1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius Head Gasket Failure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by The Critic, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think the 5 post delay is to post links, pictures, and maybe your posts are delayed, until moderator reviews?

DieselHammer likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Right, there's a delay for a new member's first five posts so a moderator can confirm they're not spam.

The most confusion it causes is right after the first post gets approved; it's usually some "please help me with X" post, and then a bunch of people reply with questions, and the poor OP is answering the questions, but nobody sees the answers until the moderator approves the additional posts.

mikey_t likes this.
  3. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No EGR gas is flowing whatsoever through these ports prior to cleaning on car w 225k. Other car has used engine w unk miles and was pretty clean. Going to do another one later this week. Wonder what I will find?

Attached Files:

DieselHammer likes this.
  4. Nortonbrian

Nortonbrian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

what guarantee the replacement motor doesnt have a head gasket problem?

douglasjre and Bill Norton like this.
  5. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Most of your pics are meaningless, except for that view down the intake manifold ports.
    Are you saying if you try to flow air into the EGR valve port nothing flows from the small egr ports at the ports that meet the head?

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @douglasjre: With EGR cooler orifice pics, you need to either get a point light source shining right in, or somehow override the camera's auto-exposure, which is providing a very balanced exposure, of the shiny metal exterior.

douglasjre likes this.
  7. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    EGR ports 2 and 3 were clogged shut on this example

8. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If I had to do a hg job on a 190k car and intend to keep the car I'd recommend short blocking it

9. anon_prius

anon_prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just had the HG on my 2011 replaced at 192K. Happened very suddenly, no issues and then one morning at a stoplight I started getting multiple cylinder misfires and the engine started trying to vibrate out of its mount. Got it back home, coolant was low for the first time in years and decided to get it towed straight to gasket masters having been familiar with the defect. To add insult to injury I had cleaned out the EGR circuit about three years ago and installed an oil catch can, but that didn't seem to help. It did get a little colder in my area than normal the day it happened, I wonder if the block contracted a bit and allowed some coolant to seep into the gasket and steam it apart, just a hunch. $2500 + tax, new head gasket, new spark plugs, new pcv, cleaned EGR circuit, cleaned throttle body, new coolant and oil + 1 year warranty. Seems good as new so far, with the cost I'll need to drive it for another year or two for it to make sense.

mikey_t likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What was the miles when you did that cleaning? Intake manifold EGR passages cleaned as well?

11. anon_prius

anon_prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Cleaned it all up at 155,000. Everything was spitshined including the manifold passages, throttle body, sensors, I spent a solid day on the EGR cooler w/ a power washer until it ran clear. I errored on the side of overcleaning because I didn't want to ever have to do it again over the life of the Prius. It was much easier for me to spend time cleaning than trying to get the rear EGR bolts off and on. I think that the factory head gasket is just faulty and maybe you can help it a bit with a clean EGR/manifold but it's just a time bomb due to the insufficient coating and tight proximity to the coolant passages. Interestingly, before the multi-cylinder misfire it was only throwing a code for cylinder 3 so I think that's where the seepage began and it just expanded the entire head from there. I should also note that this engine has never burned oil either so I don't think the piston rings had anything to do with it. Perhaps the EGR/manifold cleaning is more important for the oil burning issue since it seems like it is very important to keep the rings clean.

In any case I removed the OCC.

mikey_t likes this.