1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius III - Nothing! Straight stumped.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Samsails, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Samsails

Samsails New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2011 Prius III - Key unlocks and locks the doors, break lights and headlights work, dome light works but that's it. The only dash lights that work on are door open light and security light. Nothing else. I've ruled out the break switch. Installed a new 12V battery, new key fab battery, had the locksmith out who said the car is recognizing the key. The car has been sitting for a couple of months. I'm stumped at this point. Any ideas??? What am I missing?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you checked your fuses?

Have you confirmed your new 12v is not defective?

Also what happened last time car was working normally? More details the better!

Generally after 2 months of sitting this would be low voltage in hybrid battery, but pretty sure that'd lead to warning lights, rather than car being bricked.

#2 PriusCamper, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    captj94 likes this.
  3. captj94

captj94 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    yes thank you I did confirm the new battery is good car drove fine all fuses are getting power and I tried pulling the HVB service fuse on the main and then replacing it. if you try and lock the key in it it will sound the beeping and the dash will display key in vehicle but if you press the power button it will not light up even if I hold the key in front of it nothing happens.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bummer, I know some options if this was a gen2 Prius, but this is over my head with Gen3. Seems like your next step is to buy a cheap Mini-VCI dongle and get Toyota Techstream running on an old windows computer and get to work on all the options that software has. Or maybe locksmith used that software?

Also some threads worth reading: Immobilized ecu dead key fob | PriusChat

2010 Prius won’t start with key fob! | PriusChat

5. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I seem to recall some threads that talk about the car not "looking" for the key after a long time so as not to kill the battery. OTOH, maybe those were threads about people WANTING the car not to look for the battery so as not to kill the battery. Hopefully, someone smarter than I has the answer for you.

I think this is your key (pun intended) symptom. I wouldn't put much stock in what a "locksmith" thinks about the key being recognized by the Prius. My money is on this being an immobilizer issue.

#5 Johnny Cakes, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    PriusCamper likes this.
  6. Yaesu

Yaesu Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have read that there is a button somewhere near the steering column on some Prius' that can be used to prevent the fob from communicating with the vehicle.

This is another reason why I dislike the fob and press-to-start/stop button. I can't figure out what is wrong with an ignition switch that uses a key. Nothing can be easier than the set up in my 2012 Tundra. I don't have to hold the key in the start position. And I can leave the key in the locked garage for a quick get-away if needed.

7. captj94

captj94 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    if it is the immobilizer do you know of any fix's other then towing it to the stealership and bending over?

8. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I know you replaced the key fob battery, but before I grabbed my ankles for the dealership, I'd try another brand-new guaranteed fresh battery, make sure it is inserted properly ( + / - ) and make sure that the contacts in the fob appeared good.

When you said the "key unlocks and locks the doors" I'm thinking you mean the physical key and not the fob. Does the fob work for locking/unlocking?

I'd also try disconnecting the 12v battery, wait, and reconnect. Will that help? Probably not but the expense of towing to the dealership calls for long shots.

Please do us a favor and circle back when you get this resolved to close the loop on this for people searching in the future.

PriusCamper likes this.
  9. captj94

captj94 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    so! I am happy to announce the problem is fixed car is working perfectly! here's what I did. Behind the glove box there are a mess of wires to the right of the in cabin filter there was one of these connectors that had worked it self lose over time and although it looked connected it was not fully seated after I heard the click while pushing on them to double check the car started right up. thank you all for your help!!!!