1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius - Windshield triples light source images

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by srevelation, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yours seems to be particularly bad compared to what normal people experience. I did look very carefully last night to see if I could see what you are talking about and finally noticed it with very bright sources of light very far away (had to be over 200-300 yards). It was also very very faint for my vehicle (unless I'm looking for it I won't see it) and usually blends in with the ambient glow of the light anyway.

Hopefully you can get this resolved. Good luck!

2. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Mine is definitely as bad if not worse. Does anyone have any advice on capturing the effect with a camera? I attempted to take a photo and vid with my iphone, but the image is too small to see or too blury to make out anything at all.

3. Franknbeans

Franknbeans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I noticed it ghosting(one above and below) the first night drive i took in my 2012 prius II. I have only had it for about 3 weeks now and i still see it every night drive. I have also filed a complaint with NHTSA on the issue.

4. Amit R

Amit R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You'll need a proper camera todo this. Nothing fancy. I used a point and shoot camera. Only catch is that you have to focus is properly to capture the effect. Which means auto-focus wont work, use the manual focus settings.

Like the youtube video/share it to facebook/write on toyota's facebook page/post the video to your local news's page.
    These seem to get some attention.
    NHTSA is also a good thing todo. They'll only look at it if the volume of complaints increases.

5. Amit R

Amit R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For those who are seeing the same issue as me, an update.
    I have an appointment on Nov 8th with a Toyota regional rep, who has agreed to come to the dealership close to my place. They however, will only meet me during the day (9am). I'm going to try and impress the fact that this issue is seen at night and share the video. Else plan to take the car into the garage and try and recreate the issue indoors.

I would probably make sense for people seeing the same issue to contact toyota directly to make the aware that this is a generic issue with the newer cars and needs to be taken care of.

6. Amit R

Amit R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Heres a new video I shot of what I see when driving at night. Relax, I was in the passenger seat this time.

For those who feel they've see this when they drive at night, please share this video with your friends/family etc. I'm trying to get a local news to pick up on this.

7. Amit R

Amit R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  8. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Probably best would be to find local university or consumer research group that had some definitively scientific test for light refraction, measurably, repeatable results vs. anecdotes or home videos is what will work.

9. has been

has been vote for anyone except Trump

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dude....put on some Pink Floyd.

I would also suggest a good glass polish with a random orbital polisher then a good sealant.
    Do a very good job polishing and sealing a small area then test.
    A good detailer should be able to fix you up.
    I can provide more info on products if you like.
    If you are in the greater Seattle area I would do it for free for you to see if it changed the effect.

10. NadaMucho

NadaMucho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm also getting the same annoying triple ghosting effect with my 2012...i do notice that it goes away as i get closer to the traffic light (about 50 feet, like mentioned by another member).

11. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's absolutely nuts trying to see thru that windshield. I better take my car out at night to verify if I have that defective glass :(

Mike

12. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It was one of those things I never noticed, until someone brought it up. And I drive a ton at night.

13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That'd be like me driving without my glasses :) I wouldn't own that car for one night being like that. Wonder what others have gotten done to fix it? I just stumbled on the thread as I have nothing else to do :)

Mike

14. phvdriv3r

phvdriv3r Defender of the Glass - Lemon-ed a 2012 PHV

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So its been like forever since I posted last and had totally forgotten about this thread...

Latest update... still not fixed. I have filed a complaint with NHTSA and saw that only about 3-5 complaints exist for the 2011-2012 models. If you haven't already complained, DO IT.

Complaints can be filed here: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint Form | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

15. Amit R

Amit R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Latest update!

Met with a Toyota regional rep this morning. Since it was during the day, I took my video along and showed that to the Rep (as if they couldnt log onto youtube). To his credit he saw the video and didnt make snide comments. The issue is very clear in the video and he said he'd meet with his engineering staff in the afternoon to discuss the issue with them. The follow up call is supposed to happen by tomorrow.

I dont know if this will be more of the same. I've filed complaints with NHTSA, Toyota, Dealer, posted to youtube, face book. I cant drive like this. Next steps if the Rep doesnt work out is to get hold of a local/news agency to pick up this issue.

Heres the video again

16. Amit R

Amit R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Interesting thoughts.
    Why should I have to take a 2 week old car to a detailer?
    Also, If this were as simple as that, then the dealership should;ve been able to fix it.If it really were an issue of cleaning the glass then Toyota sure does a crappy job prepping their new cars on sale.

Bottomline, They've kept my car in the shop for a day before returning the car (detailing it even). initially acknowledging the issue, later refuting saying I have sensitive eyes.

17. NadaMucho

NadaMucho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the update, Amit R.

18. Amit R

Amit R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All those who are seeing this issue, please
    - like the video
    - like the facebook post on Toyots's facebook page about this (you may have to search for it)
    - file a case with Toyota. number is 800-331-4331 (This is the most important)
    If Toyota realises that this is becoming a systemic issue, they'll be more inclined to fix it fast rather than face another bruising late reaction to a genuine quality problem.

19. Amit R

Amit R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Another update. Boy is today filled with them.

The Toyota rep called. Apparently the engineers looked at the problem and see it. This is because of the shape of the windshield. The reason why only 2012 Prius'es are seeing this is because not only the windshield but the body frame curviture has changed a bit which causes this phenomenon tobe seen visible in 2012 priuses and not before those.

However, they interestingly believe that they have *nothing* to fix here. They asked me to live with the issue for now. If however there is some update in the future (I think they mean if enough people complaint) they'll contact me with a further course of action.

I URGE ALL FOLKS SEEING THIS ISSUE TO CALL TOYOTA. THEY NEED TO KNOW THAT THIS IS A BEING SEEN BY MANY PEOPLE.

I'm thinking of my next move now.
    Maybe take it to news organization (If someone here knows someone in the media/news business, please help)
    Maybe take it to small claims court
    Maybe hire a lawyer

Any suggestions?

cooljw likes this.
  20. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have the same issue. It is especially pronounced with red LED tail lights at night. I only see one extra image. It is a cm or so above the actual light.