1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius, typical problems, thinking of replacing engine

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by maurakl, Mar 13, 2019.

1. maurakl

maurakl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you! I am getting a new EGR with this deal and I have mentioned the OCC. Of course, the dealer thinks I am crazy. I could get a local mechanic to put one on though. We will have the old one, along with the old intake manifold after the new ones get put on. It will be interesting to see them. The dealer also acted like they never heard of cleaning those things. So, I guess we will have the old ones that we can clean in case we need them later? Thanks for the links, too!

Bay Stater, mjoo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. spiralhelix

spiralhelix Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dealer reacted the same way with us. I posted pics of my dirty a$$ cooler and valve somewhere on this site and they were BAD.

The idea of keeping to old parts is so you can clean them and have them ready to swap out at 50k miles. Then clean the next set and have it ready for the next swap. That way you don’t have down time while cleaning parts.

-Spiral

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah welcome to the asylum, lol.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At least us inmates are educated (y).

5. capolihu

capolihu Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in the same boat now, and wished to know a mechanic who does such replacement for reasonable price around Utah or 1k mile radius :))

FnRedPrius likes this.
  6. maurakl

maurakl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to hear that. I know this may not sound reasonable at $6000, but I am hoping it will be like a new car!

Bay Stater likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It will be the same car with a like-new engine. That's a big plus, but still, the rest of the car is what it is. @Ragingfit makes a sage comment, at 13:00:

8. FnRedPrius

FnRedPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your profile says DC, but you mentioned Utah. I'm about 3.5-4 hours below DC. My engine was $1600 out of a wrecked 2016 with 5810 miles. I went and picked it up, bought a new engine hoist and stand, and still less than $2500 for the whole shebang.

Ragingfit, Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. capolihu

capolihu Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hasn't updated yet my profile.
    $2500, but still need you someone to swap right?

10. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    When I have a vehicle with a critical fault that still runs it’s almost always cheaper to not touch a thing and just modify oil changes and maintanence behavior and run it into the ground.

You can still buy a lot of gas for $6000

Ragingfit and mikey_t like this.
  11. maurakl

maurakl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think I had run it into the ground. For me, as a non mechanic, who has to rely on others to fix my cars, when I am afraid to drive it is when I make a decision about keeping it and fixing it, or getting something different. I'm feeling good about my decision so far!

Ragingfit and Bay Stater like this.
  12. FnRedPrius

FnRedPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No, $1600 for engine, about $300 for engine hoist and stand (Northern Tools), $55 for gas to go get, 4 cans of Brake Kleen, $5 exhaust gasket, $21 for coolant, $70 for torque wrench, @ $12 for anti seize and di-electric grease, and maybe a few other odds and ends and I did the swap.

SFO, Ragingfit and Bay Stater like this.
  13. capolihu

capolihu Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, maybe I did not emphasize that I do not have a garage neither expertise for such task :) Also not sure where to find some to do the job with confidence here around..

14. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Where in Utah are you located?

I know Maxat here in the Northern California region does the engine swaps and the head gasket job.

Not sure on pricing though.

15. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maxat quoted me $2k for the head gasket only (no resurfacing of the cylinder head).

RMB and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. maurakl

maurakl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, I am now in need of replacing my car. I don't even know what is wrong with it now. I am close to 330,000 miles on it and yes, the original battery. Everyone asks me that. We had to replace the water pump and put an aftermarket catalytic converter on it, but I think that is it. We had a weird thing happen to it also. Some hose blew off of whatever it was connected to, so the engine was not able to get gas to run. It took the dealer a week and a half to figure that one out! I thought that was what happened again, but the local mechanic has no idea what is wrong with it. Said it may need a new drive axle? drive train?? I have no idea. He said it would probably be very expensive. He said it was not a disconnected hose, which is what I was hoping for. So, in the end, I got four more years out of my car and about 100,000 miles more. So, it was worth it, in my view. Less than a car payment and I was able to keep the car I loved. New question, do I need to look for a 2015 or newer to avoid the oil consumption issue, or 2012 or newer? Are there other years to avoid? Also, is it worth trying to sell my car for parts? Since the engine only has 100,000 miles on it?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you want a '14 or '15. if a '14, it has to have a vin ending after the one in my sig for updated rings and pistons.
    unfortunately, we don't know yet if that is the solution, but at least it should be better.
    if you can swing a '16, (gen 4) that would be best.

18. maurakl

maurakl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thank you so much for your reply! As it turns out, it was the PCV hose again. So it has been repaired again. My "regular" battery also died. It was from 2014! The guy that fixed it said he had never seen one last that long! I found a new wonderful person to work on my Prius. I have confidence in him and his knowledge and work. I am soooo relieved to find someone since I can't do it all myself like so many of you guys!

bisco likes this.
  19. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Unfortunately some guys can't find a loose hose even when you tell them to look for it. A pcv hose is hard to see without taking off the intake manifold but an up to date shop has a borescope (eg a camera on a flexible cable) to inspect. Hopefully they replaced the $10 pcv valve which likely clogged causing the pressure to build.

Bisco, that vin sequence code is only good for a plugin from 2014.

Prius 2014 Vin Production Change.jpeg

If the Op wants a newer car they should get a 2016 or newer gen4 (excluding the 16-17 v wagon). There are more problems than just rings in a gen3. But the Op would have the better pistons and rings in their rebuilt engine so staying with it is far better than chancing another unknown gen3.

#99 rjparker, May 20, 2023
    Last edited: May 20, 2023
  20. maurakl

maurakl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you, also! I do feel like I should have better pistons and rings in the new engine I had installed. It sounds like I have already done the major repairs / maintenance things of the engine (even if I could have done without it maybe), water pump and EGR thing. I had a new one when I got the engine. So, I'm feeling pretty good keeping this car which I love. I just really can't afford a newer one and the stress of trying to find one is a lot. So, I am again delighted to keep my car!

What are the other problems you see in the gen3?