1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius low beams not working. Help please!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mochosla, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Mochosla

Mochosla Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Hello everyone. As the title says, I have 2011 Prius and the low beam headlights stopped working alltogether. High beams work fine. I checked the fuses in the engine compartment and they seem to be fine (although I was not sure which ones are the ones for the low beams so I checked them all :) ). I figure it may be one of the relays. Do you guys have any experience with these relays? Where are they located? Anything else I should look into?

Thank you very much.

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you check if you were getting voltage at the bulb?
    There is a recall for the low beams from Toyota.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are fuses for the high beams but not for the low beams. Those are fed by the Integration Relay which, while called a "relay", is really a spiffy semiconductor multi-switch with its own current limiting, so instead of blowing like a fuse, it's supposed to just be able to limit fault currents until a problem is fixed. (I think. Anyway, there are no user-visible fuses in it.)

I don't have any idea how often an Integration Relay actually fails. As a no-moving-parts semiconductor thing, I'd guess not very often. Wiring damage might be more likely.

You can see the integration relay in the underhood fusebox on the left. It comes out and has three plug-in connectors on the bottom, though I do not know if there's enough slack in those to really just pull it out and unplug them from above. Annoying if you have to free up the fusebox and fuss with things through the bottom cover.

Never mind the green line here, I'm cribbing this image from a different thread about horns. The low beam headlights are connector 1G, pin 1 (right) and 2 (left). Both wires are purple. The one for the left is thinner wire, to go a shorter distance but still drop equal voltage. That's important; early Gen 3s have been known to eat their low beam bulbs really fast by overvolting them.

[​IMG]

And yes, as ASR suggested ... if you haven't yet just checked for voltage at the bulb sockets ... that's the easiest place to start.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I will assume you have halogen lights and not led. I would verify you have the correct low beam bulbs and verify the integration relay's 40 amp fusible link. I believe the bulbs are H11. Also make sure both bulbs are not burned out. The bulbs connect direct to the integration relay and ground. A simple voltage check at the bulb's connector verifies everything. 749A4CA8-D0BF-46F6-B246-1E36BC1C561A.jpeg

#4 rjparker, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The integration relay is sneaky because it gets power from more than one place. Those 40 amps from the P/I 2 fuse feed into it on connector 1H pin 7 ("BATT"), and there's also an ignition-only feed into it on connector 1G pin 14 ("IG1"), but it also has a giant connection "DCDC" directly to the car's DC/DC converter inside the fusebox. (The converter isn't inside the fusebox, I mean the connection is.) That doesn't have a connector or pin number because it's just a big metal blade at the top of the relay that mates into the fusebox. It also doesn't have a fuse. (There's a 125 amp DC/DC fuse buried in the fusebox, but this connection is on the converter side of it.)

So this "relay" is an intricate beast that gets power from multiple sources and distributes it to a whole bunch of things. The wiring diagrams never "look inside" it to show which outputs are derived from which inputs. (I've never found anything that even describes it enough to say what the two test points on top of it are for.) But for most of the skinny-wire circuits coming out of it, clearly it has to be doing overcurrent protection itself; they would not be protected only by the 40 A P/I 2 fuse, much less the monster DC/DC feeder.

E.png

#5 ChapmanF, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  6. Mochosla

Mochosla Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Thank you all for your help. So I went to check the voltage at the socket and as I turned to remove it from the headlight, the light turned on. The left side didn't so I checked it and the bulb was burnt out. Mind you, I had already removed the left side to ensure the bulb was fine and it never turned on. I replaced the left side bulb and the lights work now but I'm concerned that they will go out again. I believe I saw something about a wiring issue with these models. I wonder if I have an issue with the wiring at the socket that caused the issue and probably burnt out the left side? The bulbs are fairly new, maybe 6 months old.

Thoughts?

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The cheap bulbs burn out quickly, but I just buy a bunch on ebay. Mine usually last over a year and I run them day and night for safety. Also wear gloves when you handle the new bulbs. Skin oils will create a hotspot and burn out halogens.

#7 rjparker, Mar 23, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The wiring issue is that some had too-heavy wiring that did not drop the voltage enough on the way to the headlights, so their lifespan was reduced. The official fix was I-kid-you-not to splice in additional lengths of wire that were calculated to get the right voltage drop.

It makes a big difference whether you are using the standard bulbs or "premium" extra-bright ones. The extra-bright ones are already built to have shorter lifetime in trade for brighter output, and when you combine that with too-high voltage in a Prius without the wiring fix, they get vaporized in mere months. The standard ones last a lot longer.

The last owner of my 2010 complained about how often it ate low beams. So I bought the official harness extensions, but never got around to splicing them in. The last pair of bulbs he put in before selling me the car were standard ones, and those never burned out in three years.

Usually, at the auto parts stores, they put the "premium" extra bright bulbs on the pegs right up at eye level where they hope you will see them, and they hang the standard ones down by your ankles where they hope that you won't.