1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius noise taking off

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Raphael Muscarelle, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's only numbers, and you'll be happy. (y)

2. Raphael Muscarelle

Raphael Muscarelle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just rewatched this

And came to the conclusion that the only way the input shaft would not turn independently, is if the planetary gears are frozen (rusted) together.
    Too bad these people messed up their transmissions by leaving the axle holes open to the Florida humidity.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will surely be assured it wasn't out in the rain rusting ready to blow-up at anytime

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do use this to make my living probably for next 2 to 7 years with this car and probably will feel a lot safer with factory new transmission.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And the numbers equate to 3-4 weeks of work and maybe add to resale if the car makes it that far.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've actually spoken to some of these sellers and when they are asked to make sure the input shaft turns they say it's not supposed to. Excuse me I beg to differ see video on how everything spins independently and only when power is supplied to the electric engines does the input shaft power go anywhere near the parking paw.
    So yeah I lost trust in people selling these. I would only buy a used one again if I was going to take it apart and inspect everything and have access to buy new parts that might be questionable. Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota really belabours the need to not have the transaxle fill bolt off any more than necessary, and says to ONLY use Toyota ATF WS from freshly opened bottles.

So boneyard transaxles out on the elements and unsealed, not so good…

8. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I even had someone outright lie to me saying all their transmissions are tested on a Dyno. Sure yeah right buddy. I only saw 1 very very custom Dyno that someone made for educational purposes that I don't think an unmodified transmission could be tested on. Liers these people are.

And it wasn't even a Dyno it was a display unit that could simulate the operation of engine to operate the transmission.

#108 Raphael Muscarelle, Dec 14, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  9. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yup I had bought a case of them when I began this nightmare on trans street.

10. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah planetary gears sun gears ring gears and the bearings all rust really quick in humid conditions and even not so humid conditions. All these things kinda polish themselves during use. Polished metal rust really easy.
    I'm sure the transfluid protects for a small amount of time. But only a short amount of time before it's gone from the surface and the rust starts.
    Unfortunately for me the people around me didn't seem to understand this.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wasn't talking about junkyard ones. But remanufactured ones.
    You should not have any problems with these. These places take them apart and
    replace any questionable parts and bring it back to "factory specs".

MOST of these places do a good job. You will ALWAYS find a bad place. Even getting a
    new one from Toyota doesn't mean it will be fine.

Just make sure it is NOT "rebuilt", but remanufactured.

Or spend a lot more for a new one. Your money, your car.

12. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well new one is ordered up that you anyway.

13. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Omg my mechanic OCD is in full swing.
    I wish I could have taken that transmission apart.to find out what was doing that.
    But I'm stuck just visualizing the mechanics of how the transmission operates.
    My brains analysis says the bearings of the carrier in the mg1 planetary gear went bad. That also goes for all the other transmissions probably with rust being exposed to Florida humidity. That seems to be the only way to directly turn the power split device where the parking paw is on. If one or more of the planetary gears has a frozen bearing. Again rust is a major thing here.
    As per what the transmission was doing it really seems to fit the symptoms. I did find a very small amount of clutch powder on the dampener. So small of an amount I didn't notice it taking it apart. I think it is a minimal amount and it's ok.
    Ok hopefully my OCD is satisfied after watching the videos of how this transmission works for the 3rd time this week.

14. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I'm preparing to install this new transmission after I pick it up and I'm really sketched out about that transmission going bad. It felt good turning the input shaft yet it went bad somehow.
    Keep wondering if the oil pump didn't pump oil.
    One side of me says the transmission wouldn't make it to 1500 miles much less 3500 miles.
    Another side says I never touched a hybrid transmission before so I don't know that for sure.
    Another side of me says there must have been something wrong from the start since when I put it in there was a small vibration that just got worse and worse and was working on the engine to make sure it wasn't the engine doing the vibrating I was getting. Since I did change the plugs twice and the second time I had the plugs in for 300 miles and they came out clean as I never ran the engine I can say the engine was running perfectly fine.
    I never had to prime a transmission oil pump since there was no way to anyway. We just checked oil level really quick to make sure it pulled in oil and I never had any of the thousands of transmissions fail to self prime I can't imagine why a hybrid transmission oil pump would be any different. So it's hard to imagine the oil pump being a problem with a new transmission. I'm probably gonna search for someone examining the oil pump and see if there might be a reason a junkyard transmission would fail to self prime.
    I think the bolt on the oil pump is a pressure test hole and tempted to think about hooking up an oil line to make sure it is primed then I think I'm thinking into it too much and the junkyard transmissions have an almost impossible survival rate here in Florida the way these guys are handling them and storing them.
    I guess it's possible to hook up a pressure gauge to that hole and hand turn the input shaft and look for pressure to happen. That surely would tell me if it's primed before I install it.
    There is probably a spring and check ball behind that bolt. I could take that out and hand turn it and if oil comes out it should be primed. I think anyway.
    Then the question comes up can I get the transmission up to an rpm by hand for it to self prime.
    Wow lots of unknowns.
    I could be thinking about this too much.

I actually think I remember one time I filled a pump with grease to prime it.

#114 Raphael Muscarelle, Dec 16, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  15. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not even sure if I would trust the most competent rebuilder. It wouldn't be the builders fault at all. Thinking about what happened there is a way the damage could be very hidden even from the best rebuilder. Since this transmission is very solid so there are probably not many rebuilt the experience of knowing the hidden problems just might not be known to many.
    And this is coming from someone who rebuilt thousands of transmissions so I'm finished with all the parts in the transmission except the mg1 and 2. All the other gears I'm fimilar with and know the carrier bearings could have very slight damage that's super hard to pick out.
    Remanufactured is a term I would associate with the manufacturer taking it and rebuilding it and replacing the parts that could possibly go bad. So if bought from secondary person ya better have paperwork to say the manufacturer is the one that did it and not some bogus word attached to a rebuilt unit from someone's bench.
    Especially with these bearings. The manufacture will put assembly grease on them that keeps them from rusting in storage. Be very careful with these hybrid transmissions well any transmissions.
    Some of these planetary gears are not manufactured to be taken apart so a rebuilder could actually get grease into them to properly preserve them.
    Kinda guessing here Since I didn't pay a core charge the manufacturer is not remanufacturing them. Just a guess tho

#115 Raphael Muscarelle, Dec 16, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  16. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    New transmission photos.
    Some things to notes that didn't come with it.
    Looks like the fill plug did not come with it he ordered something that looked like it was the right thing.
    The white weather caps over the control wires I don't know what else to call them at the moment do not come with it.
    I have them but he's looking to see if he can order them because mine the tabs cracked up a little bit on the snap hole downs. Could use them but would like new IMG20221216130919.jpeg IMG20221216130903.jpeg IMG20221216130854.jpeg IMG20221216130844.jpeg IMG20221216130909.jpeg IMG20221216131134.jpeg IMG20221216131125.jpeg

ASRDogman likes this.
  17. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No Toyota is not remanufacturing this transmission.
    That's all he knew he didn't know why.

18. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  19. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  20. Raphael Muscarelle

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2.4 k views on that. I'm glad people are watching.
    It was amazing how many people tried to tell me the input shaft shouldn't rotate because it's a hybrid. There are a total of ZERO automatic and hybrid transmissions that work with its insides locked up and the input shaft won't rotate freely. Even manual transmissions rotate if there are no driveshafts in them. My advice with this transmission.. bite the bullet and buy new or junk the car if something happens to the transmission.

#120 Raphael Muscarelle, Dec 17, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
    TheLastMojojomo and Mendel Leisk like this.