1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius timing cover leak not covered by pre-owned warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Amy Lauren, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Amy Lauren

Amy Lauren New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,

I bought my 2011 Prius as a pre-owned vehicle (came with 7 year, 100k mile warranty) in July 2015 with 1 owner, 66k miles, no accidents, above average maintenance history.

My first maintenance on it revealed a timing cover leak that I was assured would not be a problem for a few years. I was told now on my 90k mile maintenance that the timing cover will need to be fixed in 2019 for $2000...and that 7 year, 100k mile pre-owned vehicle warranty doesn't cover mechanical parts anymore (the timing cover is considered mechanical). The KBB value of my car is ~$8500.

I have $4000 left on the car's loan. I do not know the lifespan of the Prius battery as of now. The car needs no other work aside from $550 in fluid changes.

Any advice on whether to pay for the timing cover leak to be fixed as opposed to trading the car in would be appreciated. In my mind, it's hard to justify $2k worth of work on a vehicle whose KBB value is about 4x that, especially when the battery's lifespan could be coming to an end soon. All my maintenance has been done at Toyota dealerships.

I'm a grad student in my mid-20's so to trade in this car next year and get another car loan would be a major financial decision.

Not to mention, I feel SO ripped off by the caveats in the 7 year, 100k mile warranty. UGH.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and please slow way, way, way down.

you are being taken to the woodshed by the dealership.

1) you need a copy of the warranty to verify what is covered. is it a toyota warranty?

2) timing cover leaks are usually inconsequential, and you should get a second opinion. are there any aaa mechanics or hybrid shops in your area, or a trusted friend who is knowledgeable?

2b) is there any oil on the ground after you are parked overnight? do you know how to check your oil level, or can anyone help you?

3) the car does not need fluid changes until 120,000 miles, please read the maintenance schedule that came with it, or download one for free.

4) the battery will most likely be fine for many years.

5) if you intend to keep the car, you may want to change the tranny fluid: $120.

6) you should have the egr/intake circuit cleaned.

7) please save yourself a lot of pain and money, and take the good advice from experienced members here. all the best!(y)

8) there's a place called dave's performance hybrids that looks interesting.
    portland has more, is that too far?

#2 bisco, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:
    • How bad is the timing cover leak?
    • Is there a spot of oil under the car?
    • Any other mechanical issues?
    • Do you use anyone other than the dealer to perform the maintenance?
    • Have you gotten a second opinion?
    I’d monitor the timing cover and oil level rather than fork over the $$$;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Leak or seep?

If this a Toyota CPO warranty, leaks should be covered. Seeps are generally not. You may just have to wait until the condition is bad enough to be warranty-ed.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Amy Lauren

Amy Lauren New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi there,
    The leak is getting worse over time. I park on dark asphalt so I haven't seen any spots. No other mechanical issues to my knowledge. I have never used anyone other than the dealer to perform the maintenance but I have seen three dealers:
    1) Gatorland Toyota (Gainesville, FL) 2015-2016
    2) Toyota of Corvallis (Corvallis, OR) 2016-present
    3) Toyota Tri-Cities (Richland, WA) once in 2017 because I was driving through the area
    And they have all said the same thing about the timing cover leak: it's getting worse over time.

That is a good point. The issue has consistently been described to me as a leak, not a seep. But the Toyota dealership also said I'd have to wait for it to get to severe levels before any warranty would even consider covering it...before I contacted the warranty company found out that the mechanical coverage had expired...

#5 Amy Lauren, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2018
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    many peeps have seeps. not an issue.

put some white paper or cloth under the car after parking, i think they are trying to sell you some florida swampland.

Amy Lauren likes this.
  7. Amy Lauren

Amy Lauren New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II

1) The warranty was sold to me by the Toyota dealership in Gainesville, FL that I bought the car from. The warranty is through a company called Sublimity.

2) I have not considered that option! But I do have AAA.
    2b) I park on asphalt at home & work so I have not seen any oil.

3) Wow. It was explained to me that the fluid changes have to happen because the car was not ever given its 60k mile maintenance by the last owner.

4, 5, 6, 7) Thank you.

8) Portland is a bit far but it's worth the drive for the magnitude of this decision! I never even thought to consider taking my Prius to a hybrid-specific shop.

RMB and bisco like this.
  8. Amy Lauren

Amy Lauren New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,
    I contacted the warranty company. They explained that my 7year/100k mile warranty expired at the beginning of this year because "7 years" is defined from the model year of the vehicle (mine is a 2011 Prius) not from the purchase date.
    This was not explained to me at the time I bought the car. My only recourse is to fork over the $ for the repairs on a problem that this car was sold to me with or beg the dealership that sold the Prius to me to give me a credit toward the repairs.

9. Amy Lauren

Amy Lauren New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Also, I said earlier that the warranty company was named Sublimity. It is in fact Fidelity Warranty Services.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    won't hurt to beg the dealer, nothing to lose. either way, get it fixed before you run out of oil and blow the entire engine.

11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Go find the paperwork and check that it does say 7 years of car age. When car dealerships hussled me to get it, all of them said from the day I drive the car off the lot.

I will never buy extended warranty because most of them will do much as possible to claim that your lack of preventative maintaince caused the part to fail and deny any coverage. What's not in print won't be covered, even if it says manufacture defect. And you can always buy extended warranty anytime after purchasing any vehicle.

RMB likes this.