1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius - Windshield triples light source images

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by srevelation, Nov 11, 2011.

1. phvdriv3r

phvdriv3r Defender of the Glass - Lemon-ed a 2012 PHV

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I may have good/bad news on this tonight. Toyota has taken my complaining seriously enough that they went back to the glass manufacturer with all the data they gathered and the data I've sent them and they claim to have apparently redesigned the windshield to deal with the refraction. I also heard straight from a reliable source that the body DID NOT change for the 2011-2013s, so the theory/excuse they initially had as to why the 10s didn't have this and the 11s+ did, is officially dead.

A new windshield fresh from Japan arrived yesterday and its being installed and tested today. If it works, maybe a TSB will soon follow...? if it doesn't... its back to the drawing board? More to come later this evening.

F8L, Blu-ray and WE0H like this.
  2. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

3. phvdriv3r

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So - the repair resulted in a sort of slight improvement over what I was seeing, but this is still not a valid fix. I'm now seeing what I was seeing in some cars, where the issue varies on where you're looking through the windshield. In my case, its more of a problem on the right side of my field of vision. This means that one eye has the issue and the other does not, or does in a totally different way (which can equal a really weird looking light when the two eyes attempt to combine the image into one... At one point it looked like a mickey mouse head). Most of the test driving was during dusk, so it definitely appeared better until it was really dark. Can still see things like before.

A major downside is that the car is very noisy now, especially during acceleration and freeway speeds... it sounds like there is a break in the windshield seal or something did not get installed/reinstalled properly. :(

4. GrumpyDave

GrumpyDave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Damn. I had high hopes for a real solution. Too bad about the increased noise too. That's why I'm a little hesitant to push this to the obvious conclusion of a new windshield unless I can be absolutely certain it'll fix the visual problems.

5. Blu-ray

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the update. I wonder if they made a windshield without the sound deadening film and that is what they installed on your car.

6. phvdriv3r

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about that sound deadening film... There was no info on what precisely changed (if anything) on the windshield.

The sound I am hearing is coming from the area around the upper right corner of the dash. It sounds like there is a break in the seal or there's a hole in the firewall of the car where engine noise and wind noise is flowing through. Apart from that, the car does not seem more noisy as a whole (if there was a change in whatever noise deadening film may or may not exist), its just really loud coming from that one area. I can even capture it with a mic and you can hear a huge difference when comparing the sound at your ear vs the noisy spot. Only way NOT to hear it is with the radio up louder than I would normally listen to it at. :(

7. Erisgen

Erisgen New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2013 Prius Two and have the very same complaint

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hopefully there will be a recall and get these defective windshields replaced.

Mike

9. phvdriv3r

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Get in touch with your local dealer ASAP - the longer you sit on it, the longer it will be before anything happens.

Toyota claims that they only have SEVEN reports of this from owners nationwide (really???). If any of you affected have not yet, please report the problem to the dealership and then to Toyota's hotline at 1-800-331-4331. Take your car there to be inspected and demand a loaner vehicle while they have it... you're well within your rights to do so. A fix isn't going to occur unless more of you complain. A complaint to NHTSA will also help as well!

Also, if you end up going the lemon law route, most states do a mileage deduction from the date you first report it... so report it soon and save yourself the loss.

10. Blu-ray

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just so you all know, I was looking around and noticed we are not the only ones who have an issue with lighting in the windshield.

2011 Camaro

2011 Camaro Windshield Optical Distortion - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

2013 Porsche Cayenne

Double vision in windshield - 6speedonline.com Forums

2006 Toyota 4Runner

2006 Windshield - double vision - Toyota 4Runner Forum

2013 Highlander

2013 Highlander Windshield Night Vision Issues - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

I saw a couple things in regards to Jaguar and Range Rover with heated windshields but those were due to heating elements so I figured I would not include those.

11. phvdriv3r

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    According to one of the docs I have from Toyota, the Highlander may be an issue as well - They actually told me that they knew of the problem with some Highlanders :p

Would be nice if the USDOT would add a requirement regarding refraction in windshields. That would force glass manufacturers to actually make optically clear glass that must meet a specific refractive index.

12. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I reported it to my dealer a couple of months ago, but haven't had time to drop off the car. My car is scheduled for its 5K mile service next week and the windshield is on the service ticket.

13. GrumpyDave

GrumpyDave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just got back from my meeting with a Toyota rep. I met with him and another service technician guy whose title I can't remember. This was a "fact finding" meeting for them as they'd never hear of this issue before. [​IMG]

First we took a drive in my car. The technician was in front and the rep in back. The technician said he could plainly see the issue. He had a camera with him and was trying to take pictures and/or video as we drove. The rep was a little less forthcoming but did eventually say he was seeing it too.

Then we grabbed another Prius and went for a drive. Same issue! [​IMG] I was really hoping the other car wouldn't show it as then there would be hope for a solution. We didn't try any other Prii though. I'm thinking I should go back tomorrow night and "browse" the other Prii on the lot. The reflections are noticeable just looking up at the overhead lamp posts.

Finally, we parked the other car at the far end of the garage with the brakes on, turned all lights out so it was dark, and pointed my car at it. The ghosting was just visible but not severe due to the distance. They took more pictures from that position. The service guy said he got some good shots of it.

They tried to be realistic and told me they're not sure what will happen from here. If the other Prius hadn't had the same problem they would have recommended a windshield swap. As it is, neither of us want to take the shotgun approach of replacing parts unless we're sure it'll fix the problem.

To be honest, I think this is something I'm just going to have to learn to live with.

At least my name is on record as having this problem if Toyota comes up with a solution. If, as was stated earlier, there's only seven of us on record then it shouldn't cost them much to do right by us. [​IMG]

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there an aftermarket windshield available? I can't think of the other glass manufacturers at the moment :(

Mike

15. phvdriv3r

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're aware of the issue, they're just trained to not admit it or admit any fault to you. Make sure you call the 1800 number and get a case number with Toyota. It should be escalated to a case manager immediately. Trust me on this, its going to become a huge thorn in their side very soon. We should not be expected to live with a SAFETY defect. Make sure you emphasize the fact that this is safety related. Because it is, they really only get two+ real shots at fixing it under most lemon laws.

Also, make sure you have ANY VISIT documented FULLY each time you take it in to the dealer. This will help you in case of an arbitration/legal issue.

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never noticed the problem in my 2012 Three but I definitely see it in my 2012 PIP. :(

I am having the windshield replaced on Friday due to scratches and haze created by the service department using steel wool to clean the water spots etched into the glass. Uggg

17. Blu-ray

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am taking my car in late this afternoon in regards to the windshield issue. I'll let you know how it goes.

18. Blu-ray

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  19. phvdriv3r

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure you get a work order showing you brought the car in for the windshield and what they did or what they found. If a rep is coming over, you should already have a case number. If they mention they haven't seen this before, or that it's normal, or a characteristic... have them contact the Toyota NorCal Regional Office in San Ramon, CA. They should have PLENTY of good information about this issue. =D Also, file a NHTSA report... if you've done it all already, great! :)

20. Blu-ray

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A