two very small chips that went through the metal and showed rust, along with a few other tinier chips.

Aluminum is good news for our Prius. Aluminum oxide doesn't tend to flake so that helps with touch-ups! Any idea if the Highlander Hybrid has an aluminum hood? Guessing not:-(

7. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess I'm not representative seeing as how we don't salt our roads.

8. firemechanic

firemechanic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have 165K on my 2005 Camry and the front end looks like it went through an asteroid field......(small little paint chips everywhere). I'm now commuting with the Prius 100 miles a day on the same route and I'm leaning heavy towards a protective film.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    VentureShield film is also made by 3M. The film is UV neutral so fading isn't an issue. Since my 2006 the 1st thing I have done is to get as much film on the car as Reno (my installer) will recommend & do. It has saved a few scuffs & scratches & probably saved my right mirror cover. The film probably won't "pay" for itself especially if you don't mind driving a beater.

10. bbqnosher

bbqnosher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    II
    For what its worth I stopped by a company who installs the 3M Scotchguard film, the Avery nano fusion film as well as the XPEL film. They had all three films installed on a white hood. In my opinion, the Avery nano film looked far superior to the other two in terms of gloss, clarity and no color shift. Investigating it further on the web, the 3M product appears to suffers from "orange peeling". Has anyone else done a comparison. of paint protection films.

11. clearbraj

clearbraj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are no patterns for full hood on this vehicle. You would need to ask you installer to bulk this part and add the fenders from the kit.

Full coverage hood and fender kits are limited to higher end vehicles that being said over the last few years many vehicles have TRUE frontal impact ( high probablity impacts) over the full hood ( Prius, Civic's, etc) and the designers have been introducing full hood protection for these vehicles. Hope this helps.

For the Pruis we usually install full hood, bikkini fenders ( in lieu of full fender coverage) this saves the customer some dead presidents.

12. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup, that is also what I found. I have a local installer coming next week to custom cut the full hood from avery nano bulk material.

13. clearbraj

clearbraj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

You are correct. The 3M product has orange peel look - high gloss. This is not a negative. This film is the only one on the market with a Clear Coat applied to the surface. This is the main reason why this film is the hardest to install (on difficult fitments) so there may be alot of negative remarks do to this. Installers must be certifed by 3M to offer any warranty. My opinion is if you are a 3M certifed installer all the other films are easy to install. The 3M film matchs most vehicles with an orange peel from the factory. There are premium films - Nano Fusion and NEW XPEL Ultimate which have no orange peel and look great on darker vehicles especially vehicles with no orange peel - Audi to name one.. 3M carries a 5 year warranty and Nano carries a lifetime warranty.

Some believe ventureshield ultra is prem film - it is not, it does however have no orange peel. We do not recommmend this film for the daily drivers in the florida - film does not hold up well with the love bugs. Do not get me wrong - we install ventureshield but limited cases. Their warranty does not cover yellowing and it has the same warranty as 3M product.

FYI: We install 3M, Nano, XPEL, Ventureshield Films. This way we can meet the needs of any customer from a material perspective.

14. bbqnosher

bbqnosher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    II
    Well, since you offer and install the three films which would you recommend for a classic silver prius ? Does the Prius paint have the orange peel look? Which film would blend in best to the non covered surfaces? I'm sort of leaning towards the nano fusion film based on probably non valid reasons.....it seem more transparent/clear, it thinner and therefore I assume more conformable, the lifetime warranty and the cost. Also, the company who offers it is one of the main distributors of nano fusion film and trains other companies in applying the film so presumably they know what they are doing. There price was $625 for full hood and front fascia bumper/grill vs $800 for the 3m Scotchguard from a second company. Are those reasonable prices? .

15. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had my 2011 Highlander Hybrid done today. Full hood custom fit coverage with Avery Nano Fusion film. The installer (Rob from Design Shielding in Chicago) was excellent. I realize it hasn't fully cured yet, but it looks great. It is perfectly glossy and smooth with no orange peel whatsoever. He completely wrapped the front and side edges, so you can literally only tell it's on there if you look at the very back edge of the hood where there is maybe a 1/8" gap to the edge.

I have no reference to compare this to other films as far as appearance, quality or durability, but it sure looks great. I don't see any issues with the installation, so i can certainly recommend Design Shielding if you are in the Chicago area (feel free to mention me- maybe he'll give me a break if I do the same for our 2010 Prius lol!).

Attached Files:

16. clearbraj

clearbraj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Silver is the most invisible color for a clear bra. That being said. I would recommend Nano or 3M. Both these films will look good on you color. Both films are 6 mil/2mil adhesive. The $625 figure ( is this missing the mirrors and fenders?) is low however there are many factors to consider - are they using patterns (which ones) or cutting the patterns on the vehicle. What size fender patterns are they using? You can learn more on my web - click "Learn More?" Be sure the hood, fenders and bumpers are wrapped. Also I would protect the mirrors and A-pillars.

17. bbqnosher

bbqnosher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the feedback. The $625 figure was the full hood and full fascia(grill and bumper - nothing else) using nano fusion. The $800 figure was also the full hood and full fascia using the 3M scotchguard film but from a different company. The full fascia would be cut from a computer pattern. The hood would be done using bulk film and the edges of the hood covered. From your experience how long would it take to apply the film to the two items. I'm guessing at 4-5 hours ? 1 hr for the hood - 3-4 for the bumper?

18. clearbraj

clearbraj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are correct. The vehicle comes in , full walkaround inspection with customer, we wash (foam gun), clay, High pressure blow dry, clean the paint, place on ramps. Cut patterns/weed. Allow the vehicle to cool so the liquid does not vap off during installation. Install, Heat gun the edges, set outside in the sun, warm locaion to set the film, clean, windows, vaccum drivers side, completely seal the film. Since the film is similar to tint - moisture is present so we allow time for the film to set and remove as much as possible.

Make sure the wrap on the hood corners is well protected since this is not a precut full hood kit. Hope this helps Enjoy your Clear Bra.

19. bbqnosher

bbqnosher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    II
    Thanks again for the information. Your process indicates you take a lot of pride in your work and should be congratulated. I hope to find a local company that can approach your process. Having said that I'm intrigued trying it myself.....at least the hood for starters. There is a local distributor of the Avery nano film called Diamond-Shield....in Rochester, NY. They are the folks who quoted the $625 figure. They also provide "certified training" to companies. Have you every heard of them? I don't know how good they are but with the information you provided I can compare their process to y ours.. Since you agree the hood should take about an hour...if I attempt it , I will plan for 3 days....and hopefully, will end up with no knuckle prints. Here is the link for Diamond-Shield http://diamond-shield.com/

20. clearbraj

clearbraj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I am familar with them. They do motorhomes. Another issue which is very important to consider is the pattern being used. There are patterns and there are patterns. Tight fitment and maximum coverage is key and a minimum amount of relief cuts ( poor protection, easy to install and dirt get trapped between the jointing films) sometimes you can not avoid relief cuts many times patterns include these for ease of installation you need to investigate. The better/tighter fitment are more difficult to install and may cost alittle more. The best patterns hands down in the industry is XPEL and Proform. THe Nanofilm is a premium film carries a 7 year warranty for not certified installers and lifetime for ceritifed installers. The warranties are listed on our website.

If you are installing yourself I would have the kit wrappable. Ask for this option. Little easier to install. Hope that helps.