1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius Headlights Keeps Blowing Out

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MacArthur, Feb 14, 2020.

1. MacArthur

MacArthur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2011 Prius, without any issue all the way till last year, then the headlights lowbeam start to blow out, first it was driver side, then passenger side, then driver side again. Today is the 5th time, they both went dead at the same time.

Every time the blown-out bulb removed, I'll test with a multimeter to verify, and no they were not conductive. I can even see the burned filament dangling inside.

Tried both Philips and Sylvania H11 bulbs, and some cheaper ones from Amazon and eBay, none last over 6 months. And it seems that the interval goes shorter and shorter . These last pair of bulbs I've only had them for a little over a month.

Does this happen to anybody else? I heard some rumor saying Prius had this bad reputation with headlights... Or is it just my bad luck? like my headlight is cursed?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Some 2010s and 2011s had the eats_low_beams feature, which can be fixed by obtaining two $35 wire-harness additions and having them (carefully!) spliced in.

Carefully because there is some aluminum wire in the car's wire harness, and aluminum-to-copper splices must be made in a very exacting way to avoid being fire hazards (as many who owned homes in the US in the '70s could attest).

The problem is way more pronounced with "extra bright" bulbs, which have shorter lifetimes than standard ones under the best of circumstances. At most auto parts stores, the "extra bright" ones are hanging right in front of your face at eye level, and the standard ones are down by your ankles.

If you make sure to use the standard ones, that may ameliorate the problem enough for you that you won't even bother with the wire harness mods. That's what happened to me: the previous owner of my 2010 complained about not being able to keep low beams in it; I put in standard ones and they were fine for three years.

#2 ChapmanF, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Ohiki Guernsey likes this.
  3. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One additional note: when you handle halogen bulbs, avoid actually touching the bulb with your fingers, as skin oils are likely to shorten the life of the bulb. It's a good policy to wipe the bulb surface right before installation with a clean cloth/paper towel and some rubbing alcohol. Use of clean gloves is also a boon...

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    and make sure they're firmly seated in the correct orientation, with the bail firmly locked to prevent uneven output, life-shortening hotspots or vibration induced damage.

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There’s a tsb for this particular headlight issue. And they’ll even reimburse you on the terms you have bulb receipts.

Ohiki Guernsey likes this.
  6. MacArthur

MacArthur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the reminder. Yes I've been very careful with that. H11 bulb typically comes with a foam sleeve on it. I only remove it right before inserting into the socket.

7. MacArthur

MacArthur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Talking about that, do you think changing into LED bulb is a good idea? I mean, it's LED, so there goes the "blow out" matter.

I bought a pair of cheap LED H11 from eBay, and of course they are not working :( Any recommendation on that?

8. MacArthur

MacArthur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Really? I'll be rich... By "they" are you referring to the dealership? Any dealership? Or Toyota USA?

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I put some cheap LEDs in a year or so ago (my standard halogens still hadn't burned out, by the way).

I like the light from the cheap LEDs. I could do without the radio interference.

On my to do list is to see if I can reduce that any, playing with some shielding tape and/or ferrites, but I never get around to it.

10. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    If you haven't already, go to the Toyota Owners site HERE and create an account. Put in your VIN and see if there are any TSB's. I had bulb failures too, but after the wiring harness replacements 02/17/18 all is well. They called it a Warranty Enhancement, and I'm looking at my repair ticket here and don't see a TSB number. Good luck.

Edit: Just looked it up in my service history, and the only additional information I can supply is this name and part number:
    REPAIR KIT, HEADLAMP Part No. 0400752147

#10 AzWxGuy, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020