1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius poor fuel economy in AZ

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by 11priusowner1955, Jul 11, 2015.

1. 11priusowner1955

11priusowner1955 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We just bought a 2011 and are only getting 40 mpg max. I wonder if the 110 Arizona summer heat has something to do with it. Pretty bummed. I have read 50 with careful driving is normal? I let bicycles outrun me? Any ideas? 12 volt battery? New plugs? It has 107,000. Please help

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    70 MPH bicycles will certainly outrun you if you want 50 MPG. I encourage you to minimize braking if you want higher MPGs.

Knowing your 12 batteries voltage after the car has been off for 12 hours would help decide if it was the issue. I encourage you to run AC to keep both batteries cool.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I also have trouble with performance and fuel economy in the recent AZ summers. My 2010 has 82k miles. When battery temps reach above 122°F, things go downhill in a hurry.

Are you tracking fuel economy (FE) with an app/website like Fuelly? I've tracked mine since the beginning of ownership, and the last 2-3 summers have been brutal on FE. Click through on the logo in my sig and find the lifetime graph. Summers take a huge dip for me.

There's a few anomalous drops due to higher speeds or hill climbs, but you can see definite downward trends during the July-Sept periods each year starting in 2012, and more or less worsening every summer. This summer has been particularly brutal w/ the last 3 tanks below 40mpg at the pump.
    MPG by date.png

MPG by Odometer
    MPG by odometer.png

#3 HTMLSpinnr, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had an unusual event last week when driving w/o AC in 93-94F weather and the car would not go into hybrid mode. But when I was stopped at the bank drive-through in the sun, I turned on the AC. On the way home, the car finally went into hybrid mode:
    • Make sure the battery cooling inlet is not blocked.
    • Try to run AC in the upper 70s for 5+ minutes.
    • See if the car will then go into hybrid mode where the engine is off at speeds under 42 mph.
    My hypothesis is the car will protect the NiMH batteries from excessive heat by monitoring the air inlet temperature. If it is 'too hot', the car will not put the additional stress on the traction battery.

Never forget, 'heat is the enemy.' As much as possible, park in shade.

Bob Wilson

#4 bwilson4web, Jul 12, 2015
  5. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Shade is a luxury often not found here in the desert.

I've edited my post above to show trends that started in 2012, and have worsened every summer.

Inlet isn't blocked, and I monitor the BT2 sensor (per ScanGauge spreadsheet), 45-46°C is when hybrid mode reduces, and anything much above 50-51 means a very sluggish time.

I've seen as high as 58°C parked in the sun 1-2 hours after driving due to heat soak and chemical activity.

@Tideland Prius mentioned to me in another forum that he recently saw this behavior too for the first time.

6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @HTMLSpinnr just out of curiosity.. are you running A/C in auto/recirculation mode?

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm beginning to wonder if a passive 'swamp cooler' on the inlet with a solar powered fan on the exhaust might mitigate the problem. A cup of water reservoir feeding the inlet side and a temperature controlled fan might work.

Hummm, let me see what I have in my junk box.

Upon further thought, a cold-plate might be a better solution. Less plumbing and more easily integrated with the existing car.

Bob Wilson

#7 bwilson4web, Jul 12, 2015
  8. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I start in recirc (which is never full recirc), then once the cabin has cooled slightly, switch to fresh if I don't hear the battery fan running on its own. The battery fan sounds speed sensitive, as it runs faster/louder once I'm up to speed, and gets nearly silent when stopped at a light. The engine doesn't stop idling.

I do have a solar roof. I don't suspect that forcing hot cabin air through the battery vent (it is the quickest way out with the battery exhaust port exiting the rear of the car) when the blower is on mid-day helps either.

Also worth noting, when the battery is above 50°C, A/C compressor will be shut off momentarily during acceleration to shed load (verified by ScanGauge w/ AC watts dropping to zero).

I don't imagine that adding any sort of humidity to the battery would help w/ long-term corrosion. It wouldn't be my first choice of approach.

--

On my MPG graphs above, you can see two seasonal dips. One slight dip for winter when heater is required, and a more severe dip in the summer. Very late fall and early spring are the best times when neither heat, nor A/C, nor battery heat are factors in FE.

9. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd keep it on recirc all the time. Recirc still gets air from outside, but it is down to 10%. Cooling 80F+ takes less energy than cooling outside 110F.

I suspect that dust in battery isn't helping, perhaps opening it up and blowing it out with compressed air would help? That is the standard solution for noisy CPU fans

10. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd keep it on recirc all the time. Recirc still gets air from outside, but it is down to 10%. Cooling 80F+ takes less energy than cooling outside 110F.[/quote]

I don't have a need to change from auto most of the time, but switching from recirc to fresh has shown a 1-3°C drop in battery temp over a 5-10 min period even if the battery blower isn't running, hence the change. At that point, I'm more concerned about getting the battery below 45°C so that the car enters Hybrid mode. That's a far better increase in FE than the ½-1kW of energy used to cool fresh vs. cabin air.

I haven't pulled the cover yet, but have forced a leaf blower through the vent to help force dust free, assuming it's not caked on. I did also look at the fan motor itself, and it was completely clean. No pet hair, no layers of dust, etc.

Part of my reluctance to pull any covers is that given the car is under extended warranty (and hybrid warranty), I want Toyota to resolve this. I've reported it at least twice to two different dealers, both of whom could either not reproduce the problem, claim it's normal, or couldn't find any fault codes via TechStream, thus dismissed it.

11. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    My 2011 has 77k at the moment. I drive 140 miles a day at mostly highway speeds. Destination is 2000 feet higher than home. I reset Trip A after refueling. My eyeballed long term average mpg from November 2014 to now has been 49 mpg down and 51 mpg back. That has really not changed much even in the July heat. I use an Optimate 5 battery conditioner on my 12V about once a month. I know that I am getting close to the end of the effective useful life of my little 12V, which I suspect you may have surpassed. Better give it a good check-out.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are 'highway speeds', 65 mph?

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Using your Fuelly data and weather records for the tank intervals:
    [​IMG]
    The critical temperature appears to 90F. Would you be interested in testing battery specific cooling?

Bob Wilson

14. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Sort of a generic term meaning not city stop-and-go. The actual distances and speed limits (70 miles one way) are 13 miles at 45 mph, 27 miles at 75 mph, and 30 miles at 65 mph. My average mph readout on Trip A is usually around 56 mph.

bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  16. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What does that entail? A simple duct from an A/C vent into the battery intake? I'm not open to anything intrusive at this point.

17. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]
    looking at distribution it seems that after 1st year you have MPG dropping consistently, in winter too. This is not related to battery cooling issue, it may be something else. New tires? issues with pressure gauge? traction battery aging? Tire sidewalls getting harder?

I'd check the tire alignment, 12v battery, etc. Both of our Prii '10 Gen3 and '14 C had too much toe-in. McPherson toes-in under compression, so there will be extra toe when springs settle.

18. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Alignment is fine (adjusted to near-zero toe before summer started). Tires are Bridgestone Ecopia 422s at 42/40.

Winter drops due to the use of heat in the AM and PM running the engine more. It does get down to freezing in the AM hours in the desert. Spring and fall are no A/C and no heat, mostly with windows down and moonroof open unless on the highway. Driving style hasn't changed significantly in the 6 years I've had the car - Eco mode, moderately fast starts to speed, then feather to keep it steady.

12V battery is the only remaining part (probably time to order an Optima), but I seriously doubt it causes the car to fall out of hybrid mode when the hybrid battery is at or above 46°C. Could be traction battery age - I need to find a way to check resistance for each cell, but wouldn't Toyota's TechStream check for that too?

My ScanGauge doesn't accept new PIDs anymore (seems its flash doesn't write new settings anymore) or I'd set them to check resistance. BT Dongle and Torque would be my way of checking - just haven't prioritized getting a new dongle.

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

In engineering, GOOD, FAST, CHEAP, pick two:
    • FAST, CHEAP - spoof the temperature sensors. A 5F difference would unlikely significantly impact traction battery life BUT there are multiple temperature sensors. These have to surveyed and the hypothesis tested.
    • GOOD, FAST - use a portable air conditioner with flexible ducting that forces cold air through the traction battery cooling air inlet 30 minutes before leaving ... a block heater in reverse.
    • GOOD, CHEAP - freezer packs are put around the traction battery in the morning and taken out at night to be refrozen. Alternatively, a vented chest holds the freezer packs to pre-cool the air fed to the inlet. I do not recommend a 25 lb block of ice due to melt-water issues.
    Bob Wilson

#19 bwilson4web, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    HTMLSpinnr likes this.
  20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. Who wudda thunk ??

The good news is that in a couple of months you can snicker when you read thread titled "Lousy MPG at 0F? "

#20 SageBrush, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    bwilson4web likes this.