1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius noise taking off

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Raphael Muscarelle, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Raphael Muscarelle

Raphael Muscarelle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok I replaced all the suspension on this car and still have a noise taking off. I could use some help please.
    Noise stared after I got low flow hybrid Coolant. Replaced pump. Could it be a relay making noise?
    I'm at a loss.

https://youtube.com/shorts/SzKALfH75Ug?feature=share

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Pure guess is air in the coolant lines.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah it certainly doesn't sound like a suspension problem that's for sure of course the microphone on your phone and what not is pretty limiting but still

4. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I burped the lines a bunch. Before this.

5. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm kinda thinking axel noise now. Unfortunately I'm having trouble popping them out without a lift.
    Definitely not suspension unfortunately.

6. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How would air in the lines make such a noise?

7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Trying describing which noise in the video you are concerned with. I hear something that sounds like water sloshing around and I hear something that sounds like you putting it in gear with clicking. Is the sound under the hood or in the cabin? Is it on the passenger or drivers side?

Did you replace the pump? If so, exactly how did you remove the air?

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Put two jacks on ea side of car lift front end . No accel in place with no weight is noise gone ,? Quite possibly axle/s no load lotta times click is gone. ?

9. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can and will do that but I know if I don't touch the gas there is no noise until some load is applied.
    I've tried to get out the axels before and was unsuccessful. So transmission change seems like it's probable if I have to go that way .

10. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You can't get the transmission out without first removing the cv axles. Plus the engine. Normally bad cv joints click when going around corners under load. You need to take it to a shop with tools and experience necessary to remove the axles.

11. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I surely can take that transmission out with leaving both the drive shafts in the in the transmission fully intact.
    But what I would do is I would dismantle the drive shaft inside the inner joint what you got to do is take the boot off and slides right out so the inner joint will be attached to the transmission and the rest of the drive shaft will be out. I can fully describe how I would take the transmission out with the drive shaft fully intact.

12. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes I am fully aware that usually get click click click going around turns with the OUTER CV joint bad If I remember correctly when you have a bad inner joint it makes a different problem.

13. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think I'm coming to the realization that it's the transmission why I think is the transmission is of what it doesn't do. It does not If you come to a full stop when you're in neutral. Put in drive at stop it goes just fine. Bringing up the speed put it into neutral come to a stop. Put it in drive go it does not make it click. Put in neutral come to a stop does not make a noise. Put it in drive go if there's not make a noise. Does this consistent if I do not come to a stop and drive it does not do it. Now if I come to a stop in neutral and I put in reverse and I go a little bit a couple feet not much makes click noise put it in drive makes a click noise when it goes.
    How is this the drive shafts like the inner joint or is this the transmission or is it a burned out inverter. I'm kind of leaning towards getting a transmission taking the engine out disassembling the drive shafts in the car to where I still have the inner joints inside the transmission pulling that out putting new transmission in putting new drive shafts in and going from there.

14. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did take some video of my experimentations at a bunch of different stop signs I could post that and you can look at them if you want some of them are a little bit long 15 minutes or so

15. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Burned out inverter No you mean a burnt up MG1 or two or something The inverter just sits on top of the engine doesn't go round and round doesn't do anything it's electrical only the motor generators on the other hand spin reverse spin make regen breaking possible and all that I guess it's remotely possible that something in there could be making a noise I can't remember your mileage but I'm sure it's up there I mean is this little noise really worth it to you to rip the transmission out and change it out or even the drive axles which it may well not be but at near 200,000 miles it never hurts to put new drive axles in of course if you're old ones are quiet and everybody's happy then you leave them at some point you got to do hub bearings you might as well do the axle shafts at the same time so you don't have to take it apart again and only do one piece usually I try to put in struts hub bearings axle shafts and sway bar end links all in one swoop and use reasonable parts doesn't have to be dealer but midline or upper from the aftermarket but some people work differently and that's fine too especially if you're paying for shops you know they're going to charge you for every little thing even though you have to rip the whole front end apart practically to do the wheel bearings or whatever they'll still charge you $200 to put on the strut which is three bolts you know whatever it's already hanging off the car about the fall off this is not off already doing what he's doing so that's how things get maxed out quickly.

16. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Used for work. It's not little noise 393 k mikes

17. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The "trick" to getting a stuck cv axel out is 2 pry bar's, NOT screw drivers.
    Apply them 180 degree's apart, apply pressure on one side, then rock the other
    side. It helps if you have someone else pushing/popping/pulling the axel.
    You have to be patient, it will eveniually come out.
    It's the clip on the end of the axel that's sticking, usually.
    Sometimes smacking outer end with a 5# hammer while applying pressure on the
    pry bars can pop it free. Make sure you have axel nut on in case you damage the treads
    you can file them down and then back the nut off.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Getting up there.

19. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Noises like this also have a tendency to get worse and worse and worse until they do something like break a hole in the transmission and you're still out all your transmission fluid in your calling up a tow truck and you still have to replace the transmission then now you have to wait on the side of the road for your tow truck that you got to pay for then you got to go get or have somebody to charge you 10 times as much for the transmission yeah pay them to put it in because now they have your car which now goes $1,500 or $2,000 just because you don't want to fix a little noise that usually tend to get worse and worse and worse right now I have the opportunity to say replace the transmission for $250 on my time which will take maybe if I do a real quick 2 days maybe 4 days if I do it slow it's going to cost me 4 days worth of work gee that's probably just the amount that the tow truck is going to cost me

20. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Struts is 6 bolts or 7 including the sway bar link On top of taking all the bolts out for the windshield and it's mounting tray.