1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 prius slip indicator light always on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ilovetoracecross, Feb 15, 2020.

1. ilovetoracecross

ilovetoracecross Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys. Long post.. sorry

So my horn in the 11 prius stopped working. Ish. It worked at certain positions on the wheel leading me to believe a clock spring failure was the culprit.

Replaced clock spring. First with a Chinese one. Went through several to get one that worked, eventually going to a refurbished/wrecked oem unit.

Trouble is, now the slip indicator is always on. Techstrean says "c1231 steering angle sensor circuit" clicking on it says "malfunction present DTC (S305-12).

Any ideas? Or a diagnostic chart if I have to pin it out to isolate the problem? Thanks

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Was the steering angle sensor still attached to the clockspring you most recently put in, or did you transfer it over from your original? Was the steering shaft straight and the sensor straight when you put the clockspring on? Are the connections secure?

If all the simple stuff is checked, then the repair manual troubleshooting steps for C1231 would seem to be next.

3. ilovetoracecross

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Connections good, dont think there is a blown fuse. A little uncertain which fuse it could be. Sensor is part of the clock spring (i suspect, there's a plug only as part of the loom) so it's new with the unit.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the sensor is detachable from the clockspring, though the manual recommends that you don't. With the number of clocksprings you've gone through by this point, it sounds like you might have a sensor or two you could try, if the one that's in there doesn't cooperate.

Have you caught up with where to get the manuals so you can follow the C1231 troubleshooting?

5. ilovetoracecross

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, can you link me the manual?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model: