1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius P0108 and p0328 p lock malfunction

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Michael Buske, May 14, 2020.

1. Michael Buske

Michael Buske New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I earlier posted about a p lock malfunction but because of the coronavirus and my mothers surgery I ended up parking the car with the hope I would eventually find a scanner to figure it out. I bought a new battery and that did not work. So for a month took the battery off the cables and let it sit. I put the battery back on today and it ran. So I ran to the nearest mechanic and had it scanned. While driving the p lock malfunction note came on and it did not seem to want to go into park. Anyway I was able to get it scanned and the codes p0108 and p0328 came up as well as c2300 and c0293. He cleared the codes but I am a bit scared to turn the car off so I might be able to drive it to toyota to get a better scan. I may leave the car running all night for fear of it not going into drive again. Any insight would be much appreciated.

2. Michael Buske

Michael Buske New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Even though I did not turn off the car it again won't go into park or drive and says p lock malfunction. So I turned it off. I checked under the hood while on and there was a louder than usual buzzing noise

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's usually corrosion and moisture. you might have to flatbed it to a dealer

4. Michael Buske

Michael Buske New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    So I took off battery cables and put them back on this morning and car ran again. If a rodent chewed on a cable would it more likely to work in warmer weather? And would you see the codes and p lock like I am seeing?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not likely. might be the moisture drying up. is there inverter fluid movement when ready?

6. Michael Buske

Michael Buske New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    When lid is off it looks like it is moving very very slowly. I listened for noise but there is a buzz sound around where the oil dip stick is that takes over.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    disconnecting the 12v resets the trouble codes and allows the car to drive until they set again.

8. Michael Buske

Michael Buske New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Yea did that a couple of times for over a day and it did not work. Actually had the battery off for near a month. The car ran then and then the check engine light came on. But codes were still there. I had the codes read and he said he cleared them but check engine light came on and actually the p lock error occurred this morning and I could not drive very briefly then it drove around and could put into park again. I am going to chance it tomorrow and drive 25 miles to nearest toyota dealer for a diagnostic.

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

10. Michael Buske

Michael Buske New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    So this was because of a mouse. Actually my first inclination if anybody read the original thread. Five wires needed to be repaired and has been running fine the whole week. Costs $200.00. I also think the warmer weather and humidity helped get a few of the wires to work so I did not have to tow it.

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mice. only good for lab experiments