1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius - Windshield triples light source images

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by srevelation, Nov 11, 2011.

1. cooljw

cooljw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Update: My Toyota dealer just replaced my windshield. I waited a couple weeks for them to get the special replacement windshield which was supposed to fix the problem.

I just picked up the car and even though it is broad daylight I can tell that the problem is still there, in fact it might be worse than before.

Now what? I know some have reported the Toyota replacement windshield fixed the problem, while others reported it has not.

2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like the service guys are guessing and not actually know what to look for. They should have tested the repair to see if they repaired anything. They don't know what they are doing.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

3. PriusAnimus

PriusAnimus New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update 2weeks after purchase, ~140 miles:

So I do notice the prism effect over vehicle headlights at night. As bizarre as it may sound I actually found myself cracking up at the sight. Not to make light of the issue, but it just looked plain funny with that goofy prism like rectangle above and below the lights. The triple arrows/ traffic signals I do not notice as much. They do exist but they are faint and only appear from a far distance and then gradually merge by the time I get close by. Bottomline, I still feel the car is worth it. I mean I just got 60 mpgs on my last quick 3 mile errand trip, cost me like 17 cents or something. Of course, I was driving slow as @#$%. I don't really stare that much at headlights while I'm driving in any car for that matter since prism effect or not headlights blind me and give me headaches. Granted my driving is 90% day 10% night and its only been 2 weeks so far so I will update in about a month when I do more night time driving.

WE0H likes this.
  4. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    Just read the 18 pages. I will let you know if I have the issue next time I drive during the night.

5. cooljw

cooljw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Update: So today I took my Prius to the dealer to get the windshield replaced (replacement #2 for those of you counting). This time they had folks from Toyota corporate come down to observe and apparently they are quite eager to retrieve the faulty replacement windshield to try to figure out Wth is wrong with their glass manufacturer in Japan.

So I just got a call from the dealer. They opened up the box containing the new replacement windshield they had waited weeks to receive, and it was BROKEN. Unbelievable. You can't make this stuff up.

[​IMG]

6. phvdriv3r

phvdriv3r Defender of the Glass - Lemon-ed a 2012 PHV

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not. Surprised. At. All. I was hoping wondering if mine would arrive broken as well. You may want to consider lemon law at this point... they really should be paying you to keep the car now.

7. Daryl Peter Cobranchi

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is really only one solution to this problem: a replacement windshield. And that means one not from AGC. If the problem lies in the vinyl (the plastic interlayer in the windshield) there's a good chance that any replacement AGC windshield will show the same effect. Safelite uses vinyl sourced from the US. I am experiencing this same problem with my 3-week-old 2013 Prius 2. I am going to insist on an ARG (aftermarket replacement glass) windshield from Safelite.

WE0H likes this.
  8. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have prius for over a week now and have driven it at day night and in rain and havent experienced the said effect yet or maybe im not paying too much close attention. Its 2010 prius 3 with solar and nav package sunroof

9. phvdriv3r

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2010s don't have the problem.

10. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    guess ive been lucky in this case...:)

11. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The benefit of buying a used '10 Prius ;) although my '12 doesn't have that special windshield :D

Mike

12. cooljw

cooljw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Update: Dealer replaced the windshield again. For those of you keeping count, this is Toyota windshield replacement #2. The problem is still there. :mad:

I don't get it! Not all Prius have the problem - in fact it seems like only the minority do based on what people report on this forum. It also seems Toyota has yet to identify the problem - instead they are just giving me new windshields hoping that eventually one will be a good one! Are they that dumb? All they need to do is look through the windshield at a bright light to check - doesn't even have to be at night.

13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd try to go aftermarket if you could or just Lemon Law the car. A shame you people have those defective windshields.

Mike

14. phvdriv3r

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lemon Law the car as soon as the 2014s hit. Take a test drive in one at night and look for the problem... if no problem, take Toyota to court, get your $$ back and get the new one.

15. cooljw

cooljw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    phvdriv3r: You said before that every 2012+ Prius has the problem (and even some Hondas) right? Have you ever found a Prius that did NOT have the problem? If there is a chance the problem can be fixed I am still inclined to try to get it fixed.

If not, your suggestion is not a bad one.

16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2012 Prius does NOT have this funny windshield.

Mike

17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto!

WE0H likes this.
  18. cooljw

cooljw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Toyota is offering to replace the car now. I need to figure out how registration, taxes, carpool sticker...etc. would work since I already took care of all that with my existing PiP. Also need to find a replacement that does not have the windshield issue.

WE0H likes this.
  19. ldmonte

ldmonte Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought my second Prius July 3rd form Janzen Toyota of Stillwater, OK. When the dealer called a few days later I reported the triple light enhancement noted by others on this thread. They cleaned the windshield and sent me on my way, but of course this did not solve the problem.

I checked into the issue online and found this thread. When I went back to the dealer a few days later to get title docs, I reported the same problem. The sales manager had me meet with the Asst. Service Manager. I gave him copies of the NHTSA reports of this issue and a link to this thread. They looked at the windshield and took down some information and sent mew on my way.

The service department at Janzen checked in with me every 10 days or so to let me know they were trying to get a replacement windshield. They said Toyota was aware of the issue, but there were very few windshields available that did not have this problem. At one point a regional service rep from Toyota was supposed to meet with me, but that meeting got cancelled.

Finally, around August 22nd I got a call that a windshield was available. I brought my Prius in on August 26th, got a loaner car, and had a new windshield that afternoon. Amazingly, the triple light enhancement technology is not present in my new windshield. I have noted no problems with the new windshield, so now I am completely happy with my second Prius.

The new windshield has the same identifiers on it as the old one (AGC DOT-20 M8141 AS1 10A), so I am not sure if they knew this windshield was trouble free or if it was random chance. I am pleased with my dealer for keeping in touch with me and resolving the issue, but I am not sure (based on posts in this thread) if Toyota has figured out how to identify problem windshields.

WE0H likes this.
  20. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just gave up on mine and learned to live with it. I have the CTX Clear Blue 80 on it now and a tinted strip at the top. I noticed the film the put on my car actually helped to ease the issue some. Not much, but it is a little bit better. The next time I buy a car I will do a night time test drive for sure.

Interesting thing, my partner just bought a 2014 Ford Mustang (glutton for punishment). We were driving the other night and this one had the triple light source towards the top of the windshield, the rest is a-ok. His 2007 had the prism effect all over (nothing close to the Prius though). I'm still wondering if it's not something to do with the angle of the glass?

WE0H likes this.