1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius - Windshield triples light source images

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by srevelation, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thread stickied for a while.

And pertaining to the thread, neither my 2010 nor my 2012 PiP has had this issue.

2. phvdriv3r

phvdriv3r Defender of the Glass - Lemon-ed a 2012 PHV

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're interested to see how this can really look, have a look at this image set - These were taken last night on a whim. These pics demonstrate how this can look on an average basis and the issue can be far worse in various cases. I have many more I'll be taking and plan to get a 1080p video of it tonight if possible.

Three images, the left side is the windshield view, the right side is the outside view.

Taken with a new, fresh out of the box Canon Rebel T2i DSLR. My other cameras take similar pics, just not with 18 MP resolution. :p inside-outside-comparison.png Use of this image is permissible under Creative Commons {Attribution-NoDerivs CC BY-ND}.

I've reported it to NHTSA and haven't heard anything - Toyota hasn't been much help either. Here's what the issue looks like to most of us, but not all... its definitely a problem. inside-outside-comparison.png

F8L likes this.
  3. attyjeff

attyjeff Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  4. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just checked my Partner's 2007 Mustang tonight when we went out to dinner. It has the same thing going on. The Mustang's isn't as pronounced as my Prius though.

5. phvdriv3r

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have some videos up on YouTube now, each shows the issue in different environments. Sorry for the shakiness - it was filmed with a DSLR, however you can bump it to 1080p for best viewing.

The last video shows the issue best as there is lower light noise from environmental sources. If the video was clearer, you would actually be able to see the light copied 5x above and below...

Pictures taken and description attached (either inside or outside view) - in order here: 2011-2013 Prius Windshield - Imgur

Get the full res version and zoom in to see the issue properly. Wish I had a real zoom lens... base DSLR lenses can only do so much :p

Videos of the issue: Part 4 has the best view of the problem with oncoming headlights.

Lots of people have posted to the spreadsheet and we're looking for more. Those of you with AND without the issue are encouraged to post the info. We're also now looking for the info from the windshield itself to see if we can find a trend/pattern too.

Go here to add your info!

Google Docs Spreadsheet!

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That looks like me driving without my glasses :) I wouldn't settle for anything other than it gets new clear glass. Go aftermarket if you have to. My '12 Four is perfectly clear. If mine looked like your's I couldn't drive without getting headaches.

Mike

What are you supposed to do when it rains at night, close your eye's and hope for the best?

Mike

7. KarPrius

KarPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Amit,

What is the latest on this issue? I went through the same treatment and the last thing that Toyota left me with was to go to arbitration. Given how one sided those are, I did not pursue it any further. I see some of the folks have started to put together a spreadsheet of cars with issues, not sure if that was ur effort, but if you have not got on that one, you may want to. Any response yet from NHSTA? That is one thing I have not done yet, but if something came out of it for you, I will do so too. Look forward to your response.

Thanks

8. phvdriv3r

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi-

I started the spreadsheet and have been taking most of these actions further, haven't heard anything from Amit in a while now. He may have pursued some sort of action and may be tied up under an NDA. There are videos and pictures documenting all of this information, NHTSA has not responded period.

At this point, it would be best to either get a lemon law lawyer or pursue arbitration on your own. Arbitration is however, a farce being that its paid for by the auto companies and is (in my experiences) run by moronic arbitrators. The only good you'll see is only for yourself and everyone else affected will still have the problem. Remember also, you need at least two documented attempts for this issue (being that it is a clear safety hazard that could cause serious injury or death).

Seriously though, until enough people push this on Toyota, they WILL NOT act. Until it starts costing Toyota money (in legal fees/etc), they WILL NOT act.

9. KarPrius

KarPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi phvdriv3r,

Thank you for your efforts with the spreadsheet. I have added my car details to the list. What is the expectation one has to keep about NHSTA doing anything on a complaint? Are they legally bound to respond or is it just one other bucket where things go to die? I have not done any complaining to NHSTA, if there is any value to it, let me know and I shall pursue that angle too. Hope something good comes out of this list.

Thanks

10. phvdriv3r

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE report to NHTSA if you're affected. They say they'll respond but I have never had it happen yet. There is definitely value... if they get bombarded with complaints, they'll be compelled to open a formal investigation. There are other auto safety orgs and legal entities that monitor those reports and also request NHTSA to investigate complaints. If we want this to get fixed, we need to raise awareness and be LOUD about it.

Also, an investigative news report on the issue will hopefully be breaking soon... hopefully that will cause the issue to blow up nationally.

New update - a producer at ABC is looking into this issue deeply. For those that have the problem, if you could PLEASE fill out your car data on this spreadsheet: Welcome to Google Docs

Those with AND without the issue should post to the sheet! We need to see both sides of it.​

The latest from the producer is that he is working with a glass expert to determine the cause and what supplier, etc may be responsible. If you can also obtain the glass data (in the corner of the windshield closest to the VIN), that would be awesome.​

11. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Given a windshield with multiple layers of dissimilar materials and given the increased angle of the windshield (as contrasted with the side windows which at near vertical and of different materials) why would you not expect to see a prismatic bending and diffusion of different wave lengths? You can still see the object, can't you so it isn't like it is a safety issue.

12. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the issue is some of our cars have glass that is clear as a bell and others have this very distorted glass.

Mike

13. phvdriv3r

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually it is a safety issue - If you had this issue with your vehicle and subsequently realized that you CANNOT see what is behind the ghosted light images, you too would realize the severity of this issue. I love your attempt to throw scientific wording at our issue as if you know precisely what you're talking about. Amusing. Anyways, this kind of trolling really needs to stop. Unless you have something productive to say, I would suggest you butt out.

14. GrumpyDave

GrumpyDave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Chiming in. I bought a 2013 Three last week. I've only driven at night twice now but immediately noticed severe ghosting above and below the very first time. It's very distracting and as mentioned it's difficult to see what's actually out there behind the reflections. I'll be contacting my dealer who, as it happened, sent me an email asking how everything is. I'll also be contacting Toyota and the NHTSA. I just completely stumbled on this thread and wasn't looking for it at all.

Just went for a quick drive to verify what I see since I had forgotten about it until I stumbled on this thread. I definitely have ghosting. From a distance cars look like they have a second set of lights on their roof and another at the bottom of their bumper. They converge somewhat as the car gets closer. Even the moon has two twins tonight!

[​IMG]

phvdriv3r likes this.
  15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's pathetic. I'd be in the dealer the next day asking for a new windshield :( Wish you luck and please keep us updated on what they do or refuse to do. Also note the dealers name so others can decide if they want to use that dealer in the future.

Mike

16. phvdriv3r

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone - To those that posted in my Google Document, thank you!

To those that have not posted, if you could it would be wonderful. We need people with AND without the issue. The information needed is only a part of your VIN and the info from your windshield.

As an update, a major news agency is going to break this story very soon. The Producer I am working with is asking that anyone that might have filled out their data on this spreadsheet please go back in and add the information from your windshield. This will aid our investigation greatly.

The additional info needed is in the lower drivers-side corner of the windshield. This will help us narrow down the plant/design responsible for the issues.

Thank you again! We're slowly getting there and hopefully soon, we'll get the response and fix we need.

Link to Spreadsheet: Welcome to Google Docs

17. phvdriv3r

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone - To those unaware of the issue surrounding the 3rd Gen 2011+ Prius and Prius Plug-In, we are tracking and trying to get Toyota to resolve an issue with the windshield. The original topic is here: 2011 Prius - Windshield triples light source images | PriusChat

As an update, a major news agency is going to break this story very soon. The producer I am working with is asking that anyone with this car please provide some information regarding the car... the info necessary is listed on the spreadsheet linked below. If you have already provided the info, please be sure to have added the windshield info, if you have not already. The news agency is working with a glass expert to help with the investigation.

We need both people with AND without the issue to post so we can compel Toyota to take this matter seriously. If you remember back in 2010, we had to deal with another issue Toyota initially ignored (the braking issue). It was users from this forum (and NHTSA complaints) that helped compel Toyota to take action. Please help with this effort again.

The info needed is in the lower drivers-side corner of the windshield. We need part of the VIN and the data from the windshield. This will help us narrow down the plant/design responsible for the issues we have found.

Thank you again!

Link to Spreadsheet: Welcome to Google Docs

18. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I added my information. I have no idea what the last column of information is.

19. phvdriv3r

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am removing it- It was from a time when we suspected that a specific Prius plant was responsible. That theory has since been dropped.

20. GrumpyDave

GrumpyDave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've got an appointment to see a Toyota rep about this issue on Tuesday. They were actually smart enough to schedule it in the evening after dark so that's a good sign!