1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius Two - I need advice And opinions on Mechanic quote

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dragonfly1993, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Dragonfly1993

Dragonfly1993 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This forum has been awesome. Reading through all the posts and watching videos referenced has taught me so much about my 2011 Prius Two. It is a recent purchase and I thought I was familiar enough to inspect the car before purchasing. To my defense the deal was good and when things are sound too good to be sometimes it is... My last purchase was too good to be true and has been excellent and the one before that.... with that said, I don't need to be told I should have had it inspected by a mechanic before I bought it, please. I've never had an issue with getting it wrong before and this is the 8th vehicle I've bought over the past 23 years. I research and maintain my vehicles and never had a "lemon" but honestly I think "lemons" get created later in the life of the car from poor maintenance. And some years are just bad in some models straight out of the factory. But that aside

I have an engine knock. Found a very highly recommended Prius private mechanic and I'm having a misfire that is creating my knock. BTW, he found the oil over filled and explained how that can spit that excess oil at the spark plug... if I'm not wording it exactly correct please forgive me. He recommended that the EGR & intake be cleaned, tune it up and replace the sparks plugs, replace both air filters, then an oil change. I believe watching all the videos and reading all the DIY instructions that I could to the work and install an oil can while everything is apart.... but I really don't have the spare time and don't want to be without a car for an extended period of time.

And my question is do ya'll think $850 is a reasonable price?

Now issue two, the mechanic didn't pressure or push this but gave me this information as the next priority for service I need to do and through the forums I haven't read anything much about brake problems, specialty rotors. Someone just put on new brake pads but didn't turn the scratched up rotors. Also they just replaced the brake actuator and pump. He suggested I replace the rotors with a specialty rotor that he loves. I didn't get the name but he showed them to me and I'd describe them as rotors drilled with holes and a few grooves. He quoted new specialty rotors with a flush for $450. This seems high to me.

So all frank and kind opinions very welcomed and TIA :)

#1 Dragonfly1993, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Just get the egr done

Dragonfly1993 likes this.
  3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Without mileage driven and test drive, easy to figure that one- no buy.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    how many miles on her?

sounds like a good mech, at least he knows about the egr. however, i would make sure the head gasket is in good shape first, then proceed with his recommendations.

the price is excellent, imo.

all the best!(y)

5. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You don’t need the slot and drilled rotors, it’s a Prius, not a performance car. Also, slotted rotors can’t be cut/turn if it causes pulsation from uneven wear.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, did I miss it, or is the mileage not given? (I just skimmed, too wordy) That said, I think cleaning the EGR now is not going to fix an engine already showing knock: head gasket failing?

7. Dragonfly1993

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you all!

Her mileage is 115k

Maybe I shouldn't say knocking.

I think it's loud but recreating it for other mechanics to get second opinions. It's more like a misfire vibration when the combustion engine comes on. To me, too loud and not okay to ignore.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Agree. When prospective buyers don’t bring up miles already driven, their concern is passed on that. You just hope the best outcome for them.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Dragonfly1993

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    BTW everyone I actually think my Hubby and I with the help from this site and the amazing videos posted by @NutzAboutBolts are going to DIY and do the cleaning and maintenance and install an OCC

My list so far is clean PCV, EGR, Intake manifold and throttle body. Change spark plugs and coils, oil change, cabin and engine air filters, engine and inverter coolant and install the OCC.

We have the luxury of having the car apart and protected and we figure while we have it apart to do everything we can think of that might be past due or about due.

Please add anything to my list I have missed. Thanks ya'll!!!

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  10. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You don’t need to replace the coils unless it goes bad, they’re not a maintenance items you replace.

Dragonfly1993 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Put some 1/4" mesh (rodent resistant) over the cabin air intake if you're ambitious, while it's opened up. About 4 sheet metal screws will secure it.

I put similar mesh at the end of the engine air intake snorkel, because I've heard they can set up residence in the box below the air filter.

Some links and info:

The simplest way to see where you're at, is to check the degree of carbon build up in the EGR pipe, a stainless steel connecting pipe between the EGR valve and intake manifold. Watch @NutzAboutBolts video #16 here:

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

Two or three other videos linked there too, for the full cleaning of the intake manifold, full EGR clean, and Oil Catch Can install.

Good thread:

EGR & Intake Manifold Clean Results | PriusChat

Another:

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock! | PriusChat

Some tools worth having:

E8 Torx socket (mandatory)
    E6 Torx socket (optional, but good to have, to remove the throttle body studs from intake manifold)
    3/8" ratchet wrench, regular and long handle, flex head, you can never have enough (or 1/2 plus reducer)
    1/4" ratchet wrench, or 3/8" to 1/4" reducer
    Ratchet extensions: you can never have enough
    Long needle nose piers, straight and bent tip
    Ratcheting 12mm box wrench (optional, but makes disconnection of the EGR cooler from exhaust easier)
    Torque wrench (3/8" and 1/4" both good to have)
    Floor jack and safety stands (or ramps): basically some method to raise front, if you need to take underpanel off, which you may need to, both for access and to recover dropped items.

NutzAboutBolts and RMB like this.
  12. Dragonfly1993

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  13. Dragonfly1993

Vehicle: