1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius, typical problems, thinking of replacing engine

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by maurakl, Mar 13, 2019.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yep.

2. spiralhelix

spiralhelix Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’m right there with ya. That is dealer pricing and Lexus to boot. We figured it would be more expensive and a friend that owns a shop said he could have done it for much less but without the warranty. Logistically it was gonna end up costing us just a little more to leave it at the dealer after towing it and paying the Dx fee. I was in the process of working on it before my wife just took it to the dealer, but she did it without telling me. Plus we really just needed to get it done as both of us commute to work. We were kinda rushed into a decision.

iPhone ?

3. spiralhelix

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    at least I have the old one to work on.
    IMG_2741.jpg IMG_2799.jpg IMG_2800.jpg IMG_2807.jpg

iPhone ?

4. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It’s obvious that cylinder 1 was the coolant burner. In my media, I have the picture of my fractured number one piston, and the resulting hole in the the block from when mine self destructed. I do have to say that the longer I drive mine, the better the engine seems to run. I didn’t really “beat” on it when I first got it, because it had a slight tap, that I believe to have been a bent rod on cylinder one. But I have surprised my fair share of drivers stoplight to stoplight.

5. spiralhelix

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did a quick valve leak test and have an intake leak on 2, and an exhaust leak on 1 (havent posted the videos yet). Jury is still out on the rod being bent. I ran out of time getting the lower end pulled, hopefully this weekend. Dealer said there was a bunch of metal in the oil, but so far I haven’t seen any (not even a small fragment on in the oil pan when I pulled it). Cylinder walls don’t show any scarring either.

iPhone ?

6. Jean Faudree

Jean Faudree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2011 Prius has 207k and just found after a pressure test the head gasket is blown. After several weeks of knocking and rattling, that’s the culprit. The temperature light came on one time. I added half a gallon of coolant. Anyway. Dealership said it’s better to swap out the engine with used one. I’m a courier and need the car for mileage. Any suggestions as to what year engine to look for!?

7. Jean Faudree

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

8. Jean Faudree

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I found a true died in the wool Prius mechanic. I’m stoked! He found a couple used late model 15 & 16 engines with 2k and 20k miles on them. I never would have thought I’d be switching engines on a hybrid. But, it’s better than the alternatives. So. All those rattles and shakes and misses under the hood..is most likely a blown head gasket. First I had the fuel injectors cleaned a couple weeks ago..thinking that was the problem. My new found Prius mechanic told me that third Gen Prius’ are notorious for blowing head gaskets between 200k and 240k miles.

The dealership charged me $262 for a two hour diagnostic!!! They also wanted $5900 to swap a used engine that has 74k on it. Do they think I was born yesterday?!?!? Eye roll. So my

9. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I swapped in my own 2016 engine into my 2010. I have 1800 + or - in my swap and it’s doing beautifully. Trust your mechanic. And let him swap the newer engine in there.

Jean Faudree likes this.
  10. Jean Faudree

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  11. maurakl

maurakl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am still debating what to do here. People are telling me I am crazy for putting a new engine in a car with 230,000 miles on it. Am I crazy? If I do put a new engine in this 2011 Prius, will everything else start breaking? I am looking at a new engine and a new intake manifold and a new EGR. It will not be cheap, but it will be new. It will be cheaper than a new car and my car will hopefully still have a lot of miles left in it when it is finally paid off in about 14 months. I looked at a used 2017 and the interior was ugly and I would be losing a lot of storage that I use all the time. And of course I would be paying for it for another five years. Sigh. I hate this whole thing. Am I crazy? Would the rest of the car last me another 200,000 miles?

12. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is a crystal ball question. Do you live in a corrosive state with harsh winters? What condition is the frame in. I live in Ohio and the body is still in excellent shape with 130k. If I had to replace engine it would be tough call simply because I know within the next few years the traction battery will need to be replaced. At some point you have to decide if you are being “penny wise and pound foolish.”

13. spiralhelix

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You aren't crazy if you decide to do it only because we just did it with a 2012 Lexus CT, and would then mean I'm crazy ;)

My wife made the ultimate call because any other option would have resulted in a car payment (big no no with her), but we could have gotten a new Subaru Impreza for a few thousand more. It would have had more room and a roof rack for the cargo box. But i digress...

Before our engine issues, i was completely sold on doing a newer engine as the rest of the car was in pretty darn good shape. I would say the only big ticket item you risk by doing this repair is a possible transmission (though, i don't see anything on the forums with people having tranny problems). All other stuff is stuff that could happen regardless of the car. High mileage you can be looking at potential wheel bearings (easy to change btw), struts (pricey but straight forward), traction battery (sure looks easy to change out and not the worst price). Tires, brakes, and fluid changes i don't consider to be deal breakers ever. Also, I do the work myself, so no additional labor costs involved. If you have to pay someone to do those things, it changes perspectives. consider the shape of the interior too. Are the seats holding up well?

If you do the swap, keep the old egr and intake manifold (even if it costs you a few bucks in core charges). Then clean them. When the "new" ones get clogged/dirty, swap in the cleaned ones and your back on the road, then you can take your time to clean the now dirty ones. Those parts really don't go "bad", just dirty. so no sense in buying new. Our "new" salvaged engine came with those parts included since they weren't itemized which worked perfectly so i have swappable parts now. Heck, even try to keep the old engine if the heads/block isn't cracked. Then you have those parts available as well.

14. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Some of the time, vendors like LKQ don’t charge a core charge, and the invoice even says that the engine (for example) may include ancillary items that are not itemized on the invoice, are not covered under the warranty, and are included for customer convenience only.

The yard I got my engine from didn’t charge a core, and I saved most of my old sensors and just used what came on the new one.

15. spiralhelix

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    yeah, it was crazy. I told the dealer i wanted the old engine and they kept telling me there was a core charge. push came to shove and they finally told me the core charge for the engine (i'm thinking $400-600) was $45!!!!!!!!! Geez, i want the freaking engine dudes!! and at $45 (after a $$$$ bill), you'd think they would just wave that amount. NOPE. but either way, I got all those good working parts for cheap!

16. maurakl

maurakl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will be paying someone to do the engine work. I am afraid to get a used engine because how do I know what kind of shape it is in and there aren't any anywhere close to us at the moment. So, this would be a big expense, unfortunately. I agree, I do NOT want a payment forever. The interior is in really good shape, leather and no stains or rips. Dash etc are all in good shape, too. This would cost me over a year's worth of payments, but then after that, the car would FINALLY be paid off and with a new engine. We looked at a 2017 at the dealer and it was blue, which I liked, but I didn't really like anything else about the inside. I haven't once said to myself, I hope I can get that new one. I haven't been thinking that I wish I had the new features or anything at all. I really like my car inside and out, The only part I don't like is that it isn't paid off and is having these issues.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How much is new engine, intake manifold and EGR setting you back? $8K? Plus at least $1K install?

Can you even get an engine?? This is pretty much the official Toyota parts site, saying "not available":

2010 Toyota Prius Hatchback HYBRID Engine assembly, partial - 1900037460 - Genuine Toyota Part

Here's one engine available, searching for 1900037460:

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-engine-assy-partial~19000-37460.html

$8761

Plus $500~600 for the EGR, and around $250,

You'll be over $10K for just parts.

#57 Mendel Leisk, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  18. maurakl

maurakl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The price we have been given is about $5800 including labor and a one year warranty. That is with a new EGR and new intake manifold.

Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And a brand new engine? That is excellent. Only, I'd be very suspicious of that "new" engine. In for a penny, in for a pound: same might apply to the "new" egr and intake manifolds...

People have been charged $4500 for head gasket replacement. That was a very thorough job, including new hydraulic lifters, and various other items, but still.

20. maurakl

maurakl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow! This amount is from our dealer and as far as I know that includes everything new and labor. I feel better after you saying this is a decent deal.