1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius infotainment/radio memory loss

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by justphilly, Nov 16, 2021.

1. justphilly

justphilly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First thing I noticed was that I'd shut off the car and sometimes it'd turn back on in accessory mode about five seconds later. Happens most times I shut down the car.

Later I found that the fob wouldn't work. Though the battery was low but now I suspect the car is not powering the system that "listens" for the signals sent by the fob after 8+ hours. (I end up using the physical key to get in and putting the fob next to the start button like I would with dead fob battery). When the car has been running at any time during, say, the last five or ten minutes, the fob seems to work fully as designed.

Later I find that upon each startup (at least, if the car has sat for 8+ hours) the infotainment thing does a "loading, please don't turn off" screen for 1 or 2 minutes and I can't use the back up camera before it loads. Happening consistently now under the aforementioned circumstances.

The dashboard clock, too, does not keep time of the car is left off for a long interval either.

Are my 12v battery terminals connected wrong, did something else go wrong?... I'm a bit confused. No difficulty getting the car itself to start and drive! I replaced the 12v battery myself when it started to go bad a year ago.
    This is a higher mileage (a little under 200k) 2011 Prius Three

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you driving it fairly regularly, or it sits for days? And how long are your drives?

4. justphilly

justphilly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    20min commute each morning and evening

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's not bad, should be enough to keep a battery charged. We're VERY sporadic usage, garage stored, and I keep the 12 volt on a charger pretty much 'round the clock. We do the occasional good run, try to consolidate trips. Today for example we're running a family member out to Vancouver airport (YVR), starting from North Coquitlam; that'll perk it up. :)

upload_2021-11-18_6-37-35.png

6. justphilly

justphilly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What I'm seeing makes me think this is something other than a bad 12v battery. I turned the car off waiting for someone and then tried to turn it on again ~ 10 minutes later and it looked like it was trying to start, made a little click sound, but then went "dead". Now the trip odometers, A and B, are also re-set! When I shut down the car at home 30 minutes later, the power locks were no responsive for a minute or so after shutting down but then came back on

7. Premanshu Jain

Premanshu Jain New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My car also has similar issues. It usually happens when car is sitting COLD for 24 hrs or longer.