1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius - Windshield triples light source images

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by srevelation, Nov 11, 2011.

1. mathlal

mathlal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Definitely Mike, I played it cool and problem solved without drama, I'm satisfied.

It took about 1 month after the first unsuccessful replacement to get this second fix.

Obviously not the first time Toyota Canada hears from this since they were already investigating when my case was brought to their attention.

Over.

WE0H likes this.
  2. xPETEx

xPETEx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I called my service manager and she looked into it. She said the part number changed in 2013 and is what came on my 2013 Prius (I'll see if I can verify this on the windshield somehow tonight). She said she's willing to change the windshield for me, but she can't guarantee that it'll fix the issue. She also said she's only willing to change it once. They obviousoy can't keep swapping windshields forever in hopes that I get lucky. I'd love to hear if anybody else has any success with this supposed new part. I'm not sure whether I want to waste my one shot at fixing this.

SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 ?

3. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would open a case with Toyota corporate. That's what I had to do. They ended up coordinating with the dealer and sending a special windshield in for replacement. They asked the dealer to take pics and document the install and outcome. The new windshield fixed the problem.

phvdriv3r likes this.
  4. mathlal

mathlal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hey !

If your car is strill on warranty (like mine) I can't imagine my dealer giving me only "one" replacement, it's a defect ... on warranty ... fix it !

My 2 cents !

In my case, it was never a question, they would find a way ... it took a couple of months but it worked out !

pwrstick likes this.
  5. xPETEx

xPETEx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya I hear you, but at the same time I'm not willing to waste my time swapping windshields for no reason. I want a guaranteed solution, and the last time I rode in a brand new Prius v it was actually worse than my own windshield, so I'm also nervous of that.

What numbers are marked at the corner of your new windshield? Lets see if they're any different than what's in the spreadsheet that we started last year.

6. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I edited the sheet. The windshield data is the same as before.

7. phvdriv3r

phvdriv3r Defender of the Glass - Lemon-ed a 2012 PHV

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Red isn't the only color refracted. All visible light is capable of refraction in this case - even "white". And no, Toyota is not going to go to all that trouble until it is deemed mandatory by the DOT. They only have to produce a piece of glass that falls within their standards by law. If it's not covered, they aren't going to waste the money on R&D (...unless enough people complain to NHTSA and it gets a proper investigation finally (or someone dies)). That's why this issue is growing beyond Toyota and into other mfgs vehicles. Until the DOT sets a refraction standard, we'll continue to see this issue.

8. LVPVS

LVPVS New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Fellow Prius Drivers,

I just got my first ever Hybrid car a few months ago. It is a second(?) hand 2010 Prius.
    European, as I live in Europe.
    I am noticing the same effect on the windshield.
    If my seating position is set such a way that I see through the horizontal centerline of the windscreen, I see this effect.
    If I re-position my seating such a way I see through the windshield either above or below its center line this effect seems to be gone/less visible.
    I also notice some image distortions around the image of the HUD.

Thanks for reading.

pwrstick likes this.
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed it in my 2010. but I don't see the need for all the drama... "until someone gets killed" come on... at about a 1/2 mile away on a red/green traffic light or another cars head light I can see a bright light in the center with two ghost images above and below. At 1/4 mile the center light has really started to overpower the ghost images and at 100yds no ghost images at all...

I don't see how this is gonna kill someone or even remotely cause an accident... I guess if you are the type of driver that looks that far ahead and makes your final lane choice, braking, and acceleration decision and sticks to it and doesn't alter their decision making process. Then yes you make have a accident... But I'd venture to say that you'd still have an accident whether you saw a triple image or not..

Maybe my windshield is a "good" one...

10. pwrstick

pwrstick Junior Member

I can see it's not important to you, which is fine. Not going to argue with you there especially if you can live with it.

For me, while it creates a dizzying effect when I'm in traffic (4 lanes of woozy headlights, 4 lanes of woozy taillights, street lamps and Amber Alert signs), the issue is more of a "I dropped 33k on a car that has a defect."

Toyota delivered a product with a defect, plain and simple. If the paint was applied incorrectly that's not a safety hazard but perhaps you'd go back to the dealer expecting the paint be "right", and then go happily on your way.

Just offering another perspective outside of safety, though I think your post was just addressing what you deemed dramatic in another post.

Cheers

xPETEx likes this.
  11. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok I can see if you have issues with motion sickness vertigo, ect... it could be distracting...

honestly I never noticed it until I saw the thread and I would venture to say that all cars do it to some extent..you are looking through two pieces of glass on an angle the laws of physics all but guarantee the refraction of light.

every vehicle has problems... from the 13K sonics on up to 130K jaguar...

I'd venture to say the toyota are probably some of the bestmade cars with some of the best customer support (which ha sbeen taking it in the shorts lately). Hopefully I'll never have to interact with their support staff...

12. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  13. rsb97080

rsb97080 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After almost nine months since this ordeal began, windshield #4 is being installed tomorrow. A district manager/supervisor is overseeing it this time.

xPETEx likes this.
  14. rsb97080

rsb97080 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You and me both.

15. rsb97080

rsb97080 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nor did my 2007 Prius II or 2010 Prius IV.

16. rsb97080

rsb97080 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, possible safety issue aside, if I'm forking over $30k+ for a brand new car it better be defect free! If it isn't, they need to honor their warranty and fix the problem in a timely manner. If they have no fix, they should buy it back or exchange it.
    My two previous Prius' I bought brand new had no problems. But the third one has caused nine months (and counting) frustration over their stupid new windshields. Can you imagine having to go through this BS whenever anything you buy is unsatisfactory?

MarcSmith likes this.
  17. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well with the amount of recalls on the prius both past and current models, or any car for that matter. "defect free" is a thing of the past...and somehow toyota marketing is still selling cars which have faults...

I can understand your frustration...
    2011 to 2013 Prius Windshields Triple Light Sources :: California Lemon Law Lawyer Blog

Toyota Prius Visibility Wiper - 2012 TOYOTA PRIUS Problems With Visibility Wiper

Middleboro Review: Toyota Prius: What is this doing to our insurance rates?

basically...no crashes, no injuries, no deaths.... so it not going to raise much of blip on the radar screen. Which is pretty bizarre since all it takes in half a dozen teslas to catch on fire and have the NHTSA on their case..

18. phvdriv3r

phvdriv3r Defender of the Glass - Lemon-ed a 2012 PHV

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure you test drive at least once during the evening hours. Some of the Accord Hybrids (and Plugin) have this issue as well. Have never tested the Ford.

xPETEx likes this.
  19. xPETEx

xPETEx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Woops

SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 ?

20. rsb97080

rsb97080 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So much for that. Windshield #4 is as bad as #2 (the worst.) The lawyers get to sort it all out.