1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius water damage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by YasirArafath, Dec 10, 2020.

1. YasirArafath

YasirArafath New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    I just bought a 183k used 2011 prius two weeks back and took it for a vallet in local car wash yesterday. Car was smooth driving, no engine problem, even got it checked in my regular garage. When I went to pick up found the heater was on full burst. The car was very low on fuel. The battery charge indicator in dashboard was gone and replaced by check hybrid system message and once strated driving within 2 minutes- Master warning light, slip indicator, break system warning was on. When I did put the car on Drive, back of the car shaked a lot. Now the car switches on after two attempts and shakes. Later the owner of the vallet service said one worked cleaned the trunk of the car using jet water spray or shampoo. I found lots water under the 12 volt battery. I drove the car for 20 minutes and at high speed it is fine but I have a feeling prius main battery is not supplying any power. Any advice? How much it will cost to change the hybrid system? Is there water inside the hybrid battery?

Attached Files:

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    that’s one hell of expensive car wash. New hv battery will run you a few grand.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For some value of 'you'.

It might not turn into a whole new battery. But if it were my car, all the rear carpet and decking would be out right now, and the rubber body plugs in any place water had accumulated, and there would be some fans going.

After that ... careful inspection.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From what you've written, the car wash place had the trunk open and allowed water in.
    So they are liable for any damage there mistake caused.

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What if car owner needs to show proof that trunk was dry before taking it in for cash wash?

just saying because if you get tire rotation at those tire shops and they scrub the side of car, they want proof that there wasn’t the scrub before handing keys over. That’s when you want to do a full video circle walk around the car and photograph the exterior of car before getting tire rotation or any work on the car. That’s my practice.

#5 Grit, Dec 10, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    MexicanChip likes this.
  6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's what I do.
    I don't argue with them anymore. Not worth my time or effort.
    I ask them how they want to pay for the damage.
    If they will pay outright, fine. If not, I "acquire" merchandise, give it to a friend,
    and they sell it, take there cut, and I get mine. If it's enough, fine. If not,
    I repeat.
    Less pain, stress, wasted time....

7. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That's why no-one works on my car except the Toyota dealer. Most everything else, excepting buying tires, I do myself/

I don't let anyone connect anything to the 12 volt battery.

scona and MexicanChip like this.
  8. Abarnabe

Abarnabe Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had the same water leak inear the 12 v battery, it was coming from the right tail light and I stopped it by applying some silicon to the grommets where you insert the tsil light assebly. Judging from the picture water is there for very long, it' s a old leak. What could have caused the check hybrid system error could also be some weater entered the inverter, have you checked the error with techstream?