1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 prius = the rattle machine

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by airgas1998, Mar 10, 2011.

1. airgas1998

airgas1998 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: "prius" a true work of build quality crap!!

would have...one caveat though...mileage about 18mpg on average...

2. airgas1998

airgas1998 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

post a tsb rattlling one for me that covers my11

3. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Why don't you search and find one? Here, I'll even give you a head start
    Search. It would be a good idea to learn how to use the search feature. Maybe you'd be aware of the rattling beforehand if you did.

4. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Seriously AG.

Why not take it to the dealer. If the creaks and rattles are that pervasive, you should have no difficulty demonstrating them to the service advisor. Why not just make the dealership resolve the problems ?

I had an 08 RAV4 that I bought used certified about a year ago, and there was a terrible rattle near the windshield. They worked on that car for about 40 hours, and finally found that toyota had left a few clips in that should have been removed when they installed the windshield. I was patient and polite, and the issue was resolved. Ended up becoming good friends with the head service writer.

REV

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Not a whole lot to do in Iowa except watch corn grow, toss out sensitive ethnic names and rant.

2 people like this.
  6. airgas1998

airgas1998 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

no corn in ground yet...were just doing what your avatar shows. waiting for it to warm up.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

No doubt. As cold and wet as it is in California I can only imagine what you guys are dealing with. Late growing season for sure over here.

8. zerostudio

zerostudio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

If it wasn't for the 50 mpg - I would not touch a Prius - the quality is so poor - so cheaply made. Very over-priced car.

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Have you purchased a full-sized truck or Corvette in your lifetime? Talk about poor build quality for the price.:rolleyes:

10. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  11. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Regardless of very high MPGs, technology and low-emissions, you definitely need to sell your 2011 Prius. Buyers are standing in line to buy these rattle-traps. I'd rather see you unload this cheap P.O.S. then be unhappy. Life's too short forthe aggrevation. And remember, most people in the world can't afford food let alone a cool car like the Prius.

Does anyone listening want to trade titles for Zerostudio's poor quality, cheaply made, over-priced car?

Me thinks this poster is having some fun with the PriusChatters!:D

1 person likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Well, just to get drawn into a Troll Fest:

One thing that bugs me is the proliferation of fasteners that are near-impossible to remove without destroying them. The rear wheel well liners for example: they have some flat headed plastic fasteners near the back, holding a mud flappish piece. I'd like to get that liner out to check for grit accumulation, but those fasteners have thwarted me so far.

Ditto for the plastic rocker panel: I've not looked at it closely, the but the Repair manual shows a long row of non-reusable fasteners.

13. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Agree wholly. Those stupid fasteners are unfortunately not just on this car but on many vehicles. I have a multitude of snapped ones on a Mazda van. Lowes sells decent replacements in their isle with the hundreds of drawers that have screws and things, one should have car fasteners. Or autozone. I hate them, though. I think that the screw-type or similar are better than these little snappy ones.

1 person likes this.
  14. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Regarding fasteners ... it's not just Toyota ... it's all of them.

I wanted to replace a few of those fasteners on my RAV4 ... you know the ones that are worth about 4 cents ?? They were $2.17 each. I told them no thanks ... didn't need them.

If I ever saw them on a repair bill from Toyota, I'd tell them that I'm not paying for parts that a mechanic broke taking my car apart ... let him or Toyota pay for them.

REV

15. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Ironically, I've found that the tire selection for the car also plays into the rattle game. Since I put different, better tires on the car, I have very little rattle effect compared to what was originally on the car. Might be something to consider, also.

Otherwise, my only "noise" - outside from rain and a little road noise - is the creaking back seat at certain times (mostly backing into my driveway). It did rattle a bit more during the winter when it was really cold outside, but I also blame a little of that on the winter tires that I was using, too. I wonder if there's a better strut/shock absorber option that would alleviate this problem.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

The one in the rear wheel well that have me stumped have a flat, circular head, with a hole in the middle. In the hole I can see what appears to be 2 opposed tab heads. I've tried rocking them towards center with a pin while gently prying with a screw driver blade under the head (with pit lamp in teeth, LOL). It seems like one side releases, a bit, but so far no success.

Those fasteners are fit for the pit. If I ever do get them out, and just for pride I'd like to manage it without destroying them, I'd likely try to replace them with the less diabolical center push-in fasteners, if they'd work.

What bugs me is the rear wheel well has this liner. Likely a net plus, but I always like to check behind these sort of panels, to see if they're trapping gunk.

17. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Yeah, Lexus has no rattles...keep dreaming that dream...or better yet, go to a Lexus forum and see...plenty of rattles going on!

18. TheBlueWedge

TheBlueWedge New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I know this is a troll, but...

So far I have experienced very few rattles in my Prius. Granted, there are only about 700 miles on the odometer, but the only time I've noticed a dash rattle is when it is very cold (20F or so). Once the car warms up, it disappears.

I don't mind it. It's kind of like a soundtrack to accompany my shivering and cursing at the cold. ;)

19. airgas1998

airgas1998 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I love it how you guys think that if someone on here actually complains about the quality of the prius, he/she must be a troll. pardon me guys you're right my prius is the best car i have ever owned. not a single thing wrong with it that i can think of. sorry for posting such a falsifying issue.

so glad you can live with your minor annoyances, your right it does kind of blend in to the personality of the car doesn't it. heres your cookie...

20. luchinis

luchinis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

one think is complaining...another is ranting with multiple threads of the same "problem".