1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius Two - EBH OR Grill Blocking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by itengineer, Nov 16, 2011.

1. itengineer

itengineer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All,

I've got a 2011 Prius Two. Live in Minneapolis where the temps in Dec/Jan/Feb are going to be 30F or less day and night.

Need to know which one is better the engine block heater OR grill blocking ?

2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    probably both.

grill blocking is extremely easy, so do it right away. Costs ~2$ on foam, and ~10min cutting/installing.

The heater is 60$ but will require a couple hours to install (I wish I did it together with STB when it was all accessible).

Our temps are still in 50s, 30s in the morning. Blocking cut morning heating time ~1/3. There are improvements on consumption in 0-5min range, and 5-10min range is almost on par with the rest of the drive.

Using heater would help me as first 1.5mi are in 25MPH speed zone so it would be mostly electric if engine were warm. But it would not have much overall impact as my drive is ~1/2hr. On back trip heater is less useless as speed limit is 55 off the bat. Also heater would improve avg for short drives.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both, they compliment one another quite nicely. Grill blocking is dirt cheap. The EBH costs $40 and is a bit harder to install (but not that hard) and you have to be able to plug in and remember to plug in, and remember to unplug. But it's hard to beat the advantages a prewarmed engine gives you on a cold morning or after a cold soak.

4. itengineer

itengineer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi cyclopathic, What was the pipe size that appears to be the best fit for the 2011 prius? Also, just the lower grill, leaving the upper one open, correct?

5. itengineer

itengineer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hi efusco, I take it this is a DIY project.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    definately a DIY--do a search here on PC and elsewhere for plenty of how-to and step by step instructions. If you're still hesitant I bet you can find someone in the Minneapolis area to help you out (John1701a for instance).

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Both.

I think mine's a 1/2" foam pipe insulator. I keep forgetting.

I only block the lower air dam. You can block up to 50% of the top but do not block 100% of the top.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Most definitely go for the block. I have and MPG is still holding above 50... but not for long. It's 26°F at the moment and falling. :eek: