1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius Stereo not turning on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by darkgiant, Nov 29, 2016.

1. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I decided to take my 2011 Prius to the Toyota dealership to get the curtain shield airbag taken care of (SSC G0U). It took quite a while, I dropped the car off at 9 AM, and got a call at around 4 PM. Anywho, upon arrival, when I left, I didn't realize until I hit the freeway that the stereo never turned on, I tried multiple things from literally slamming it a bit to see if its a lose connection, to holding down the power button, but nothing. Nothing appears on the LED screen.

When I had my headlights on, there was no green tint on the bar (I have the non-GPS/backup camera version), whereas the screen for the heater and all the buttons around it light up.

So my question is this:
    • What exactly is performed in these recalls, and is there any chance there is relation to having the stereo suddenly no longer turn on in result of this dealership visit, whether it is interfering wiring and what not? Not sure if it is worthwhile to give the dealership a call.
    • Also, which number fuse should I check first? I unfortunately misplaced the fuse cover that has the diagram and owners manual after hardwiring my dashcam.
    • Are there any other things I should check that could be related to the stereo/radio not turning on?

As a side not: I decided to get a "free" carwash apart of the dealerships service as the car was really dirty (it has been too cold to wash lately), and as a result the license plate frame for the front bumper (those $10 frames with qoutes/logos/etc...) literally got stripped off, and there are tons of water deposits all over the windows. I never, ever get car washes (especially because of the damage they ultimately do to the paint) but because it was really dirty, and I already plan to do a compounding/polishing session on the car figured I'd might as well. Just turned out to be more of a hassle. Just figured I'd share as I'd avoid the car wash.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can find a link to the PDF of the procedure they follow, in this post in the thread about the recall.

They don't really go mucking about in the dash. They also don't/shouldn't take the headlining completely out, but they do the cowl kick panels, A pillar trim, and pop the headlining loose.

How/where did you install your dashcam? Is it possible they could have disturbed some of your added wiring? Is it possible you shared a circuit with the headunit fuse?

-Chap

3. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is what I figured, but it is very odd that the stereo just stopped working like that.

As for the dasham, I basically installed the dashcam right behind the windshield mirror, and dragged the wire by tucking it from the headliner across the door molding and underneath the carpet to the fuse panel, where I simply used a female cig lighter socket and connected it with a fuse tap, and tapped it into the front AUX/Cig port (forgot the number, but it is the 15 AMP) and am using a 3 AMP for the dash cam (I read somewhere that exceeding a total 20 AMPs for that slot could be risky business). Though, I did notice that the wiring that I tucked in by zip-tying the socket and extra wire were cut, and all the wire was left hanging (They did mention about this after I signed all the paperwork) and then simply tucked it back in its normal location.

All of that being said, I am unsure how the wiring of the dash cam could interfere with the stereo, as it is only tapped to the front cig light fuse.

Any idea what the fuse is called just for the stereo? I believe it is a 7.5 or 10 AMP fuse, correct? I still can't find the fuse box cover that had all that information <.<

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would just look it up in the wiring diagram, but my subscription is lapsed for the moment. I like to wait until there are several things I want to know, then feed them another $15 for two days of access.

You might want to be looking at the diagram anyway, especially if it turns out not to be just a fuse, as it can show you what's related to what or routed near what and could give you ideas what might have happened. (Heck, even if you find a fuse blown, you'll still want to know how that happened.)

-Chap

5. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    You know we're going to have to ask you about the SOC of your 12V. And you have had enough Prii to know the first suspect in an electrical problem is that battery. It seems logical that the dealership (stealership) would leave a door open while they fiddled with things for 8 hours. Then when you come back later and complain about things not working they will upsell you a battery. I would take it back to them immediately and have them check it out.

6. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nah the 12V battery is perfectly fine, and since everything else powers up with no issues, I can't see how the 12V battery can be the issue.

I did check every single fuse, and nothing was wrong. Scanned the car via Techstream, and nothing showed up. Though, interestingly enough, when I turned on the car today, the radio/stereo automatically turned on. No idea what happened. The car was parked overnight, and when I started it up this morning, it functioned like normal. Maybe chalk it up as a random "one-time" glitch? I guess I will have to keep an eye on it for now, hopefully it was just a random "one time" issue. I am curious if anyone else had this kind of issue with their Prius before...

7. Tuffs783

Tuffs783 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Want to install aftermarket deck in my 2013 Prius, does anybody know what wiring harness I'll need for that and where I can get one for a decent price ?

8. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I personally am not familiar with the installation of an aftermarket deck for the Gen3 Prius, but I once did attempt to change the entire headset unit in a different car, http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wMoQvCFGVMp/m_750/Car-Stereo-Installation.html is an excellent resource for this. They sell the parts, all the wiring, brackets, tools, whatever you need to complete the job. I believe they also include documentation on how to do the entire process.

You can also speak with one of their agents via email who can give you recommendations on what setup works best for your needs. At this point, I sound like a salesman, so I'll stop there, but Crutchfield is an excellent resource for this kind of job.