1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 prius suddenly stopped with a jerk during accelerating & not starting later. Please help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ajithnit1, Jul 8, 2021.

1. ajithnit1

ajithnit1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Today while I was coming back from work my 2011 prius suddenly stopped with a jerk. Soon I heard some warning sound and check hybrid system message was displayed. I was in a very busy road and I drove the car to a ground on the side as my car had enough speed. I have an obd tool which I used to reset the check hybrid system error 4 months ago. I had my battery repair done by a professional and the battery was running perfect for past 3 months. But today suddenly it stopped without any warning. I tried to reset the check hybrid system error the same way I have done before using the OBD tool. But after the reset the same error displayed in the next second. now engine is not starting. Check hybrid system message is being displayed along with steering, ABS and stability control. Anyone have similar experience ? Please help me..

2. burebista

burebista Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A wild guess but I think this is your problem.
    From what I read here on PC and elsewhere a battery repair is unpredictable.

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take it back to the "professional" who "rebuilt" it.
    Did they give you a warranty? Longer than 3 months?

4. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would guess the inverter gave out, there is a recall that should cover it.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles on it?

UAE is is very hot, tough on the Prius hybrid?

6. wheezyglider

wheezyglider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You have an OBD tool -- instead of resetting it why not check what codes are current?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. ajithnit1

ajithnit1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for the replies. It is very hot now in UAE. Prius passed 204K miles. My OBD tool a cheaper one which I used just for resetting the check hybrid system error code before the hybrid battery was repaired. Right now I took the car back to the battery repair guy's shop.That guy went to home country for vacation. Another guy opened the cover, checked hybrid battery and shown on his multimeter each module voltage and voltage altogether. All modules volages were above 7.7 V and the complete HV battery voltage is 217V. Using his obd tool he told me that following codes are being received. P0A80, P0A94, U0293. He told he don't know much to explain. Right now car in his workshop. We have less hybrid experts in these part of UAE. Anyone have any suggestions. Please. Thank you.

Attached Files:

#7 ajithnit1, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  8. tony_2018

tony_2018 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would actually look at the code instead of resetting it. I know you're trying to get home but with these hybrids you don't want to chance it.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The codes are what matter. The combination of dash lights always tells less than people hope, because the dash warning lights come on in combination for very simple reasons (the ECUs in the car communicate with each other, and several will often light warning lights simply because they are aware of issues elsewhere). So the first order of business is reading the trouble codes.

In this case, P0A80 indicates an issue with the battery (an excessive voltage difference between blocks), while P0A94 indicates a problem with the DC/DC converter (a portion of the electronics found in the inverter/converter assembly under the hood). My guess is that the P0A94 is most likely what stopped the car with a jerk. In the US there was a warranty extension that could have applied in that situation (though I think a 2010 is already beyond that extension's coverage, even here).

Both of those codes are considered hybrid system issues, which get communicated to the brake ECU, which also controls the ABS and stability functions, which is why those warning lights are on.

The U0293 is an interesting code. It is a communication code, specifically about failure to communicate with the Power Management Control ECU. There are several ECUs in the car that all can report a U0293 codeā€”it always means the ECU in question isn't able to communicate with the Power Management Control ECU.

So for a U0293, it is useful to have a scan tool that not only shows that some ECU in the car has reported U0293, but that will show which ECU reported it, since finding a communication issue requires knowing who can't talk to whom.

(It is even possible for the Power Management Control ECU to report a U0293. Similar to the way the brake ECU handles the ECB, ABS, and VSC functions, the Power Management Control ECU is divided into two functional areas, hybrid control and electric power control, and it's apparently possible for it to raise the code for not communicating with itself!)

The Repair Manual explicitly says a U0293 prevents making the car READY, so you probably don't have the luxury of shrugging it off for later.